What's new

Help needed for layout/design (1 Viewer)

SkyPiolot

Auditioning
Real Name
Bern
Fist time PJ buyer looking for a unit that meets several criteria:

-LED, to save from expensive bulb replacing

-1080P

-3D support

-Picture quality that at least comes off as sharp (me and my novice friends won't be able to tell if the blacks are truly super duper black, et cetera)

-Enough lumens to be visible in a moderately dark room (blackout curtains on the window, shutters on the sliding door)

-WiFi would be nice, to stream from my computer. Not a deal breaker though

-Android OS for flexibility's sake

-Moderate silence in operation. The use of booming surround sound makes this not a huge deal, but sub-leafblower levels of fan noise would be nice

SOOOO...

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/2014-New-Arrival-Luxcine-Z2000SD-2205P-Blu-ray-3D-DLP-LED-Mini-Projector-1500-Lumens-Android/300840_2039778734.html

This unit here seems to check and double check those points above, but is a bit on the... well.. shady Chinese manufacturer side. Aliexpress storefront with broken English in the descriptions, that sort of thing.

So my question is: Is there anything on the specs that justify the low price? Is there any offering from a more well vetted manufacturer that ticks the boxes and costs about the same? Also the unit is 1200x800 native, as many appear to be. Will that deliver a good 1080p image? Is the 1500 lumens enough? Whats the deal with the odd 2205p resolution? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

SPECS PULLED FROM THE LINK ABOVE:
Lens:
Manual focus with 1080P resolution
is_customized:
Yes
Resolution:
1280*800
Brand Name:
LUXCINE
Style:
DLP
Portable:
Yes
Use:
Business & Education
Home Theater Projector:
Yes
Brightness:
1500 Lumens
Projection Distance:
0.3m-5m
Type:
Digital Projector
Lamp:
Super Bright LED Osram Q7
Model Number:
Z2000SD
Contrast Ratio:
4001:1-5000:1
Weight:
1.4KG
Supported resolution (Max):
1920*2205
Android 4.2.2
Color reproduction:
16.7 Million
Lamp life span:
>30000H
Throw Ratio:
1.22:1
Image Aspect Ratio:
16:10 & 16:9 & 4:3
Video Inputs:
HDMI*2, USB*2, Memory Card Slot, Composite Video RCA, VGA D-Sub
Audio Outputs:
Digital Optical TOSLINK, Headphone Jack

SkyPiolot

Auditioning
Real Name
Bern
The first concern that jumps out is a maybe pretty janky OS implementation, but some videos of the unit on youtube seem to present a pretty basic file navigator which is all I would need to pull files from my computer over WiFi.

SkyPiolot

Auditioning
Real Name
Bern
Attached is the current plan for the theater room in an addition we are looking to start. I've done so much reading on room design, seating, equipment, etc, etc that my head hurts. I've decided to let the experts here provide help if you have the time.

Input I can provide is this room, of the addition, is basement level with left and bottom walls (closets are on right wall for reference) will be concrete block walls. Top wall is existing house which, at this level, is butting up against concrete block wall. Approximate dimension of the room is 15'x22'x8'. Closets are basically 2'x3'x8'. The other piece of information is that my wife would like to have seating for 12.

A little more information is my thought would be to use the closet at the bottom to hold the equipment rack putting a vented fan to the outside for cooling. I also plan to have a louvered door installed on the back side of the closet (in exercise room) to be able to get to back of equipment and provide means of pulling in air for ventilation.

Question on the closet..is it big enough for equipment rack or should I move both closets (for that room) together for more space.

Other than that I ask for your thoughts/design. I'm not going to stipulate size of screen that will be up to you guys to provide best recommendations. I'm assuming best video equipment is projector.

The only other thing to remember is my wife would like seating for 12.

Appreciate your help with this!

Attachments

• BASEMENT FLOOR.pdf
    83.6 KB · Views: 497

SkyPiolot

Auditioning
Real Name
Bern
One thing I should add...my opinion when it comes to the 12 person seating. If this number of seating negates the best video experience I would rather decrease the number in seating capacity versus degrading viewing experience.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I have seating for 12(sometimes more). I have three identical futons. We'll lay them out at times (kids watching stuff).

First thing to do is soundproofing. Acoustic drywall.

A budget would help here. If I were to redo my entire theatre tomorrow (instead of over 20 some years...) with like kind stuff, it would likely cost $80,000(walls, lighting etc included).

My this summer/fall updates of an AVR for Atmos(DTS version as well) and projector(real 4K), in wholesale dollars, is setting me back $10,000.

SkyPiolot

Auditioning
Real Name
Bern
Thanks for the input Sam...I understand there are many factors that will go into this room but for right now i'm just trying to figure out, given the dimensions of the room, what would be the best screen size and what does that equate to as far as seating accommodations.

Your thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks