What's new

The Stand Directed by Josh Boone - Now 4 Movies (1 Viewer)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
[color=rgb(20,20,20);background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]Director Josh Boone announces on Kevin Smith's Hollywood Babble On - The Stand now to be four movies.[/color]

Yes this can be considered primarily a fiscally driven decision but as a big Stephen King I'm all for it. There are a lot of characters here and they all need time to breathe.
[color=rgb(20,20,20);background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]Interview here - [/color]SModcast | Hollywood Babble-On Bonus: Babble on Hollywood: Josh Boone: The Fault In Our Stand [color=rgb(20,20,20);background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]- starts at the One hour and 20 minute mark specifically about The Stand. The whole interview is worth listening to.[/color]

Note - foul language abounds so definitely not work friendly or for those turned off by such language.

[color=rgb(20,20,20);background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]First reaction on hearing the news - Uh, wow![/color]

[color=rgb(20,20,20);background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]Second reaction - HELLS YEAH!!!!!!!!!![/color]

[color=rgb(20,20,20);background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]Third reaction - after listening to that Kevin Smith interview -[/color]

[color=rgb(20,20,20);background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]OMFG![/color]

[color=rgb(20,20,20);background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]Boone so gets not just The Stand but every Stephen King story!!![/color]

[color=rgb(20,20,20);background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]Boone also takes special care to note that The Stand is not a story that can be translated into a bunch of strung together set pieces. Love that he told Warners he refused to do an adaptation that WorldWarZ'ed the book. To him The Stand is a story about characters and the audience getting into the heads of those characters.[/color]

[color=rgb(20,20,20);background-color:rgb(250,250,250);]Can't wait![/color]

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
As a fan of the book, I'm glad to see that they're making a real effort to adapt it correctly (if this even happens) but as someone who doesn't want to pay four times to see one movie, I'm less glad.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
That's.....a LOT of push behind a movie that's already been done for TV, especially when there's been only one Stephen King book movie/TV adaptation in the last ten years. :unsure:
(Okay, leaving aside the Dome, what was the last King novel you've heard of?)

Either the conversation is a little more, er, unrestricted on Kevin Smith's show, or collapse warning for the project imminent.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Adapted correctly, this would fair better on HBO then in the movies.

4 character set piece, big budget films? I don't see it happening. Not in this decade.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I think the existing mini series already did a good enough job.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'm also skeptical that this will fly. Two feature films, perhaps a trilogy, or a 4-part HBO series would seem much more logical IMO. As eager as I am to see The Stand get a proper adaptation, this plan looks dubious as hell.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
dpippel said:
I'm also skeptical that this will fly. Two feature films, perhaps a trilogy, or a 4-part HBO series would seem much more logical IMO. As eager as I am to see The Stand get a proper adaptation, this plan looks dubious as hell.
And I'm guessing HBO turns it down, and the idea of a "Netflix Original Miniseries" starts being promoted.

(And, er, wow. A Stand miniseries, that's totally rethinking the earlier version. But then, I haven't seen the TV version of The Shining, so can't comment on that.)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
And if Netflix does it, it will end up cheap so you might as well just watch the orginal TV version again. :S

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Boone says some big name stars have already been signed up. Rumours circulating are Matthew McConaughey will be playing Flagg.

The Stand as three movies works for me as well. Four would rock.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I can't see four feature-length films coming from The Stand. Even the walking dude has his limits.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Steve Tannehill said:
I can't see four feature-length films coming from The Stand. Even the walking dude has his limits.

Episode 1: Everybody's Dead --
Coming soon for 2016, Episode 2: Weird Dreams about a Really Old Black Lady

(This was what it was like before the Harry Potter movies discovered the creative improvements of Condensation.
Let's just give Hobbit backlash a year or two to stink up the image of "Serial trilogies". About two months after "Battle", I'm predicting.)

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Steve Tannehill said:
I see four easily.

1 - Captain Trips
2 - On The Border
3 - Mother Abigail Vs The Walking Dude
4 - The Stand

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
If any book deserves multiple films to do justice to the story it's The Stand. I'm excited at this news.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Four movies for that terrible book?! Hollywood film makers have lost their f'ing minds.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
So I'll put Edwin down as a 'No Thank You.'

For those of us that like or treasure the book, any further thoughts?

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
doug zdanivsky said:
The Dark Tower would have made a better movie series (if done right)..

The Stand movie they made with Garry Sinese wasn't too bad..
Agree on both counts Doug. I'm positive The Dark Tower will see the light of day in some form of screen adaptation. I loved the idea of doing 3 movies with TV seasons in between to fill out the character beats in between. The sticker with that series is how to film all the material in a time period that can accommodate keeping the age of Jake to around 10 - 12. It's vital to the story that Jake is not aged up at all.

The 1994 mini-series of The Stand is not too bad but it hasn't aged well and its cheapness becomes more apparent with each passing year. Plus casting was a mixed bag - Gary Sinise as Stu Redman was a great choice. As was Bill Fagerbakke as Tom Cullen. I even liked Rob Lowe as Nick Andros. Matt Frewer was excellent as The Trashcan Man - Cibola! Cibola! My life for you! Miguel Ferrer, Ossie Davis, and Ruby Dee were solid too. Biggest miscasting was the actor who played Harold Lauder. A pivotal role that needed an actor capable of capturing the internal struggle of that character. I was also less impressed with Molly Ringwald and Laura San Giacomo.

But it's been more than 20 years and with the technology available today and a world that laps up a show like The Walking Dead, the environment for a updated version of The Stand is ripe.

Have to be honest though, if I had my druthers a Dark Tower movies series would be my preference. But hey this Stand remake may pave the way for a Dark Tower movie series!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks