What's new

Best Laptop for Presentation? (1 Viewer)

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
I'm researching the best laptop for presentations, particularly involving video clips. I'm looking at the MacBook. Any advice? Ideally I'm looking under $1500.

Thanks

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
That's like saying I'm looking for the best sports car to drive at 55mph. Any $300 laptop will do word, web and presentations just fine, even a Chromebook.

Now if you want the most -elegant-, lightweight, powerful for a specific project, fastest, quietest or other category we could have an interesting conversation, but, the current one as you have it framed, makes no sense at all.

If you just want a good, cheap, light macbook for presentations buy a refurb macbook air 13" and call it a day. Net cost should be about $800 or so. Not at all 'sexy' but will get the job done.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Barry,

Or if you want the latest and greatest, the new Macbook is coming out next month.

It's an AIR model. Retina Screen. The latest technology. Starts at, I believe, $1299.

You can see it on the Apple site.

Would DEFINITELY recommend a Mac over anything --- anything!

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Uhh, any computer?

Any computer at all will do that well.

I like macs. Buy if you have the money.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Barry, do you plan to do video editing? If you simply need a laptop to show presentations, any computer from the past five years will do that.

Are you creating the presentations, or showing others' work. If you're not in full control. Or if you're collaborating with people working a in a conventional office, you need to have windows and PowerPoint available (which you can do on a Mac).

If you're doing video editing and you have full control, a recent MacBook Pro is a good option.

If you're doong video editing, presentation creation, and don't really need the ability to work on slides on the go, another option is to buy a nice desktop computer for the work, and a cheap, light laptop specifucally for taking presentations wherever you take them.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Thanks. Let's say I have a presentation on file (images and video clips that I edited). It can then just be played, say, on a macbook via Keynote, without further embellishment. However, can Keynote itself "self create" the same program material in a more inventive way? Does Power Point offer any advantage over Keynote? My emphasis would be as much with video clips as with slides.

Up until now I've been showing my presentations on a DVD player hooked to a projector, but I'd like to now use a laptop.

Once again I certainly appreciate your thoughts so far.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Short answer, Powerpoint can embed playable videos. I'm sure Keynote can too, but I've not used it for such things. After that, most of it will be your skill and effort in crafting your "story" :)

As you may well know, good presentations aren't about the tools, they're about the storytelling. Whether professional or personal, a great presenter will have a good editing and a solid narrative; that is supplemented by all the great things you can do with the computer tools.

If you're new, or already really good but want to grow further, something like Toastmasters can help you hone your craft.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
You couldn't be more correct about the storytelling. I just want to review the tech stuff so it doesn't get in the way!

:blink:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks