– Mr. Smith Goes to Washington – 1939

– Dawn of the Planet of the Apes – 2014

–The Hundred-Foot Journey – 2014

– Witness to Murder – 1954

– As Above, So Below – 2014

– The Quartermass Experiment – 1955

The Prices
Posted Image
Click on the Amazon price to buy from Amazon and support HTF!

Any clickable link on a title listed below will take you to our own HTF review!

DVDs  Amazon BestBuy Target
As Above. So Below $17.99 $16.99
Broad City: Season 1 $22.94
Cantinflas $12.99
Charlie Brown Christmas: 50th Anniversary Deluxe Edition $13.99
Congress, The $9.99
Dark Place, The $14.99
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes $14.99 $14.99 $14.99
Emerald Forest, The $11.99
Gentleman Jim [Warner Archive]  $17.99
Guess Who's Coming to Christmas $11.99
Gunsmoke: Season 11 Vol. 1 $42.49
Gunsmoke: Season 11 Vol. 2 $34.99
Gutshot Straight $19.99
Happy Days: Season 6 $38.68
Hero of Color City, The $24.28
Hundred-Foot Journey, The $17.88 $17.99 $17.99
Into the Woods [Original Broadway Production] $11.24
Investigator, The $12.99
Jingle All the Way 2 $12.96 $14.99
Justified: Season 5 $29.96 $29.99 $24.99
Kids for Cash $26.96
Kite $12.96
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington $9.00
My Reputation [Warner Archive]  $12.59
Notebook, The $20.95
Objective, Burma! [Warner Archive]  $12.59
Package, The $11.99
Perry Mason: Movie Collection Double Feature 10 $14.44
Perry Mason: Movie Collection Double Feature 11 $14.44
Perry Mason: Movie Collection Double Feature 12 $15.29
Simpsons, The: Season 17 $34.99 $29.99 $27.99
Sliders $139.99
Speak No Evil $19.99
Star Trek - The Next Generation: Season 7 $36.89
Strain, The $29.96
Witness to Murder $14.99
You'll Never Get Rich $20.95

Posted Image
Click on the Amazon price to buy from Amazon and support HTF!

Any clickable link on a title listed below will take you to our own HTF review!

Blu-rays  Amazon BestBuy Target
As Above. So Below $22.99 $22.99
Congress, The $14.99
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes $17.99 $17.99 $19.99
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes [3-D] $19.99 $19.99 $24.99
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes [3-D] Caesar's Warrior Collection $116.84
Emerald Forest, The $16.99
Hero of Color City, The $26.98
Hickey & Boggs $16.99
Hundred-Foot Journey, The $22.87 $22.99 $22.99
Into the Woods [Original Broadway Production] $15.99
Jingle All the Way 2 $17.96 $14.99
Justified: Season 5 $34.96 $34.99 $29.99
Kite $17.96 $16.99
Looney Tunes: Back in Action $9.99
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington [75th Anniversary Blu-ray] $12.99
Offence, The $16.99
Package, The $16.99
Quatermass Xperiment, The $16.99
Simpsons, The: Season 17 $39.99 $36.99 $32.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation [All Good Things] $14.99 $14.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation: Season 7 $57.99 $57.99
Strain, The: Season 1 $34.96
Tales From The Crypt / Vault Of Horror $17.99
Witness to Murder $16.99

The Disclaimer

Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed Sunday advertisements. All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price.

I, obviously, cannot include EVERY title released in a given week in the RoundUp. The titles included are those that I am interested in...as well as those which I consider will be of interest to a majority of consumers (and sometimes I’ll miss one!). I don't get paid for this, and I don't have the time to list every DVD. So, please don't complain! If there is a title not included in the RoundUp that you want to see, PLEASE just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone!

Note that I cannot include Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices in the RoundUp. They set prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is no way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club location. And, Circuit City is still out of business...even in Hawaii (where they NEVER guaranteed their prices anyway).

The Specials

--Best Buy, this week, has EXCLUSIVE METALPACK PACKAGING with their 3-D Blu copies of Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

--The following recent releases are on sale this week at Best Buy:

$14.99: Sex Tape (Blu), Expendables 3 (DVD), Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (DVD), Tyler Perry's A Madea Christmas (DVD).

$16.99: Tammy (DVD), Jersey Boys (DVD).

$19.99: Expendables 3 (Blu), Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (3-D Blu), Tyler Perry's A Madea Christmas (Blu).

--Best Buy is advertising anumber of Blu-ray titles at $5.99 apiece. Titles shown in the flyer are: Grudge Match, Inception, and Full Metal Jacket.

--Best Buy Odds and Ends: A list of $3.99 DVDs.

--Target this week has an EXCLUSIVE DVD RELEASE of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Dimension X for $12.99.

--Target is also advertising a FREE $5 Target GiftCard when you pre-order the Blu-ray of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles with an EXCLUSIVE COLLECTIBLE COVER for $19.99. Quantities limited. No rainchecks. Terms and Conditions apply to giftcards. Also, if you pre-order the movie, you can get a sneak peek at bonus footage at target.com/TMNTmovie.

--Target is advertising a LIMITED EDITION version of Season 17 of The Simpsons. But they don't say what makes it "limited."

--Target has the following TV on DVD titles on sale:

$17.99: The White Queen: Season 1

$19.99: Penny Dreadful: Season 1, Psych: Season 8, White Collar: Season 5.

$24.99: Batman (1966): Season 1

$29.99: The Originals: Season 1, Game of Thrones: Season 3. 

--And Target has another one of its quirky promotions this week: get a FREE king-size candy bar with the purchase of select $5 or $10 DVDs (Movies and candy shown and select others. Candy located in candy aisle and front of the store. Free offer quantities limited; no rain checks):

Candy shown: Kit Kat, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.

$5 DVDs: Happy Feet, Fred Claus, Four Christmases, Elmo's World: Happy Holidays.

$010 DVDs: Nat'l Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, Elf, The Polar Express, Charlie Brown Christmas.

--Target Odds and Ends: None to report.

Last edited by a moderator:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I think the Limited Simpsons set is the version tht has the 3d outer sleeve.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Mike.

Just Mr. Smith Goes to Washington for me. I'll pick up Justified: Season 5 on Blu-Ray when the price drops down the road. That season just wasn't strong enough to merit an immediate purchase at that price.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Thanks for the RoundUp!

Looking forward to receiving Mr. Smith which has been pre-ordered for awhile now. Hoping we get Dawn of the Planet of the Apes to review, but we can't count on anything these days with Fox.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Thanks very much for the Roundup this week, which is going to be more expensive than usual for me. I am definitely in for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Justified season 5 and Into the Woods.

The first two seasons of Justified were $21.99 and $19.99, respectively, on their week of release, and season 2 even had a free T-shirt bonus at Best Buy with the show logo on it (which I still have and do wear ) Since then, Sony has been setting the SRP considerably higher, which results in less discounting even though the show is still producing the same number of episodes per season as always, which is a standard-for-cable 13. For this reason, I waited to acquire season 3 and 4 until after a price drop and just recently got season 4 due to Amazon matching a Best Buy Black Friday deal. The $34.99 price on season 5 is really steep and I'm not happy about it, so under normal circumstances I would wait it out, too. However, I was at school until graduating in May and their dorm TV service does not include FX and I was unable to watch live last year. So I actually need to pick up season 5 now in order to catch back up to current, so I can watch season 6 in January, which I can't believe is the final run. I am very much looking forward to getting caught up, although the price could be nicer, but I'll pay it this time so I can see the episodes before the new season begins.

Seeing and loving the original production DVD of Into the Woods is the reason that I declared a theatre major, so I'm excited to get that on Blu-ray, though nothing can really replace my DVD, which is personally autographed to me by both Bernadette Peters and Chuck Wagner, so I'll be keeping both (usually, I'll upgrade and part with the DVD, but not in this case. After Justified and Apes, though, this one may wait, though, because I'm not sure how much difference Blu-ray will really make when the source recording was shot on tape in 1991 for PBS without thought to how it might look all these years later in HD.

And Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was just terrific. Can't wait to watch that again. I'm good with the 2D edition.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've got three titles on their way to me this week--all from Amazon:

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (blind buy but I've heard many good things about it)

Into the Woods (I re-considered this pre-order based on the lackluster reviews and the doubt of a precipitous upgrade. But decided to swallow hard and do it anyway.)
TonyD said:
I think the Limited Simpsons set is the version tht has the 3d outer sleeve.
While I would figure that to be the case, too...the illustration in the Target flyer looked just like any other cover illustration shown by any other retailer.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Bad week for me wallet-wise

Mr Smith Goes To Washington
Into The Woods
Looney Tunes: Back In Action
Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes/

Also picked up
Lady For A Day

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I would also like to add that THE NOTEBOOK comes out this week. Not the Nicholas Sparks one, but the Hungarian World War II drama which was submitted for Best Foreign Film consideration last year and released here via Sony Pictures Classics. Trailer for those interested: .

Unfortunately, it did very poorly in theaters here and its only physical release is a MOD DVD on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Notebook-Grand-Cahier-Ulrich-Matthes/dp/B00PMM6QQS/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1417380182&sr=1-2&keywords=the+notebook.

However, it is REALLY GOOD and totally worth going out of your way to find. The cinematography is beautiful -- I wish it were getting a Blu-ray edition -- and the young actors at the film's center are remarkable. I definitely want to get it, too, even if it is only a DVD.

If you don't want to spend $20.95 to buy it blind, consider a digital rental, which apparently will be offered in HD. It's a really great film.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (blind buy but I've heard many good things about it)
Did you like Rise? Did you like the older Apes movies? Then you'll be sastified with Dawn. I'm a huge Apes fan and I really liked it. I'll pick it up here pretty quick.

Dave Corder

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks as always for the round-up.

I've had Mr. Smith, TNG S7, and All Good Things on pre-order from Amazon since forever. Thank goodness for the pre-order price guarantee!

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It took Best Buy all of 3 hours to sell off all their copies of the two Star Trek titles. Off to Amazon...

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I wanted to use put my RewardZone certificate toward Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, but my local Best Buy didn't stock it. So I ended up buying it for $12.99 at Target.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Wayne_j said:
It took Best Buy all of 3 hours to sell off all their copies of the two Star Trek titles. Off to Amazon...
I wonder how many they stocked...

I gave up on BB a while ago for new releases. I just preorder from Amazon and go from there. If Amazon isn't price matching, I'll order at BB.com for in store pick up and go from there.

From this week's releases, TNG S7, All Good Things and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. Also ordered the Bourne set on Sunday night.

Since the Sunday before Thanksgiving...Veep S2, Boardwalk Empire S2-4, The Sopranos S1 and 6.5, Gravity, Godzilla, Neighbors, Orange is the New Black S1, Transformers: Age of Extinction, Blazing Saddles, Lego Movie, Divergent, Planes 2, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2, Despicable Me, The Tigger Movie, Make the Yuletide Gay, Adventures of Batman, New Adventures of Superman S2/3, Transformers S3/4, Arrow S2, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, All About Eve, Fantastic Voyage, Grapes of Wrath.

My name is Jason and I have a massive problem... :D

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
140115_MEDEX_AA.jpg.CROP.original-original.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks