What's new

Saturday Night Live Season 40.. (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Search didn't find a thread and I went back four pages .. if there is one, feel free to merge it.

After what I thought was one of the better episodes in a while with Kevin Hart, this last week with Blake Sheldon ranks as one of the worst episodes I've seen in years.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
mattCR said:
Search didn't find a thread and I went back four pages .. if there is one, feel free to merge it.

After what I thought was one of the better episodes in a while with Kevin Hart, this last week with Blake Sheldon ranks as one of the worst episodes I've seen in years.

I thought the Blake Shelton episode was pretty decent, considering he's not an actor (I put him in the same category as pro athlete hosts). The Wishing Boot was great, and his Bachelor skit was good, too. Blake read the cue cards less than most hosts, and, many times, appeared to have complete memorized his lines (I know that Lorne insists people read the cards, but it was nice to see someone ignore them).

I thought Kevin Hart's monologue was great, but his energy made a lot of sketches tiring (as in I was exhausted from listening to him breathlessly deliver his lines without pause). I thought Sia was a great music guest, though. Actually, the music has been generally strong for the last few seasons: I've discovered a number of great acts.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
IMO both episodes had their moments, but overall they weren't anything special.

However, I will never again be able to look at Kate McKinnon without seeing Justin Bieber. :)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I thought this past week's Weekend Update was one of the worst ever. Every punchline landed with a thud and mostly silence from the studio audience.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Just caught the 40th special earlier tonight, and man, Chevy Chase did not look well. Frankly, he looked and acted a lot like a guy on the verge of a heart attack. I've seen that bloated, sweaty, off-color look before on other people right before their first "big one." Asshole or not, he's not doing well. Death Watch 2015?

It felt like he was almost on the verge of breaking down in tears and apologizing for being such an asshole to everyone from the original cast. I sensed deep regret. He should get it in now, so he gets a solid "In Memoriam"-nod at the Oscars.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
joshEH said:
Just caught the 40th special earlier tonight, and man, Chevy Chase did not look well. Frankly, he looked and acted a lot like a guy on the verge of a heart attack. I've seen that bloated, sweaty, off-color look before on other people right before their first "big one." Asshole or not, he's not doing well. Death Watch 2015?

It felt like he was almost on the verge of breaking down in tears and apologizing for being such an asshole to everyone from the original cast. I sensed deep regret. He should get it in now, so he gets a solid "In Memoriam"-nod at the Oscars.
I saw bits and pieces of the pre-show and the special and when I saw Chevy on the red carpet, he struck me as fighting off getting emotional more than suffering any type of ailment. It's been a couple years since I've seen him on Community but he didn't come off as a sickly old man there so I'm chalking it up to emotions rather than illness.

Chevy could have dropped dead on stage and he would still have been funnier than Eddie Murphy was.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I only saw Chris Rock and Eddie Murphy and the sports clips. It was shockingly meh. I figured if that was all they had for Eddie to do, why bother with the rest?

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I laughed quite a few times, and it started off promising with Dan Akroyd reprising Bass O Matic, even though he's clearly rusty. But it feels like even with 3.5 hours they were just trying to cram too much in. And then they had to waste 10 minutes of that for the mediocre "The Californians" skit, the only funny part being the Bradley Cooper/Betty White kiss. With all of the material they had to work with, it should have been epic.

Michael Henry

Second Unit
Real Name
J. Michael Henry
I thought the choices of Miley Cyrus And Kanye West were insulting to the great musical performances for the last 40 years that SNL has had...

Paul McCartney, Paul Simon...and Miley and Kanye!?!?

Come on....

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Favorite moments last night:
  • The Larry David/Jerry Seinfeld interaction, and the "Disneyland" quote.
  • Adding Jon Lovitz to the "In Memoriam" reel.
  • Kenan playing Bill Cosby again, and riffing on his favorite "potent potables."
  • Celebrity Jeopardy!, and Connery saying he left Trebek's name in the snow, but in his mother's handwriting.
I was stunned how many clips they showed from the non-Lorne years. It was the most recognition they've given to that period of the show probably ever.

I did appreciate Norm MacDonald making sure to introduce Chevy Chase in the least-sincere manner possible. And the fact that the other Update alums were laughing as he did it -- because they likely hate Chevy, too -- only made it better.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
I only saw the last hour or so, and was wondering, did Mr. Bill show up?

The memorial segment was touching and surprising. I thought Lovitz had expired for a moment there. :blink:

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I don't recall seeing Mr. Bill during the clips, but I could've easily missed him, too, given the sheer length of the broadcast.

In Celebrity Jeopardy!, I loved how they knew people would immediately be looking for which category Darrell Hammond's Connery would purposely mispronounce, so they put in the easy one ("Who Reads" for "Whore Ads"), but then also put in the unexpected ("Let it Snow"/"Le Tits Now") for later.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I missed the 40th special, and am searching Youtube and Hulu for clips. If you've got links to great buts, maybe post them here?

I haven't really watch in 20 years, not since college. I loved the Jeapardy reunion, though Connery seemed not nearly as crackling as I remembered. But Reynolds and Bieber were killing me!

The opening rap with Fallon and Timberlake I found delightful. Seinfeld's Q&A was great. Wayne's World was good nostalgia, if mediocre humor. The Calfornians...I have no idea what that was, and I'd had my fill two minutes in.

I'm looking for a bit with Hanks and Martin. Anyone know where it is?

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
joshEH said:
I don't recall seeing Mr. Bill during the clips, but I could've easily missed him, too, given the sheer length of the broadcast.
Mr. Bill was included in the montage tribute to all of the prerecorded bits throughout the years. Oh nooooo!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
On a happier note, airing the pilot episode on Saturday was a pleasant surprise. Sure, not all of it held up, but it was very interesting to see how things have changed (and some of it did hold up).

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Is this gonna re-air at all? I missed it. I'd even be willing to buy it on DVD if it isn't too steep.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
It's getting rebroadcast on Friday where I live (from 7-10 PM), so you might give your local NBC listings a check.

Was anyone else kinda shocked at how badly Bradley Cooper seems to have let himself go recently? Not sure if he was preparing for a movie role that calls for doughy girth or what, but man.

Just a year or two ago, here, he was pretty ripped and chiselled...now, he totally looks like Barry Manilow.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Greg Kettell said:
Mr. Bill was included in the montage tribute to all of the prerecorded bits throughout the years. Oh nooooo!
Looks like he did record a message for his fellow cast members.

He did appear for the 15th anniversary, on a live feed from his yacht, which was quickly capsized by Sluggo in a larger vessel. :lol:

IIRC, this was the same special Eddie Murphy bailed on, so they put his entourage on stage instead, which made not a lick of sense.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
joshEH said:
It's getting rebroadcast on Friday where I live (from 7-10 PM), so you might give your local NBC listings a check.
Yep! Coming on at 8pm my time zone. Thanks for the tip!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks