What's new

Help identifying theater sub with built in amp (1 Viewer)

UpdateYourselfAdobe

Auditioning
Real Name
Austin
Hi guys,

I signed up here with hopes of identifying a theater sub setup that I previously had. I sold it a few years ago but decided to get another one. The problem is, I can't remember a model number or a name for it to shop for one again. I remember some details about it and hopefully it will ring some bells with someone here.

*I believe the subwoofer was an Infinity (EDITED: I THOUGHT IT WAS RCA BUT WAS WRONG) 12"

*It was a black box, wood not plastic, (I don't think it had feet on it)

*The subwoofer fired forward

*The round port fired up

*The back of the box had an amp mounted. It had a "volume" and "bass" knob. The amp had an external heat-sink, push-release wire terminals for input and output (16ga or 18ga). I'm fairly confident that it was rated around 250rms but can't remember for sure.

Does this ring a bell to anyone? I would REALLY like to get my hands on another setup like this. Or if you could recommend something similar?

Edited to add this...after some searching, it's very similar to Theater Solutions Sub12f. The main differences being "gain" and "crossover" knobs instead of "volume" and "bass" and the fact it's a slot port, which is near the bottom. I'd really like to find a upward firing port and front facing speaker though.

EDIT 2: Just thought of these details. The power switch was a rocker switch type. It had auto shutoff that kicked in if played too hard. It did not require RCA wires, you just plugged it into the wall and then ran speaker wires to the push-release wire terminals for high level input.

Edit 3: It was approximately 18" X 18 "X 18" box and the subwoofer was 12 inch

EDIT 4: It might have been an Infinity speaker according to my friend who originally sold me the box/sub.

EDIT 5: After some searching for Infinity powered subwoofers, I might have discovered an overlooked detail. The setup I had, might have been a downward firing subwoofer. The box had 4 holes around the subwoofer that I had always ASSUMED used to be the mounting holes for a grill of some sort...those might have been for the feet actually. The Infinity BU-80 looks VERY close to what I had.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Black wood box, speaker-terminal inputs, amp with heat sinks. Honestly, you’re describing probably 80% or more of the subwoofers that have ever been built. I’ve never seen a sub with a top port, you probably just had it oriented the wrong direction like the one in your picture.

Your best bet is to just move on and get something else. You can probably get a better sub today for what you paid for that one anyway.
t.gif

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Honestly it sounds like you're in the market for a powered subwoofer. Unless you just have to have an RCA 12" bottom firing unit pretty much any sub will do. When it comes to low end you don't have to match your other speakers as far as brand goes. Granted the quality and overall experience will vary greatly among the different brands but I highly doubt that you would notice anything but a positive difference between an RCA and another brand of sub. It sounds like you just need one with high level inputs.

If I were you I would look at these instead of the unicorn that is going to be the RCA.
  • Dayton Sub 1200 $165 Pretty much your entry level 12" sub
  • BIC F12 $205 King of the budget level units, this should also fit the bill nicely
  • NXG NX-BAS-500 $270 It's been said to be the best sub $400 sub out right now.

UpdateYourselfAdobe

Auditioning
Real Name
Austin
Wayne A. Pflughaupt said:
Black wood box, speaker-terminal inputs, amp with heat sinks. Honestly, you’re describing probably 80% or more of the subwoofers that have ever been built. I’ve never seen a sub with a top port, you probably just had it oriented the wrong direction like the one in your picture.

Your best bet is to just move on and get something else. You can probably get a better sub today for what you paid for that one anyway.
t.gif

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Well, I think I have it narrowed down to an Infinity subwoofer, not an RCA, per my edits above. You're probably right about me having it oriented wrong. I think someone had removed the feet from it before I got it, so I wasn't aware that it was a downward facing sub.

UpdateYourselfAdobe

Auditioning
Real Name
Austin
ArmSC said:
Honestly it sounds like you're in the market for a powered subwoofer. Unless you just have to have an RCA 12" bottom firing unit pretty much any sub will do. When it comes to low end you don't have to match your other speakers as far as brand goes. Granted the quality and overall experience will vary greatly among the different brands but I highly doubt that you would notice anything but a positive difference between an RCA and another brand of sub. It sounds like you just need one with high level inputs.

If I were you I would look at these instead of the unicorn that is going to be the RCA.
  • Dayton Sub 1200 $165 Pretty much your entry level 12" sub
  • BIC F12 $205 King of the budget level units, this should also fit the bill nicely
  • NXG NX-BAS-500 $270 It's been said to be the best sub $400 sub out right now.
Is that NXG in a ported box?

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
You can rest easy it's ported. 3" must be bottom mounted which is why you can't see it in the pic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks