Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The King and I (Blu-ray) Single Available for Preorder

Fox

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
238 replies to this topic

#221 of 239 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 2,445 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted October 25 2014 - 11:21 PM

I actually wound up buying 2 copies of "Lost Horizon" on Blu-ray (something I sometimes do with titles I particularly enjoy - like a safety-measure).  The first time I saw this film was when I was 12, at home recovering from some weird viral infection when I suffered hallucinations and this film - playing as the 'Afternoon Movie' on television, seemed to fit my present condition.  

Specific scenes stuck in my head - Liv and the kids singing "The World is a Circle" and Michael York dragging Olivia Hussey through the snow only to discover she had turned into an old woman.  For years afterwards I wondered if the film was 'trippy' or if my illness had made it so.  

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#222 of 239 OFFLINE   OliverK

OliverK

Screenwriter

• 1,874 posts

Posted October 26 2014 - 07:58 AM

davidmatychuk  has just announced on another thread that he bought the new stand-alone Blu-ray of "The King and I" and the sad news is that, as expected, it is the same ghastly blue tinged version.

Oh well, maybe in a couple of years time we may get a decent and proper 4k version.

Here's hoping.

Doug.

Anything else would have been a big surprise especially given the fact that there was no previous announcement that it would be corrected.

I wonder what Fox has to say about all these titles from them that came out so wrong. So far I cannot remember that anybody from Fox said anything about the color timing in The King and I and some other more hotly disputed titles like The Blue Max.

#223 of 239 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,661 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted May 21 2015 - 06:10 AM

It's only $9.96 now on Amazon so, I'm thinking of picking it up. To try and correct the color problems as much as possible, if I decrease the blue color on my projector, is there anything else I need to do colorwise?

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#224 of 239 OFFLINE   Chuck Pennington

Chuck Pennington

Supporting Actor

• 882 posts

Posted May 21 2015 - 06:30 AM

That won't fix it. It's as if the red channel is lacking, making everything quite blue.

#225 of 239 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,661 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted May 21 2015 - 08:00 AM

That won't fix it. It's as if the red channel is lacking, making everything quite blue.

So I'll increase the red.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#226 of 239 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,661 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted May 22 2015 - 07:45 AM

The price on Amazon just doubled to $19.96 so I'll have to wait for the next sale.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#227 of 239 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 2,445 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted May 22 2015 - 01:23 PM

The price on Amazon just doubled to $19.96 so I'll have to wait for the next sale.

Also keep tabs on sales at FoxConnect.com...  That's how I got my copy dirt-cheap. 

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

#228 of 239 OFFLINE   larrdog

larrdog

Stunt Coordinator

• 102 posts

Posted May 22 2015 - 07:05 PM

I just got The King and I Blu-ray for 10.00 at Wal-Mart.

#229 of 239 OFFLINE   Konstantinos

Konstantinos

Supporting Actor

• 599 posts

Posted May 23 2015 - 06:50 AM

POPULAR

It's still  beyond me, how there are people in charge that actually saw this, thought "Ok, this is a great transfer, let's release it", and approved it!!

And it's not like this is an unknown B-movie that could be released anyhow without any work on it..

#230 of 239 OFFLINE   Mark Booth

Mark Booth

Screenwriter

• 1,161 posts

Posted May 23 2015 - 12:50 PM

It's still  beyond me, how there are people in charge that actually saw this, thought "Ok, this is a great transfer, let's release it", and approved it!!

And it's not like this is an unknown B-movie that could be released anyhow without any work on it..

Fox needs to fire the person that approved the 'King and I' transfer and hire someone that isn't color blind.

Mark

#231 of 239 OFFLINE   Konstantinos

Konstantinos

Supporting Actor

• 599 posts

Posted May 23 2015 - 02:10 PM

Fox needs to fire the person that approved the 'King and I' transfer and hire someone that isn't color blind.

Mark

I doubt that only one person approves.

It's more likely a team of people.

I'd like to purchase that musical set so much, but I can't due to this Bluray.

And some of the others aren't sold individually either to purchase them. :(

#232 of 239 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 2,445 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted May 23 2015 - 03:58 PM

Presumably single editions of the remaining titles ("Carousel" and "State Fair") are coming later in the year, although given Fox's lack of classics releases this year, maybe not.  

#233 of 239 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,632 posts
  • LocationWhittier, California

Posted May 23 2015 - 08:19 PM

I think I will hold off on the King And I as much as I would love to own that movie.  I have many other movies to buy plus limited money to put aside for equipment upgrades.  So for the time being with money going towards upgrades I think I will hold off for this movie to be released on UHD Blu-ray.  If it is then great if this movie will not see 4K UHD for a long time and the corrected 1080p bluray is released I will get that instead.

Supporter of 1080p & 4K/UHD video (257 Blu-ray Titles)/ Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose

#234 of 239 OFFLINE   lionel59

lionel59

Second Unit

• 499 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted May 23 2015 - 11:00 PM

In all honesty, the SD release looks much better. I believe  that earlier transfer can be viewed in HD online, as can CAROUSEL (which looks even worse on Fox's blu ray disc).

#235 of 239 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,632 posts
  • LocationWhittier, California

Posted May 24 2015 - 10:01 AM

I will just hold off on this title for now.  All available funds are going towards a possible uhd blu-ray player purchase, if not then those funds will get shifted to buy a new receiver.  There are just far to many things I would like to do and not enough money.   :(  Will soon have $800 put aside for a possible uhd blu-ray player and if I make the purchase then I will decide if I am going to hold out or not for this title.

Edited by Dave Moritz, May 24 2015 - 10:02 AM.

Supporter of 1080p & 4K/UHD video (257 Blu-ray Titles)/ Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose

#236 of 239 OFFLINE   SFMike

SFMike

Stunt Coordinator

• 188 posts

Posted May 24 2015 - 07:00 PM

POPULAR

Again in regard to this crappy transfer it amazes me how the corporate world deals with our complaints by completely ignoring them. Like Disney and it's cancelation of blu-ray 3D releases in Region 1 the corporate response is complete silence to our complaints and questions which is the corporate version of FU we don't even consider you exist as your income stream isn't up to the high standards of our overlords and shareholders. One might remember good customer service if you are old enough to remember the 20th century.

#237 of 239 OFFLINE   noel aguirre

noel aguirre

Stunt Coordinator

• 146 posts

Posted June 01 2015 - 07:56 AM

Should I get the HD iTunes version? I cannot watch this disc in my boxed set. Makes me so mad. Grrrrrr

#238 of 239 OFFLINE   noel aguirre

noel aguirre

Stunt Coordinator

• 146 posts

Posted June 01 2015 - 07:59 AM

I actually wound up buying 2 copies of "Lost Horizon" on Blu-ray (something I sometimes do with titles I particularly enjoy - like a safety-measure). The first time I saw this film was when I was 12, at home recovering from some weird viral infection when I suffered hallucinations and this film - playing as the 'Afternoon Movie' on television, seemed to fit my present condition.

Specific scenes stuck in my head - Liv and the kids singing "The World is a Circle" and Michael York dragging Olivia Hussey through the snow only to discover she had turned into an old woman. For years afterwards I wondered if the film was 'trippy' or if my illness had made it so.

For me it's the duet between Hussey and Kellerman in the library. The bad choreography and especially the end where they burst into laughter. Priceless.

#239 of 239 OFFLINE   lionel59

lionel59

Second Unit

• 499 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted June 01 2015 - 11:49 PM

I think it's more 'limited choreography'. Hermes Pan was great with real dancers, but only had Bobby Van in that category to work with in the cast of this film. Personally, I think it's one of the better songs in the score. The lyrics and staging of 'LIving Together, Growing Together' make me cringe far more (though the re-instated Vegas-syle dance number with the mostly non-Eastern- looking bodybuilders is laugh-inducing. Good editing and cinematography nonetheless).

I think if you were a fairly undiscriminating teenager with a love for musicals and/or movies when this came out, this movie will always hold a special place in your life/heart/memory/'Guilty Pleasures' list. Here in Australia it was heavily advertised and I remember reading an article in the newspaper  heralding the fact that audiences were ignoring the critics and flocking to the movie. It broke a house record in the Hoyts Mid-City complex on its first week of playing. It did look great in 70mm. Our prints here were the shortened version so the slower songs which bring the film to a dead halt ("Where Knowledge Ends", "If I could Go Back") were mercifully excised. Do trivia-lovers know that Ross Hunter used another former FLOWER DRUM SONG cast member in this film? The woman being celebrated for her new motherhood status is portrayed by Virginia Ann Lee, who played the older girl who performs The Other Generation with Patrick Adiarte (the 'groovy' brother of the character played by James Shigeta, who is in this number. He was also the Crown Prince in THE KING AND I , to get-slightly- back on topic). Another Asian actress- Miiko Taka- who made a splash in the '50's as Brando's lover in SAYONARA (who Joshua Logan reportedly later regretted casting) plays a small role as a nurse in the hospital where Peter Finch recovers in the penultimate scene.

Some fans may not know that Charles Boyer- who I think is quite effective in his role, making the dialogue sound better than it really is- sadly took his own life in a state of grief soon after his wife died in 1978. He only made two more movies after LOST HORIZON, his last being Minnelli's ill-advised final motion picture (though no doubt loved by a devoted few) A MATTER OF TIME. A kind-of reunion movie with his GASLIGHT co-star Ingrid Bergman.

Final note, I believe at one stage Liv Ullman refused to let interviewers bring up this movie in their questions. If more critics had agreed with Julian Fox's FILMS AND FILMING review, this never would have happened (Did he keep his job?)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users