What's new

Help - Samsung blu ray - sound but no picture?!?! (1 Viewer)

Dave>h

Second Unit
Hi,

I have a Samsung Blu ray player that stopped playing the picture recently. I checked the hdmi cable by hooking up another source and it reproduced picture and sound no problem so it is not the cable. It isn't the TV - which is also a Samsung LED.

Is there a setting or situation where a blu ray would play the sound and not the picture? My house is filled with button pushing females (God love them!!) that could have inadvertently pushed a button on the remote or something. Could that be it?

I have not tried using component or s video or some other source for output out of the player - I guess that would tell me if the video card was shot or not.

It is n't a big deal - blu ray players are pretty inexpensive - but it seems odd that one day it worked and the next day there is no picture. The sound works but there is no picture on the screen and the TV detects the hdmi source, it just shows a black screen.

Thoughts or comments appreciated!

K

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Maybe your player is set to display video that your TV can't handle. If you can access the player menu screens somehow, check to see if it is set to PAL instead of NTSC.

Also, try playing a DVD instead of a blu-ray.

Dave>h

Second Unit
OK, both good suggestions, thanks very much! I tried a DVD vs Bluy ray and had the same result - sound no picture. But I am intrigued about the video signal. I do not recall an NTSC vs PAL setting anywhere but leave it to my 2 year old to find it if it exists!!

Dave>h

Second Unit
The saga continues...

I hooked up the blu ray player to a different tv using a composite cable (the cheap yellow kind) and got a picture. I alos hooked up the HDMI and the tv flashed that the signal via hdmi was not recognized. Ok, getting somewhere!

I performed a reset of the blu ray player and viola, it is working again! Good news.

Hook it back up to the samsung tv and it works. Turn it on the next day, the bd anynet sign come up and then again a blank black screen through the hdmi connection... DRAT!! I don't think i changed any other settings back after the reset but maybe something. Anyway, back to the drawing board. Starting with turning off the bd anynet thing....

K

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
OK - seems like you have a workaround:

"Hook it back up to the samsung tv and it works. Turn it on the next day, the bd anynet sign come up and then again a blank black screen through the hdmi connection..."

-- From your description, you are hooking the player directly up to the TV via 1 HDMI cable - so there is no receiver or anything else in the line that could be the culprit.

- Some other things you might want to try...

-- Change the hdmi port on the TV that you are using - if there is a port with a return channel, it may be some kind of hand shaking issue between the two. -- switching to a different port will tell you if this is the case.

-- If that doesn't work - how much time does it take for a reset to occur? After your reset, it worked, then the next day it did not. If it is a 1 min thing, that might be your workaround. If it just takes too long - switching to another input doesn't work - it may be time for another player...

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
With all of the connecting and disconnecting you've been doing (particularly with HDMI) you should make sure you're not running into handshake issues.

You should turn off everything, and completely disconnect everything from each other. Unplug the TV and the Blu-ray player from the wall even.

Wait 15 minutes at least.

Plug everything back into the wall.

Make the HDMI connections.

Here's the important part:
Turn on the TV first. Make sure it is completely "on" and then turn on the Blu-ray player.

See if this helps any.

You can prevent future handshake issues by making sure that the display is completely powered on before you turn on any sources.

Any time you have HDMI devices and start swapping cables and inputs, you need to make sure to reset the handshake. You also shouldn't do any of that cable swapping while any of the devices are on.

HDMI can be a real pain in the neck in this regard if you're not aware of how all the copy protection voodoo works.

Hope this helps.

Dave>h

Second Unit
Thanks!! All great information. I have it back working now (not that I did anything, it just sort of sorted itself out...). Whatever, as long as it works. Now my kids can watch Netflix upstairs and not wear out my lamp on the benq projector downstairs! It must be an HDMI handshake thing somewhere....

Again, thanks all for the input. Fingers crossed it stays working!~

kathy13xia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kathy Xia
Is your Blu-ray disc the same region as your Blu-ray player? If not, the Blu-ray player may refuse to play the blu-ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks