What's new

International Cabinet of Dr Caligari (Masters of Cinema) (1 Viewer)

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
SPECTACULAR PRINT! I never would have imagined it could look this good. The music is perfectly idiomatic with a taste of Weimar... Berg and Webern-esque. This is one of the most eye opening silent films I own on blu-ray. It sure is a good time to be a fan of silent cinema.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
The blu ray released in 2014 was amazing. I recently saw a DCP and that picture looked really good on a large screen - amazing for a film made in 1920, reconstructed from multiple sources - I think the 4K will replicate that. I was impressed by Eureka'a supplements and picture quality on The Police Story Trilogy 4K UHD set.

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Be advised, in case it matters to you, that the upcoming UHD won't be from any new restoration. From the product page on their website:

SPECIAL FEATURES​

• Limited Edition Box Set - 3000 Copies
  • Limited Edition hardcase featuring artwork by Kevin Tong (Tragic Sunshine)
  • 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentation from the extensive restoration completed by FWMS in 2014
  • Limited Edition 100-PAGE BOOK featuring archival writing and articles including vintage writing on the film by Lotte H. Eisner; an original Variety review of the film; rare imagery; and more
  • Score by Cornelius Schwer (2014) – LPCM stereo and 5.1 surround options
  • Score by Uwe Dierksen & Hermann Kretzschmar (2019) – LPCM stereo
  • Original German intertitles with optional English subtitles
  • Brand new audio commentary by Kevin Lyons and Jonathan Rigby
  • Audio commentary by film historian David Kalat
  • The Asylum in Film – brand new interview with author / critic Kim Newman
  • You Must Become Caligari – video essay by film critic David Cairns
  • Caligari: The Birth of Horror in the First World War – 52 minute documentary on the cultural and historical impact of the film
  • On The Restoration – three short video pieces on the film's restoration
  • Trailer
  • The upcoming UHD will be from the same master as their Blu-ray. From the product page on their website:

There doesn't seem to be any extras missing from the Blu-ray, except for the documentary From Caligari to Hitler: German Cinema in the Age of the Masses, which was an exclusive second BD in their SteelBook edition (which I have).

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Eureka is releasing a 4K (region-free) set Dec. 5. The best price I’ve found is on Eureka’s own website. With free shipping to the U.S., the price is 33.70 USD.

Thanks, I just caught wind of it on the Digital Bits...nice!! But it is the same 4K strike from 2014, when it was released here in the states. Other than packaging and a booklet, what is the motovation? I have the gorgous BD edition, is the silent 4K more enhanced or...?
With new films I can understand, but with older silent films, much like the early 20s 30s films, doon't really benefit from the upgraded efforts as much as more modern films do. I have read many a comment on this issue. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 71mjPfpTQeL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71mjPfpTQeL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 14

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks