What's new

Blu-ray Review Tom & Jerry The Golden Collection Volume 1 Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

ThadK

Second Unit
Vaudevillian said:
Your print?! If you have a copy that looks so much better than why is it in your hands? It should be in their hands. That goes for all private collectors here. If what you have looks better than what the studios have then you should offer them yours. Otherwise there is no room to complain how theirs looks. Especially when one is sitting on prints. (This is why I feel no one, aside from the studios, should own prints. That way, when we get releases, we get it from the best sources possible and not whatever the studios have while private collectors keep theirs hidden.

BTW, Tom and Jerry looks fantastic. They look the best we have ever seen them on home video.

A few things...

To reiterate, for what I hope is the last time: there is a common misconception that only one set of CRI elements exists on the MGM cartoons. This is false. There are two, maybe three, sets of them. One set looks absolutely stunning, the next best thing to original nitrate material. WHV did right and used those for most of the cartoons - except for the noted ten. They goofed and sourced them from inferior CRIs with a decidedly Eastman flavor - bad color and 60s lion logo being the giveaway.

My mention of the modern 16mm prints I own is just to prove the point that superior CRI elements exist on those titles and are alive and well.

(What's funny is that I was just with a bunch of older film collectors Saturday night, and they brought up this release... At least one said they preferred the HD, crummy color transfers to the older, SD, over-saturated colors, so to each his own. All of us agreed that the titles done right were done right, though.)

As for the comments on whether the concept of film collectors should exist or not, you, my friend, are lucky you're in a forum populated by so few of them!

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Your print?! If you have a copy that looks so much better than why is it in your hands? It should be in their hands. That goes for all private collectors here. If what you have looks better than what the studios have then you should offer them yours. Otherwise there is no room to complain how theirs looks. Especially when one is sitting on prints. (This is why I feel no one, aside from the studios, should own prints. That way, when we get releases, we get it from the best sources possible and not whatever the studios have while private collectors keep theirs hidden.
Wow, you have much to learn...

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
I've got a stack of TV syndication prints of MGM cartoons from the last batch distributed on 16mm. Some of them look nice, but none of them come close to looking as good as the blu-ray when projected the same size (10 feet wide screen) on my system. Some look better than others, and a couple of the blu-ray cartoons don't look as good as the rest... but overall, it's no contest.

Blu-ray is the best thing to happen to cartoons in a long time. When I pull out my laserdiscs of the Betty Boop set with massive DVNR, or look at the grossly oversaturated and macro blocked Golden Age of Looney Tunes collections, I thank my lucky stars that the quality of home video has improved.

Now if I didn't have a hidef projection system, just an old tube TV, DVD might be acceptable, and good 16mm prints would definitely look better than that. But blu-ray on a big hidef screen blows all of that out of the water.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
You don't need your stack of TV syndication prints because you have a "big hidef screen."

Whoa.

You should return those prints to the studio.

Or you can send them to me and I will return them for you.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Re-release on March 17.

Maybe volume 2 and 3 will now be released on Blu-ray in the near future? Probably not but we can always wish.

Jerry Beck has said this is just a re-release via Warner Archive because the original set went out of print. He went on to say T&J is still under the family division of WHV, therefore nothing has changed regarding the scrapped second volume.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Anyway to know which DVD to buy for the best volume 2 and 3? I know there was some problem with the volume 2 DVD and you had to ask WB for a corrected disc. Also some of the Cinemascope shorts had stereo sound. I bought the Tom and Jerry Spotlight Collection Volumes 1-3 and it has most if not all of the shorts from the previous release but they are missing some of the extras and the commentaries.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Jerry Beck has said this is just a re-release via Warner Archive because the original set went out of print. He went on to say T&J is still under the family division of WHV, therefore nothing has changed regarding the scrapped second volume.

So WHV titles can earn extra money going to WAC but WAC can't get WHV titles to satisfy fans (and make money).

Gotcha.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

Received in the mail from Amazon. Only thing missing is the booklet. Would love to have all the CinemaScope titles with stereo sound (DVD had one)!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks