What's new

Home Theater with 3 or more HDMI and wireless rear speakers (1 Viewer)

tmatrix

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony
I am looking to set up a Home Theater at my cabin. I'm looking for one that has 4K pass through and Blu Ray 3D support.

However, the key things I need are 3 or more HDMI inputs and wireless rear speakers, but I can't seem to find that in any system out there. I really like the Samsung systems but they all have 1 HDMI input or at most 2.

Honestly, I am at a loss for why they build HT systems with 1 or 2 inputs. Most people have multiple devices - heck, I could use 8 HDMI inputs on my system at home.

Does anyone know of a system like this or maybe can recommend an inexpensive alternative to set up something like this?

Thanks,

-T

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Onkyo 838
Wireless kit*
Separate 75wpc amp

Cheapest, new, solution.

*There are no kits for this purpose. I started a thread about this ages ago. Any kits you find specify that "line level" is required. Which means the sending end can NOT have volume control. Best Buy sells a "rear wireless kit" add-on with 15wpc(might be 25) that gets horrible reviews.

Cause...

Wireless doesn't work.

WiSA (google it) had product at CES this year. Nobody has said anything about it. Aperion made a 5.1 "wireless theater" with their Intimus line using Summit(Summit is the people behind WiSA). It sucked and cost $3500.

tmatrix

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony
Thanks for the quick response!

I was originally looking at the Samsung HT-H5500W, as it has wireless rear speakers and generally good reviews, but it only has *one* HDMI input.

The way the room is built makes wired rear speakers either an eyesore or a major construction job. It's not a huge room, and it's our vacation home,

so I didn't want to drop $2K on a home theater. I was looking for something in the Samsung range but with more HDMI ports, if anyone knows of

anything.

Thanks!

-Tony

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
tmatrix said:
Thanks for the quick response!

I was originally looking at the Samsung HT-H5500W, as it has wireless rear speakers and generally good reviews, but it only has *one* HDMI input.

The way the room is built makes wired rear speakers either an eyesore or a major construction job. It's not a huge room, and it's our vacation home,

so I didn't want to drop $2K on a home theater. I was looking for something in the Samsung range but with more HDMI ports, if anyone knows of

anything.

Thanks!

-Tony
Take a look at the Panasonic Sc-BTT490. It has 2 HDMI inputs and has capability for wireless rears (with kit purchased separately). It's their 2012 model but still available new on Amazon. I have this model and researched HTIB's (with BD players) exhaustively before buying one. Most of the folks on this site hate HTIB's but for me it's not worth the hassle of separates and I need wireless rears at a reasonable costs. Bottomline, it works for me. I can say there is no all-in-one unit (i.e. HTIB with BD player) that has more than 2 HDMI inputs. I've looked. Luckily, my set-up only needs 1 input as I sold my PS3 so only my Directv unit is connected.

HTIB:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-SC-BTT490-5-1-Channel-1000-Watt-Blu-Ray/dp/B0078GCLUG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421269264&sr=8-1&keywords=sc-btt490

Wireless Kit (it's expensive on Amazon, but Panasonic direct has it much cheaper, half the price http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/SH-FX71).

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-SH-FX71-Wireless-Speaker-System/dp/B003DKEILG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421269303&sr=8-1&keywords=SH-FX71

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Rear speakers are for 7.1. You need side surrounds (aka surrounds) which should be placed to either side of your listening area. If you can't do this then perhaps 3.1 would be better.

tmatrix

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony
Does anyone have any insight into why they would produce HTIB systems with only 1 or 2 HDMI inputs? Most people have multiple devices: Blu Ray, Apple TV, FireTV, PS4, etc. these days. It just doesn't seem to make any sense. Are they just trying to prevent cannibalization of their higher end components?

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
tmatrix said:
Does anyone have any insight into why they would produce HTIB systems with only 1 or 2 HDMI inputs? Most people have multiple devices: Blu Ray, Apple TV, FireTV, PS4, etc. these days. It just doesn't seem to make any sense. Are they just trying to prevent cannibalization of their higher end components?
My guess (and it's only a guess), most consumer homes have a set-top box (cable/satellite) and maybe a game system hooked up. So that's 2 HDMI's. Since an HTIB includes DVD/BD player, most people don't need more than 2. I used the word "most" liberally, but 90% of my friends and relatives don't have a ton of stuff beyond what I mentioned hooked up. My kids all have their game systems hooked up in their rooms and outside of my set-top and DVD/BD player included in the HTIB (which also provides my streaming access to Netflix, Amazon, etc), I just don't have another need to hook-up HDMI since I gave up playing games (got tired on nothing but FPS and zombie games). I think we'd all probably be shocked by how many people don't even have a minimal sound set-up, they just hook up everything directly to their TV's and use the TV speakers.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
tmatrix said:

It's difficult to answer this question without coming off as snobby...

The whole point of HTiB systems is to provide a low cost surround experience. Costs have to be cut somewhere - speakers, amp quality, and similarly, switching capabilities. These are the corners that are cut to provide 5.1 systems for $300 and less.

Making matters worse, there is a large portion of the population that considers the surround sound experience as secondary to the video experience. As a result, many people, (while willing to spend $2k or more on a display) balk at the thought of spending $500 for even a "basic" starter system and would never even consider spending an equivalent amount for the sound that they do for the video.

In reality, sound is 50% of the "home theater experience" and as such, requires a comparable budget to the "video" portion.

Furthermore, the biggest part of the "sound" experience (the speakers) also represent the single biggest opportunity for long-term investment of your dollar. Speaker technology hasn't changed and isn't likely to change (atmos excepted) much in the future. If purchased smartly, speakers will far outlast ANY OTHER COMPONENT of your system.

So, getting back to your question about lack of inputs on HTiB systems? Well, an unwilingness (on the part of the consumer) to spend more money for a truly expandable and robust system (real AVR and separate speakers) is often indicative of:

1) A desire for simplicity ("I don't want to have to shop for separate things and make more than one decision!")

2) Lack of concern over the overall sound quality of such a system.

Both of these "consumer preferences" can be achieved if the user connects devices directly to the display (using HDMI) then uses the display's audio output to connect to the HTiB system.

If you've read this forum much, or done much research on your own, you will know that connecting devices in this way results in the loss of true digital surround audio (the display will downconvert digital surround to analog stereo) - but as the consumer has less of a concern of overall sound quality, they are either oblivious or apathetic to the result.

Sadly, the snobbish response to this sort of question boils down to "If you want good sound, you need to spend more money".

Thankfully, there are better "pre-packaged" systems in the $400-500 range from Onkyo, Denon, etc. that offer an improved system, but then that exposes the third preference of many consumers these days:

3) Don't tell me I actually have to READ a MANUAL.

tmatrix

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony
I don't think the only point of some HTIB systems is to provide a low cost experience (sub $300. I agree that consumers want something easier to use.

All of us have wrangled with devices that don't end up playing nicely together (hello Panasonic) and some people prefer something they know that just works together (see the Apple vs. build your computer debates for an *endless* source of this).

There are higher end (over $500) systems such as these:

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/home-theater/HT-H6500WM/ZA

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A7591999

That still have one or two inputs.

I think the combination of Set Top box, blu-ray player, video game system and AppleTV/Roku/FireTV is still a common one for consumers. In addition, from a component standpoint, additional HDMI inputs are dirt cheap to add to a system like the above.

Not to get too conspiratorial, but I think there is some protectionism of higher end components really at work here.

-Tony

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
tmatrix said:

To be fair, those are "more expensive" systems, not really "higher end". There is a distinction.

Many consumers simply don't understand what they're buying or how it's supposed to work and aren't interested in doing any research or educating themselves any more than is absolutely necessary.

They see "1000 watts" on the box, and figure it's better than one that says "800 watts". They see the sleek, slim receiver/Blu-ray player in one small form factor and like it more than the boxy receiver that needs an outboard player. They prefer "tallboy" speakers with a glossy plastic cabinet to the boxy bookshelf speakers even though the tallboys have 3" paper cones and don't go below 150Hz.

I wouldn't say it's a conspiracy to protect higher end components, if anything it's taking advantage of consumers that simply don't know any better and judge with their eyes rather than their brains.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Jason Charlton said:
To be fair, those are "more expensive" systems, not really "higher end". There is a distinction.

Many consumers simply don't understand what they're buying or how it's supposed to work and aren't interested in doing any research or educating themselves any more than is absolutely necessary.

They see "1000 watts" on the box, and figure it's better than one that says "800 watts". They see the sleek, slim receiver/Blu-ray player in one small form factor and like it more than the boxy receiver that needs an outboard player. They prefer "tallboy" speakers with a glossy plastic cabinet to the boxy bookshelf speakers even though the tallboys have 3" paper cones and don't go below 150Hz.

I wouldn't say it's a conspiracy to protect higher end components, if anything it's taking advantage of consumers that simply don't know any better and judge with their eyes rather than their brains.
No different that LCD's on torch mode being the preferred choice in the marketplace.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
And I will admit, as a HTIB user, that I am much more interested in the visual aspects of my viewing than the audio. For example, when I travel I can tolerate a basic sound experience (i.e., just the TV) with an HD visual presentation, but a great sound experience with an SD visual would drive me crazy. I never listen to music so, for me, an HTIB is fine. But that's just me.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Then you have companies like BO$E praying on consumers ignorance (and even laziness) that sell very expensive HTiB's that perform no better than the $300 models. But because their marketing department convinces folks that they are 'high end', they are able to sell them.

It is best to be educated (like you are doing) and spend your money once on a good system that will last.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
atfree said:
And I will admit, as a HTIB user, that I am much more interested in the visual aspects of my viewing than the audio. For example, when I travel I can tolerate a basic sound experience (i.e., just the TV) with an HD visual presentation, but a great sound experience with an SD visual would drive me crazy. I never listen to music so, for me, an HTIB is fine. But that's just me.

If you have experienced a great sound setup and are still happy with what you have, great (no disrespect - it is after all your happiness that is important). If you haven't explored a better setup you are short changing yourself.

I understand if you have budget and other constraints. But you should still get the best that you can get that still fits withing those constraints.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You also have to realize there are multitudes of hoops with HTiB.

1. They don't decode ANYTHING from incoming HDMI. Good luck finding a STB that decodes 5.1...sends it as PCM.

So, you can't use HDMI for satellite or cable. (Those have to connect via Toslink)

2. HTiB is all about cost. As low as possible. Even the most expensive HTiB costs less than even basic setup like a Denon E200, Yamaha 1800(speakers) and a BD player.

3. Probably not going to have DTS support, except for discs it plays.

4. You want wireless rear and 3 (or more) HDMI.

I already gave you the cheapest option.

An AVR with preouts(if you can live with used, buy a used AVR. If interested I'll supply some model numbers).
Some form of wireless audio sender(Onkyo sells one meant for home theatre, they cost around $130 a piece. You need at least 2).
Another amplifier

You do realize the rear side of this...

Still plugs into the wall...and you still run speaker wire.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
schan1269 said:
You also have to realize there are multitudes of hoops with HTiB.

1. They don't decode ANYTHING from incoming HDMI. Good luck finding a STB that decodes 5.1...sends it as PCM.

So, you can't use HDMI for satellite or cable. (Those have to connect via Toslink)

2. HTiB is all about cost. As low as possible. Even the most expensive HTiB costs less than even basic setup like a Denon E200, Yamaha 1800(speakers) and a BD player.

3. Probably not going to have DTS support, except for discs it plays.

4. You want wireless rear and 3 (or more) HDMI.

I already gave you the cheapest option.

An AVR with preouts(if you can live with used, buy a used AVR. If interested I'll supply some model numbers).
Some form of wireless audio sender(Onkyo sells one meant for home theatre, they cost around $130 a piece. You need at least 2).
Another amplifier

You do realize the rear side of this...

Still plugs into the wall...and you still run speaker wire.
1- Mine (the Panny) gives me a choice on how to decode incoming signals from other devices (sat box, etc) between bitstream and PCM so I get 5.1 via HDMI from my Directv box to the HTIB.

2- For me, DTS outside of BD's is a non-issue now as I don't watch/listen to anything other than tv/streaming/BD/DVD's. When I had a PS3 connected, it decoded DTS fine.

3- Wireless rears do have wires, but speakers sit on bookcases behind couch, wireless unit sits under couch and plugs into outlet next to couch.....no wires or plugs to be seen.

Simply stated, I'm a film buff not an audiophile.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
David Willow said:
If you have experienced a great sound setup and are still happy with what you have, great (no disrespect - it is after all your happiness that is important). If you haven't explored a better setup you are short changing yourself.

I understand if you have budget and other constraints. But you should still get the best that you can get that still fits withing those constraints.
Thanks, I am satisfied with my set-up, frankly better than 99% of most people I know (I think on a specialized forum like HTF, people assume the whole world is similar....it's not). It's not such a case of budget, it's more a case of priorities. I invest heavily in a few things: my film collection, cigars, liquor, and my yard (deck and landscaping). For TV/movies, I want a great visual (plasma) presentation and a "good" audio presentation (many of my catalog titles only have a mono soundtrack anyway). Other priorities like putting 4 kids through college and saving for my retirement come before a high-end (or even middle-end) sound system, especially since I never listen to music on my set-up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks