Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
Blu-ray Reviews

Bedknobs and Broomsticks Blu-ray Review

Blu-ray Disney

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#61 of 74 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,314 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted August 12 2014 - 12:29 PM

The WDW shirt was a nice touch, seeing how that opened in 1971, too.

As for the pencil lines, Milt Kahl had this to say:

Barrier: Your mentioning The Aristocats reminded me of the construction lines that are visible in the old lady and the lawyer in the opening scenes.

Kahl: When I've shown rough tests to people, they seem to have enjoyed them. I think that if the animation is good and the character's believable, I don't think there's anything wrong with the thing being frankly a drawing. I don't think [the construction lines] really bother anyone. It's like the flicker of Xerox: at least the flicker of Xerox is a three-dimensional flicker, a flicker in depth rather than a flicker from side to side. And that's what we used to get in inking, especially in the very slow-moving scenes. When you have something that's held, re­gardless of how slowly it moves into the hold, it'll freeze [in Xerox]; and what I've done, very much in the past, is to have two drawings, one a tracing of the other, and alternate them. It's not that there's anything wrong with the freeze, but the audience will become conscious of it.

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#62 of 74 OFFLINE   SFMike

SFMike

Stunt Coordinator

• 142 posts

Posted August 12 2014 - 01:01 PM

I feel sorry for this guy because he just doesn't get it that they don't care. I do feel his pain as I have lost hope for them to ever offer us quality with restored material again.....or bluray 3D.

#63 of 74 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,314 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted August 12 2014 - 01:03 PM

I feel sorry for this guy because he just doesn't get it that they don't care. I do feel his pain as I have lost hope for them.

This is the wake-up call for a lot of us: discerning consumers, Disney's just not that into you.

What is the alternative, say nothing and ensure Disney will do nothing?

Enough is enough, Disney. No more evasions or excuses. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray along with the uncut version of Bedknobs and Broomsticks on Blu-ray. I am going to boycott The Walt Disney Company until then.

#64 of 74 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,314 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted August 12 2014 - 05:25 PM

This is getting interesting. It seems I spoke too soon about the film's status on iTunes.

• Mark Walker likes this

#65 of 74 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,545 posts

Posted August 13 2014 - 06:25 PM

As far as just downloading it directly from iTunes or Amazon, it looks like the extended version has been completely removed from both sites. Obviously, there could be a variety of reasons for this, but it would be difficult not to come to the conclusion that they seem to be actively suppressing the extended version.

Really bizarre.

"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#66 of 74 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,314 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted August 13 2014 - 07:04 PM

Obviously, there could be a variety of reasons for this, but it would be difficult not to come to the conclusion that they seem to be actively suppressing the extended version.

Disney actively suppress a movie? Whatever gave you that idea? I think the chance of that is zip. ;)

The irony is that they are adding the iTunes extras. As for Music Magic, they end its description by saying, "and learn why some of them had to be cut." No, they didn't have to be cut. The Committee made a collective decision to do so rather than stand up to Radio City Music Hall. Likewise, Disney had a choice between the following options:

—Release both versions, everyone's happy.

—Release the uncut version, only those who prefer it are happy.

—Release the cut version, only those who prefer that are happy.

and they chose the last one. There is no explanation. Do they intend never to release the uncut version again? Technically, it is also a theatrical cut as it has had a handful of theatrical playdates (and I've managed to miss them all). If Disney wanted to improve on the dubbing, they could get English voice actors.

In the end, there's only so much of what was done to it that can be undone, but what can be done should be. And I would have been willing to wait for the disc if that was necessary and if they were willing to do so.

Let Criterion have it if they want it. Throw in Song of the South so they can deal with whatever happens after. Or maybe if Shout! and Disney want to make a deal, they can include this. Anything to get this film away from Disney.

• classicmovieguy likes this

#67 of 74 OFFLINE   Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter

• 1,545 posts

Posted August 13 2014 - 07:33 PM

Disney actively suppress a movie? Whatever gave you that idea? I think the chance of that is zip. ;)

I know :) I just figured this was a case of their not wanting to pay for the seamless branching preparation and authoring. And if they are suddenly trying to keep the extended version from being available (and of course I don't know if they are), I really can't figure out the reason for it.

Also, it appears that there are still a few bits missing from the deleted scenes and songs section that were in the extended cut.

"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle; it's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

#68 of 74 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,314 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted August 13 2014 - 08:51 PM

I know :) I just figured this was a case of their not wanting to pay for the seamless branching preparation and authoring. And if they are suddenly trying to keep the extended version from being available (and of course I don't know if they are), I really can't figure out the reason for it.

Also, it appears that there are still a few bits missing from the deleted scenes and songs section that were in the extended cut.

I doubt it's because they want to go back and re-restore it in a way that missing audio parts can be made to match the original actors as much as possible; the most you can really do is change the pitch and use an equalizer it to recreate the unusual aural characteristics of dialogue in Disney films of this era. They should have thought about that 20 years ago. Imagine how "Nobody's Problems For Me" would sound when played with a real orchestra.

• Will Krupp and classicmovieguy like this

#69 of 74 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,314 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted August 16 2014 - 10:41 AM

Other reviews are scarce, but Greg Ehrbar, co-author of the indispensable book Mouse Tracks, has a review with an unusual suggestion that Disney is sure to ignore because it makes too much sense: let Disney Movie Club do the uncut version on Blu-ray. Now that they're releasing The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes and The Apple Dumpling Gang as BD exclusives, they might as well.

• Mark Walker likes this

#70 of 74 OFFLINE   Will Krupp

Will Krupp

Screenwriter

• 1,122 posts

Posted August 18 2014 - 03:30 AM

POPULAR

Sorry, but I'll never watch B&B without the full "Eglantine" sequence ever again.  It's my favorite part of the whole movie (two comic troupers doing what they do best and selling it hard to the cheap seats, it's a wonder to behold) and I personally think it's unconscionable that Disney is pretending that they never did the expensive restoration work in the first place.  That being said, they can do what they want and so can I.  They don't care if I buy their blu-ray so I'm not going to.  I've been perfectly happy with the longer cut on DVD so, if Disney wants to pretend the longer cut doesn't exist, I'll just pretend the blu-ray doesn't exist and spend that money on something else.  They don't need my money and I don't need their inadequate blu-ray.

• MatthewA, Nick*Z, Rob_Ray and 5 others like this

#71 of 74 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,512 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted August 18 2014 - 05:07 AM

POPULAR

Sorry, but I'll never watch B&B without the full "Eglantine" sequence ever again.  It's my favorite part of the whole movie (two comic troupers doing what they do best and selling it hard to the cheap seats, it's a wonder to behold) and I personally think it's unconscionable that Disney is pretending that they never did the expensive restoration work in the first place.  That being said, they can do what they want and so can I.  They don't care if I buy their blu-ray so I'm not going to.  I've been perfectly happy with the longer cut on DVD so, if Disney wants to pretend the longer cut doesn't exist, I'll just pretend the blu-ray doesn't exist and spend that money on something else.  They don't need my money and I don't need their inadequate blu-ray.

My sentiments exactly.  I couldn't say it any better, so I'll simply "Like" this post and say "You tell it like it is, will!"

• MatthewA, Will Krupp, Peter Keller and 2 others like this

#72 of 74 OFFLINE   SFMike

SFMike

Stunt Coordinator

• 142 posts

Posted August 18 2014 - 09:02 AM

POPULAR

Excellent post...I fully agree.

• Will Krupp, Rob_Ray and classicmovieguy like this

#73 of 74 OFFLINE   Will Krupp

Will Krupp

Screenwriter

• 1,122 posts

Posted August 18 2014 - 09:20 AM

thank you, gentlemen!  ;)

• classicmovieguy likes this

#74 of 74 OFFLINE   MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,314 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted August 18 2014 - 08:16 PM

Even if you do buy it, neither Richard M. Sherman nor any of Robert B. Sherman's children will see a dime from it. Bob addressed the issue of home video royalties in Moose:

In 1984 however, [that other Robert Stevenson musical] touched a whole new generation and became the second best selling video of all-time. I know this because I got an engraved plastic plaque from some organization stating as much. The film that beat out ... was a blue picture called Deep Throat. Ironically, neither Dick and I ever saw a dime from those ... video sales. I'd be happy to give back the plaque and take the money instead. An accountant once informed me that back money we would probably be owed by now would be in the neighborhood of 15 million dollars.

And that's just from that one movie. Add in the others they worked on and who knows how much it would be!

And Will,

If I could like your post a million times, I would.

• Will Krupp likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Blu-ray Reviews, Blu-ray, Disney

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users