What's new

Need to pair a receiver with Klipsch Reference R-28F Home Theater System (1 Viewer)

ashehzad2002

Agent
Real Name
Avey
Hello Audio Gurus,

I need help finding the right receiver to go with the system below. I love how they sound and look and want to make sure I get the best out of them with the right receiver. Most use is TV cable and movies and occasional Xbox gaming. Also like to stream using chrome-cast which I hope to plug into the receiver. the speakers and sub (400w) are big so want to ensure enough power is available. Also I like the wifi on receivers so I don't have them plugged in.

(2) R-28F Floorstanding Speaker
(1) R-12SW Subwoofer
(1) R-25C Center Speaker
(1) R-14S Surround Speakers

I know that someone has already asked this question but that was in 2002.

Please help a newbie out :)

thanks in advance!

ashehzad2002

Agent
Real Name
Avey
Also looking to buy a Epson 3020 to work with this setup :) With comcast going 4K in 2015 its a little upsetting but I dont htink I wanna spend 5K for a 4K projector right now.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Do you have a budget for the new receiver? Any brands you have used in the past and like (or maybe understand a bit better)?

We also need to know the size of the room to make any decent recommendations.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
And those are really efficient speakers, so unless this is some really big room with 20 people in it, you don't need much.

ashehzad2002

Agent
Real Name
Avey
I have to put this in the basement and the basement is huge. It will not have its dedicated room only the front and back wall. the basement is about 100X20 and I am taking 8X20 in the middle of the room so wont have side walls on either side. I have 9ft ceilings in the basement.

I don't care about the brand, I do know that I have heard some bad things from friends on Onkyo. Budget is I'd say $500. I just picked up the Pioneer VSX-44 from best buy for $299 which was on a 1 day sale...It goes back to $499 tomorrow. The only thing I don't like is that this is not wifi but I can hard wire it. link below. Initially I was leaning towards the Sony DN850. Or a Denon.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?st=vsx-44&_dyncharset=UTF-8&id=pcat17071&type=page&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&keys=keys

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Lots of people bought the Pioneer 1124 over the 44, and the 1124 is around $350.Onkyo, is now, fine. They've warranted 5 years worth of AVR as a recall. Anybody who still complains...is misinformed.But, buy the AVR you want, based on features you need. Wifi is prevalent now.

ashehzad2002

Agent
Real Name
Avey
This one is part of the magnolia collection at best buy also (but the cheapest elite there). but if we forget about the one that I picked up only because it was a great deal at $299, what receivers would you suggest for around 500-600 bucks?

I would say that we watch more TV and movies and play games than listen to music. To me it seems like WIFI should be on there even if I have the ability to hard wire it in today's day and age but its not a deal breaker. I would have to live with this system for some years so wanna pair up the best option with my speakers. Whats your opinions on Denons or Sony? How would they compare to the pioneer elite? Onyo TX NR636 is around the same price range

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Are you beholden to Best Buy?If you have an HH Gregg, they have Onkyo and Sony. If you can handle a refurb, Accessories4less.The Yamaha RX-A740 should be around there as well.The Chromecast will work best on a front HDMI. I use the extender so mine dangles from the front. If you want cleaner than that, some HDMI 2.0 AVR are able to supply power via the HDMI. Take the CC with you and stick it in the front HDMI of some AVR and see which ones work with the HDMI power.

ashehzad2002

Agent
Real Name
Avey
Sounds good I will do that. I am not tied to bestbuy at all. Infact prefer to avoid them if possible LOL I dont know how important but when comparing I'm looking at total power and per channel. How about Denon?

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The Denon X3000 is under $600 right now. No WiFi. It is last year's model.

Sony has never been known for their receivers. They would not be at the top of my list.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Ignore power ratings. Most AVR are based on two channels, whatever it comes up with on two, is published x5 or x7. Actual all channel rating on most entry level(to me, entry is anything MSRP

ashehzad2002

Agent
Real Name
Avey
Ok! so do you guys feel that I'm ok with the Pioneer VSX-44 (140x7 ch)? Although it has no wifi the rest seems to be pretty good. Or do I go for a Denon AV1100W or Onkyo TX-NR636? Ofcourse I got the Pioneer Elite for only $299 (which maybe why I dont think its good enough LOL) The others are 499 and 450.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
ashehzad2002 said:
Ok! so do you guys feel that I'm ok with the Pioneer VSX-44 (140x7 ch)? Although it has no wifi the rest seems to be pretty good. Or do I go for a Denon AV1100W or Onkyo TX-NR636? Ofcourse I got the Pioneer Elite for only $299 (which maybe why I dont think its good enough LOL) The others are 499 and 450.
I think you should exchange it for, at least, an 1124.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
To give you an idea of "how misleading" power ratings are. I have to give props to Pioneer on their new 8X avr. They now include a "power output: watts multi ch simultaneous drive"Granted...it is at 1khz at 1% distortion, but better than an "outright guess".What that means is, on the Elite 81 that says, on the box, 120x7...The 81 can provide a combined amount of power of 560...Which equates to 80 watts per channel. Which means at 20-20k, with .8% distortion...probably is closer to 480 total, or 68.(The 89, at $3000, says 140x9 on the box, provides a simultaneous of 850, which if you divide 850 by 7, not 9, you actually get 120wpc...)

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
ashehzad2002 said:
humm...lots to think about :( what have I gotten myself in to LOL
Isn't this fun? :D

The cool thing is if you do it right the first time you can sit back and enjoy your system for many years. You won't have to think about it again (at least until you get the overwhelming urge to upgrade :rolling-smiley: )

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Here is my criteria for picking an avr....1. Must have preouts. I currently use 2, of my 5, home theatres with some form of external amplification. 2. HDMI upconversion. I still have VHS and LD.3. Universal remote. (This here. In my opinion, is reason enough to spend another $100-$150 on the AVR, so you don't need a Harmony/URC. Even some $1200> AVR come, as as I'm concerned, with a piece of crap remote)4. Must have wide/height.Cool stuff....Front HDMI Binding posts for all speakers.Now, but not 7 years ago, an AVR with preouts is pretty much a given that it has the rest of my list. Therefore, if I were to buy a Denon, it would be the X4000.Onkyo, the 838.Elite, the 82(didn't look at the back of the 81)And so on.That is how you pick an AVR.

ashehzad2002

Agent
Real Name
Avey
thanks thats stuff I didnt consider. . So I tried out the Pioneer I bought yesterday and its good. Except....I hate the 80's looking interface...very dissapointing, its like you are working in a dos environment. Also I cant get over the no WIFI thing.

After reading reviews and all, I feel like the Onkyo TX-NR636 might be a good option. All reviews rave about the excellent video and sound and itsmmediate future ready too more than others. It seems for a beginner like me, it might be a good option? What you guys think?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
That or a Yamaha. At this price point, if the GUI is a consideration, I'd try a Yamaha.But...as far as simple/straightforward, Onkyo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks