What's new

Picked up like new Yamaha rx-v2500 without remote (1 Viewer)

bobinaz

Auditioning
Real Name
BoB
Hi all, my first time posting here. I just bought a like new Yamaha rx-v2500, however with no remote and no wpao mic. It is replacing a Yamaha htr 5790. I have remote for that. I also have a remote for a 1987 Yamaha R9 stereo rcvr. Because it is smaller, I have been using the R9 remote for power on/off and switching between sources as well as volume adjustment. Once I got the 5790 set up with the original remote, I just use the R9 remote for the basic functions. The R9 remote works the same for the v2500.
The remote for the htr 5790 works on some functions of the v2500, but not the speaker adjustment or any adjustment where I have to increase or decrease a value. All the speaker sizes are set to small and I cannot perform any changes.
I tried a standard video cable (not s-vhs) from monitor out of v2500 to a video in of my Panny plasma. I got a wallpaper and sometimes block letters telling me things (input modes, other setup data) at the bottom of screen. Not at all the slick looking GUI as seen in the manual.
Do I need a s-vhs cable to see the slick GUI on the TV?

SO.... Is there a way to set up the v2500 without the remote?? I could not find a way to get the v2500 display to go into any setup menus.

Is there anyway to use the RS-232 input to help with any setup?

I know this is an older unit but I don't need hdmi switching. This v2500 is well made and I want to use it for my home theater.
Thanks for any help

bobinaz

Auditioning
Real Name
BoB
Well I went and ordered a Yamaha replacement remote. I'm sure I will be happy wit it.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Wow, that's some delayed follow-up - good for you!

I didn't see your post back in November, but I do think you need a remote to perform setup, and the only other options I can think of would be to get a universal remote (the Logitech Harmony line is the #1 choice there), or to get one used (maybe through freecycle.org, from someone whose receiver broke).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks