What's new

How To Reduce Noise in Canon 60D ? (1 Viewer)

saycheeseephotography

Auditioning
Real Name
Karks
Dear all,

I am new to DSLR. i just bought canon 60D.

Im using 18-135mm (5.6 aperature MAX) base lens.

While take the photo in tubelight lighting. the photo will appears noisy. what will i do to reduce that noise ?

i use to take a photo in AUTO ISO, when MAX APERATURE 5.6 and also i have tried with the AUTO mode without flash.

Is that is the photo quality will get when we are using these type of lens ?

If i use the 50mm prime lens, can i get the good result in my clicks ?

Please guide me.

Thanks

Karks

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Set the ISO to 200 and deal with lighting issues by either adding more light or shooting on a tripod.

If you must use higher ISOs Lightroom does a pretty nifty job of bringing noise down to manageable levels, but nothing will 'fix' going beyond your camera's best ISO range.

Using your prime you can set the aperture open but this will reduce depth of field, which may or may not be desirable. You are then limited to your 50mm field of view.

I recommend buying the book Understanding Exposure.

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-3rd-Edition-Photographs/dp/0817439390

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Learn to read the histogram on your camera. You should always "expose to the right", which means making sure you push your exposure as high as possible without blowing out the highlights. As Sam suggests, Lightroom does as excellent job in cleaning up noise that may be there from a high ISO shot, too. Shoot in the RAW format to take the most advantage of noise reduction when using that program. LR is well worth the investment for processing RAW files -- it does a much better job than Canon's free Digital Photo Professional software that comes with the camera.

Sam's recommendation of "Understanding Exposure" is also excellent. I have recommended that book more times than I care to remember. It will help you learn enough that you will never want to use the AUTO mode on your camera ever again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks