What's new

"Seventh Son" Review (1 Viewer)

Yavin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ben Mk
In short:

Adapted from the first book in author Joseph Delaney's 13-part "The Wardstone Chronicles", Seventh Son tries hard to be the next big fantasy franchise — à la The Lord of the Rings meets Harry Potter. But aside from scene-stealing, scenery-chewing performances from Jeff Bridges and Julianne Moore, the filmmakers' ambitions are rarely ever matched by what we see on-screen. Instead, Seventh Son ends up being a middle-of-the-road action-adventure that really doesn't do much to build a case for a franchise. It's not a terrible film, just terribly forgettable.

Highlights from my full review:

Just as films like The Hunger Games, Divergent and The Maze Runner all share the same cinematic mindset, Seventh Son makes no bones about drawing its inspiration from the heroic journeys that have come before it, such as the Star Wars and The Lord of the Rings series. Yet, for the most part, director Sergei Bodrov (Mongol: The Rise of Genghis Khan) and screenwriters Charles Leavitt (Blood Diamond) and Steven Knight (Locke) do little to distinguish their pic from its big screen brethren, serving up creatures, locales and character archetypes moviegoers have seen time and time again.

That's not to say the movie isn't without its highlights. Chief among them is Bridges' wise-cracking, squinty-eyed portrayal of the pointy-bearded Gregory. For though the actor is no stranger to playing the grizzled mentor to a young protégé — as he did in The Giver and TRON: Legacy — he still manages to find ways to imbue his character with a sense of fun, chewing through the scenery with a strange accent that sounds as if he's speaking with a mouthful of marbles. Likewise, Moore turns in a deliciously campy and over-the-top performance in this, her first major role as a villain. And she's clearly enjoying every moment of it, vamping it up like nobody's business.

However, despite their combined efforts, Bridges and Moore fail to counter the movie's more middling qualities, most notably the fact that Barnes doesn't make much of an impression as the titular character and that the solid supporting cast (which also includes Djimon Hounsou, Olivia Williams and Antje Traue) are given little to do. There's also the matter of the film's woefully unconvincing CGI, its uninspired battle sequences (nothing we haven't seen before in films like Snow White and the Huntsman and Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters) and clichéd dialogue that probably played better on-set than it does on-screen.

The film also leaves many stones unturned and many questions unanswered. For example, just what exactly makes a seventh son of a seventh son so unique? And just who are the Falcon Knights? In all likelihood, the filmmakers intended for these points to be addressed in future sequels. Ironically though, Seventh Son's prospects of seeing further big screen installments would have benefited greatly from some much-needed elaboration on the specifics. As it stands, its mythology is shallow at best, making the story — and the film itself — feel more generic than anything else.

Film rating: 3 out of 5

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
A friend of mine who reviewed this for another site (Spinning Platters) said that the 3D conversion was so bad that it was unwatchable. I wonder if the screening he attended might've been out of focus on top of that.

Yavin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ben Mk
Aside from being an underwhleming 3D presentation on the whole, the 3D at my (IMAX) screening did not seem out-of-focus. However, the IMAX glasses did not fit well over my regular glasses, making things appear out-of-focus around the edges of my vision.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks