Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Dear Warner Bros....Are You Punishing Us By Withholding Tom and Jerry Volume 2?

Warner

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 of 34 OFFLINE   nigel19

nigel19

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted August 28 2014 - 01:22 PM

The old T&J Spotlight Collections were more marketed towards kids, or at least younger audiences if some of the special features are an indication (MadTV commentaries, anyone?), which is probably why there wasn't much of a fuss of the same 2 cartoons being omitted on those DVDs.

These Golden Collections of T&J were suppose to be the ones for the adults/collectors and there were early indications that it would be blu-ray only to help gatekeep the "electronic babysitter" consumers.  Of course they caved early on to the latter aspect and caved further on the former in a futile effort to forgo the original intent of providing a complete chronological set for some vaguely political marketing reason, thus ensuring a FUBAR'd product line.

I wouldn't say the Spotlight dvd's were aimed at kids at all . They were aimed at adult collectors and the cases for Volume 2 and 3 even say they are for adult collectors and may not be suitable for children on the back .

Fortunately both of the missing toons are available uncut on the UK dvd's although there is one toon missing there too. Can't recall which one offhand but it seems to be an admin error rather than any problem with the content .

• JoHud likes this

#22 of 34 OFFLINE   ThadK

ThadK

Stunt Coordinator

• 176 posts

Posted August 28 2014 - 04:41 PM

The first Spotlight Collection was definitely a victim of legal meddling. It was originally supposed to be what the Golden Collection basically is: all of the 1940s cartoons in chronological order. Very late in the game the plug was pulled.

"It's the end of the age of innocence starting now."

#23 of 34 OFFLINE   nigel19

nigel19

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted August 29 2014 - 12:45 PM

The first Spotlight Collection was definitely a victim of legal meddling. It was originally supposed to be what the Golden Collection basically is: all of the 1940s cartoons in chronological order. Very late in the game the plug was pulled.

Although Collection 1 seemed to be a "Best of" they did start from the beginning on Collection 2 . + point for the US sets is that the Cinemascope toons were in the right ratio . The UK versions were 4:3.

Seems weird in this day and age that a company like Warner who release so many great home video releases would pander to the morons of political correctness.

Its the sort of rubbish you expect from Disney but even they released some un PC content in the Disney Treasures collections although It was unfortunate they felt we needed Leonard Maltin to tell us how bad they were .

• Ron1973 likes this

#24 of 34 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,308 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted August 29 2014 - 02:08 PM

Although Collection 1 seemed to be a "Best of" they did start from the beginning on Collection 2 . + point for the US sets is that the Cinemascope toons were in the right ratio . The UK versions were 4:3.

Seems weird in this day and age that a company like Warner who release so many great home video releases would pander to the morons of political correctness.

Its the sort of rubbish you expect from Disney but even they released some un PC content in the Disney Treasures collections although It was unfortunate they felt we needed Leonard Maltin to tell us how bad they were .

Why were warnings insufficient here if they were sufficient for the Looney Tunes Golden Collection?

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#25 of 34 OFFLINE   bigshot

bigshot

Screenwriter

• 1,260 posts

Posted August 29 2014 - 04:03 PM

The warnings were written specifically to placate the one particular exec in the legal department who was digging in her heels. The person who wrote it doesn't believe it himself, and neither did Whoopie Goldberg who read them. In fact, Whoopie did it for free in return for a limited edition cel... the Clampett edition of Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs.

• mrz7 and Retro00064 like this

#26 of 34 OFFLINE   nigel19

nigel19

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted August 30 2014 - 01:40 PM

The funniest bit of the warning is the  "It was wrong then and it's wrong now" . It clearly wasn't wrong then . In any event I really don't see why they worry about these blackface jokes .  

Maybe edit them from Cartoon Network broadcasts when kids are watching who won't know the reference but surely those who buy the discs are not too stupid to be able to watch this material in the context of when it was made.

The UK dvd contains the "white mammy" version of Saturday Evening Puss yet it contains the original unedited version of Mouse Cleaning. I can't even recall what's supposed to be wrong with Casanova Cat but that's on the UK disc too.

#27 of 34 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,197 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted August 30 2014 - 05:33 PM

Everything is too PC these days. Of course, Disney won't release Song of the South as we all know. In college last year, I had to sit through a video of how sexist/evil/racist Disney was with all their movies. Even The Beverly Hillbillies had a disclaimer before the Winston cigarette ads as to how they didn't recommend smoking as it may be hazardous to your health.

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#28 of 34 OFFLINE   nigel19

nigel19

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted August 31 2014 - 12:44 PM

Everything is too PC these days. Of course, Disney won't release Song of the South as we all know. In college last year, I had to sit through a video of how sexist/evil/racist Disney was with all their movies. Even The Beverly Hillbillies had a disclaimer before the Winston cigarette ads as to how they didn't recommend smoking as it may be hazardous to your health.

Did nobody stand up and defend Disney ? It was a different time and attitudes were different just as they will be different to today in 20 years.

Maybe your college can do a follow up video on  the dangers of viewing unedited Looney Tunes ?

#29 of 34 OFFLINE   Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo

Supporting Actor

• 642 posts

Posted September 01 2014 - 04:59 AM

Maybe historians with some common sense can do a video on how politically correct attacks on pop culture of the past damage students' ability to understand and process history.

Of course, those historians better have tenure already 'cause they'll sure be denied it after making their case.

#30 of 34 OFFLINE   los.sa

los.sa

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted September 01 2014 - 04:21 PM

They are because they are clueless people who think having a degree makes you a business man or woman. They are arrogant, clueless, passionless, unknowledgeable and uneducated people who should not even having jobs as dog walkers.

#31 of 34 OFFLINE   bigshot

bigshot

Screenwriter

• 1,260 posts

Posted September 02 2014 - 09:27 AM

The last thing I want to see is panel discussions, disclaimers and apologies telling me I should feel guilty about enjoying the cartoon I'm about to see. Talk about a buzzkill. That's the entertainment equivalent of suicide. That's what made me rip all of my Disney DVDs and cut Leonard Maltin out. I like Leonard Maltin, but all those apologies forced on me by the menu structure infuriated me.

#32 of 34 OFFLINE   Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo

Supporting Actor

• 642 posts

Posted September 03 2014 - 07:05 AM

I remember when the inclusion of objectionable material in a release, e.g. pre-code movies and cartoons, was a selling point and not a warning.

#33 of 34 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,250 posts

Posted September 03 2014 - 08:16 AM

I remember when the inclusion of objectionable material in a release, e.g. pre-code movies and cartoons, was a selling point and not a warning.

Just another example of dumbing down and ignorance in this big, wide, wonderful polically-correct world we live in.

• Retro00064 likes this

#34 of 34 OFFLINE   bigshot

bigshot

Screenwriter

• 1,260 posts

Posted September 03 2014 - 09:17 AM

Don't kid yourself. There is a definite subgroup of people who are focused on racial depictions because they actually are racist. It isn't a high percentage of film fans, but it exists.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users