What's new

7.1 Surround. front height with back surround option? (1 Viewer)

azizk5

Auditioning
Real Name
aziz
Hello,So i have an Onkyo HT-S9400, which is a 7.1 surround sound.My room (dedicated cinema room) is about 7 * 4 meters. the height of the room is about 4.5 meters.My current set up is PLIIZ with front height. I am considering getting two extra speakers for rear surround; because my front heights are mounted and it is hard to remove them. What i am asking is, should i get the two extra speakers so i can have the option of normal 7.1 vs front height? (see Picture). As i said, my amp supports 7.1 and not 9.1, so i cant do both at the same time.Note 1: the surround Right and left aren't placed in an ideal place for standards, but it was the only place in which i could mount them for everyone to be able to get surround. Also, they are angled to the center of the room and mounted on the two back edges of the room (See picture)Note 2: the front heights are angled downwards and to the center of the room. They are also more about 5 feet higher than the right and left speakers.Note 3: this is a dedicated Cinema for watching movies.What i am considering is:Option 1): leaving everything as it isOption 2): Getting two bipolar speakers (Fluance AVBP2) and mount them on rear ( see picture), so i can have the option of changing to rear 7.1 as opposed to PLIIZ, when i have a 7.1 movie or action movie.Option 3): Getting normal satellite speakers and mount on rear of the room.Option 4): Suggestions?Thanks, your opinions would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• Cinema room map.png
    Cinema room map.png
    8.9 KB · Views: 113

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Your seating is too far back. The back couch should be where your note box is.Your sweet spot should be center of the room. All speakers placed aligned with that spot.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Converting to feet...13x23.Your main seat should be 3.5 to 4 meters (11 to 13 feet) from the screen.Place the seating correctly, no speaker placement issues.And where you current placement is for your 4/5 should be moved along the wall equal to where the 2nd row ends up. The 6/7 is correct, once the couch is off the wall.In numbers...Using the center speaker as 0.4/5 should be 110-125 degrees. Note "where you wanted them" is 90. Their current position is more like 140-150(based on seating too far back as well).6/7 should be 150-160(with center back 180).

azizk5

Auditioning
Real Name
aziz
Thanks for your reply,
The problem in moving my back couches is that really cant. The floor is elevated as it would be in a theater. Having said that. Do you think i should just leave my configuration as is (PLIIZ Front height)? or add two back surround speakers (6/7) as to have the option of changing from front height into discrete 7.1 for 7.1 movies? I know my 4/5 isnt in the best place, but to accommodate everyone, that is where i found to be the best option. Unless you have some other suggestions.

Thanks

vidiot33

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
I would disagree with the suggestion that the sweet spot resides in the center of the room. Acousticians will testify that multiples of thirds and fifths of the room's length are optimal. The Cardas " Golden Ratio" had my listening positioning far too behind center to properly accommodate surround speakers, so in my case, I'm about a fifth of the room's dimensions behind center, the best compromise I could effect given the dimensions of my room and the need to place surround and rear speakers. Do some research on this and I think you'll agree.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Cardas Golden Ratio applies to 2.0. Not 5/7/9/11.1.The ITU standard says the listener need be equal distance from all 2/3/5/7/9/11/13/15/22/50/10,000 speakers.

azizk5

Auditioning
Real Name
aziz
vidiot33 said:
I would disagree with the suggestion that the sweet spot resides in the center of the room. Acousticians will testify that multiples of thirds and fifths of the room's length are optimal. The Cardas " Golden Ratio" had my listening positioning far too behind center to properly accommodate surround speakers, so in my case, I'm about a fifth of the room's dimensions behind center, the best compromise I could effect given the dimensions of my room and the need to place surround and rear speakers. Do some research on this and I think you'll agree.
schan1269 said:
Cardas Golden Ratio applies to 2.0. Not 5/7/9/11.1.The ITU standard says the listener need be equal distance from all 2/3/5/7/9/11/13/15/22/50/10,000 speakers.
Having said that, what do you guys think is the optimal configuration of my speakers? I want everyone to experience surround. Should i keep the configuration as is? 4/5 on the edges with 6/7 as PLIIz height? Or should i get extra speakers for when i play 7.1 movies?Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated!

azizk5

Auditioning
Real Name
aziz
I think theyre out. Where do you think i should put the speakers that i get? What would you change or keep with the configuration? I have 7 speakers that are working excellently.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
They are still pre-package speakers.Woot does have some.Why Mirage?More efficient than what you have now.Room filling sound...design byproduct. Meaning they can be placed more correct...and they'll cover up issues.

azizk5

Auditioning
Real Name
aziz
schan1269 said:
They are still pre-package speakers.Woot does have some.Why Mirage?More efficient than what you have now.Room filling sound...design byproduct. Meaning they can be placed more correct...and they'll cover up issues.
The mirage speakers are pretty much out of my budget. Do you recommend that i keep the configuration of speakers as is? Or should i get bipolars instead of the 4/5 in the same place?Your opinions are appreciated

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The issue moving 1 pair of speakers off the pre-package...Granted the 9400 speakers aren't as bad as pre-package gets...but, their efficiency is lacking. The AVPB2(???) from Fluance is rated 88db. If the speakers you have now are 82db...I'd be shocked.What does that matter?88db speaker sitting on top of people. 82db speaker 23 feet away.What the Fluance are doing with 1 watt...the mains need...64 watts. (If your main 3 up front are also 88...the fronts then only need 16 a piece)

azizk5

Auditioning
Real Name
aziz
schan1269 said:
The issue moving 1 pair of speakers off the pre-package...Granted the 9400 speakers aren't as bad as pre-package gets...but, their efficiency is lacking. The AVPB2(???) from Fluance is rated 88db. If the speakers you have now are 82db...I'd be shocked.What does that matter?88db speaker sitting on top of people. 82db speaker 23 feet away.What the Fluance are doing with 1 watt...the mains need...64 watts. (If your main 3 up front are also 88...the fronts then only need 16 a piece)
So you think the fluance is not enough? Ididnt really understand what you were trying to convey with the decibels

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Db rating.Every speaker has one.3db requires double the power. Every meter(beyond the first) drops spl by 3.So...buying the more efficient Fluance and pairing them with what you have...Means your front speakers need 7 times double the power to keep up. I doubt the AVR has that much attenuation.

azizk5

Auditioning
Real Name
aziz
schan1269 said:
Db rating.Every speaker has one.3db requires double the power. Every meter(beyond the first) drops spl by 3.So...buying the more efficient Fluance and pairing them with what you have...Means your front speakers need 7 times double the power to keep up. I doubt the AVR has that much attenuation.
I doubt that as well. That is why id like to put the fluance in the edges of the room. So the people sitting in the center can experience the surround as though the speakers were a little closer. Do you think that is practical?

azizk5

Auditioning
Real Name
aziz
schan1269 said:
Bi/di-pole need a specific placement. Essentially, if you crammed your seating to the back wall...you have no room for 6/7.
Ok. So if i have my speakers placement as is and add 6/7 to the back i know the people sitting at the back will be affected, but it would be optimal for the people sitting in the front. Also, if i add the bipole instead of the normal surround, the people sitting at the front would hear it better is what i think. What do you think?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm not a fan of "sideways" bi-pole. But, I listen to SACD, DVD-A and BD Audio. Nobody uses sideways bi/di-pole for that.The only di-pole I like are Magnepan and Martin-Logan. Accordingly, the only bi-pole I like are BIC TPR, DCM TF-TP.Then there is omni-pole, such as Mirage and Ohm Walsh.I'd stick with direct rears...

azizk5

Auditioning
Real Name
aziz
schan1269 said:
I'm not a fan of "sideways" bi-pole. But, I listen to SACD, DVD-A and BD Audio. Nobody uses sideways bi/di-pole for that.The only di-pole I like are Magnepan and Martin-Logan. Accordingly, the only bi-pole I like are BIC TPR, DCM TF-TP and Mirage.
With what i currently have, do you think my setup is good for the listeners in the middle? Having said that, what is the best configurations you can think of with my current speakers?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks