What's new

How To Beat The High Cost Of Living (1980) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Unknown.jpeg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
ORDERED!!!!

What great, unexpected news! I've always found this to be an underrated gem and the only available DVD is 4:3.

Thanks for the heads up! What a treat.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
MIght be mistaken, but isn't this one technically How To Beat the High Co$t of Living?

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I thought so too, Joe, but I pulled the trailer and they spell it the traditional way on there. Is it spelled with a dollar sign in the opening credits, maybe? It's sounds VERY familiar!

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Brad here. OK a MSMP (Male Sexist Misogynist Pig) observation but Jane Curtin doing a striptease!!!

Day One for me!

JaneCurtin.jpg

Actually I never heard of this film back in 1980 and hadn't till I read this. Read the Wiki article and it looks like a entertaining buy.

So Pre-Ordered!!

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex

1. Kyrsten Brad said:
    Brad here. OK a MSMP (Male Sexist Misogynist Pig) observation but Jane Curtin doing a striptease!!!

Day One for me!

attachicon.gif
    JaneCurtin.jpg

Actually I never heard of this film back in 1980 and hadn't till I read this. Read the Wiki article and it looks like a entertaining buy.

So Pre-Ordered!!
    Saw this in theaters and later on HBO....never considered Jane Curtin a sex symbol, but her scene towards the end of this film is....well....not bad.

Mark Pytel

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pytel
Another full frame dvd bites the dust. YES! Can't wait to replace that dvd with this lovely widescreen bluray! I'm loving these Olive announcements!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I saw when on cable in the 80s. Loved it. Jane Curtin was a dream with the strip tease at the time. I thought it was her. But older me doesn't think it was. I wish Jane would come back and do it for real dang it! Nice extra on the disc, that's all i'm sayin! :p

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Will Krupp said:
Jane Curtain's awkward striptease is a comedy high point but I don't think the breasts are hers!
Agreed. That they didn't show her face during the "big flash" is a dead giveaway.

==================================

Brad's Briefs:

Funny I never noticed this film come out in July of 1980 probably for two major reasons. One, I was stationed in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba which back in 1980 was pretty isolated from the states due to its unique location on Communist soil. Two, this movie was pretty much overshadowed by two very big releases during summer 1980, Caddyshack and of course Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back. So this viewing of the blu-ray was my first viewing of this film.

The Movie: I must say, not bad and quite entertaining. A little slow in spots but very entertaining overall. Susan St. James played her Jane role quite convincingly and even managed some rather unique humor which might raise an eyebrow or two today (in relation to her on-screen children). I always loved Jessica Lange during my late-teen, early 20s days and good to see her 4 years after her King Kong (1976 remake) and two years before her big role with Dustin Hoffman in Tootsie. And for those who remember Jane Curtin for her role in 3rd Rock from the Sun as Dr. Mary Albright, it was fun to see a young Jane Curtin (quite a looker if you ask me) in a non-SNL role.

Technical Aspects: Overall a very well done Blu by Olive films.

PQ: I'd give this a 4.5 out of 5. Nice looking on the 70" and on my laptop screen as well (duhh).

AQ: I'm easy to please on this but I remember it being quite excellent. Don't remember what my Denon was saying about the sound setup but being I'm not at home writing this, I'll need to update a little later.

In Summary: Recommended for a night where you'd like to see three ladies get even with "the system", a theme that would be re-visited in a much more well known film about six months later Nine To Five (1981).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks