What's new

The Swankinson Theater (1 Viewer)

GarryS

Auditioning
So my GF and I decided to do some renos in our bungalow and as part of our renovation decided to build a dedicated theatre room in the basement, amongst other things.

I knew the build would be a challenge because of the layout of the basement. Because of where the furnace and the support beam was located, I was looking at Long and Narrow.. Here's a before picture of some of the space to show the challenge:
Before.JPG

The equipment we decided on:
Audio:
Onkyo TR-NX616 receiver
4 - Monitor Audio CT 265 FX surrounds
1 - Monitor Audio IWS-10 Subwoofer
3 - Monitor Audio WT 280 IDC - behind screen
Video:
JVC DLA-RS4910U
Da-Lite 94325V (110" diagonal)
Power system:
Panamax MX5102
Lighting:
Lutron RR-FDN-INC-XX
Control system:
RTI ADR RTIPANEL PREMIUM
RTI XP-6
RTI ZM-24
Since we were gutting the basement, we decided to lengthen the room by 9 feet, giving the final measurements: 11.5' wide x 19' long x 8' high.
So, the walls came down for the build:
IMG_0208.jpg

Then the installation of the speaker brackets was done, and the drywall, mudding and taping is complete:
IMG_0226.JPG

We have two recliners we're putting in the back of the room, and two sets of these chairs for the rest of the seats:
IMG_0156.jpg

The room is soundproofed as best as we can, and the equipment will be put in a rack outside in the furnace room.
I'll post more pics as we come close to completion.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Love when a threatre room is done properly with an AT screen.If not too late, you could move the center speaker to the left by boxing the wall stud. There are numerous YouTube videos showing that. If using a builder, they should have recommended it.

GarryS

Auditioning
It is too late, unfortunately. We can accommodate the centre channel being offset because the speaker has the ability to pivot the tweeter and mid range to adjust the sound field somewhat.Before we drywalled all the cabling is in place. From the equipment rack position we ran 1.5" conduit to the projector position.Next up this weekend figuring out seating placement, and painting

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Nice looking but the hole for the centre channel is out of position. The height is okay for the screen once you fit in place.

GarryS

Auditioning
The hole is off centre, but because of the speaker we can have it that far out of place

andySu

Senior HTF Member
I've never seen one in all my years that is that far off-centre. Well if it works for it you, good luck.

GarryS

Auditioning
I am. The room is long and narrow, so I don't have much space. All the equipment is outside the room in an equipment rack, well ventilated.

GarryS

Auditioning
So things are progressing at a good pace. This week, the equipment rack was put in as well as carpet.
Equipment Rack.jpg

Theatre Carpeting.jpg

Yes, we know that the Centre channel is off centre. The reason is because the seating is off centre in the room because of the shape. The speaker is aligned with the main seating, which is off centre in the room.
Back Wall.JPG

We were constrained by the size of the area and the support beam, so that's why it's off.

Because the paint in the room was damaged by the carpet layers, there's touch ups to do. So, we are holding off on installing the screen and projector. It is SO hard walking by this every day
Projector Box.jpg

so, the project should be complete by this time next week.

GarryS

Auditioning
So, We finished the project last week. it went fairly quickly..
The Projector was installed
Projector Install.jpg

Then the screen was mounted
Screen Install.jpg

The seats were put in place.
Seat Install.JPG

All that was left was programming the lights, and checking the picture from the recliners
Final Picture.jpg

It looks and sounds great!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks