What's new

Blu-ray Review Bedknobs and Broomsticks Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Maltin may not work for Disney anymore, but a blog post would suffice. He's the first critic I could think of who had anything favorable to say about the film, and it was one of the few Disney films of this era for which he did have a kind word. And if making noise has no effect on the studio's actions, silently grumbling to oneself and holding it in until such time — if any — when they put out a better version is even worse because in addition to having no effect on their actions, one is left wondering whether one could have done something if one had spoken out.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I clearly need to rewatch the movie. I've been keeping up fairly well with all the references and dropped lines, but Aunt Bessie is totally escaping me. It's also been a number of years, so it's about time.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I toggled back and forth on this one - desperately wanting a hi-def copy of one of the studio's most beloved masterworks, but ultimately it was the Aunt Bessie comment herein that led to my canceling my Amazon order. It's the most poignant few lines of Cindy O'Callaghan's (Carrie) performance. The truncated song selection really doesn't work, in my opinion. I remember seeing Bedknobs in a theater as a child and thinking something was remiss in the theatrical cut.

It just didn't seem to have the continuity I expected in a Disney musical. It was certainly no Mary Poppins. After viewing the restored edition in a theater with two young nieces for its anniversary, both of whom had never seen it before in any version I had my epiphany too. Suddenly, comments left in the film - that seemed to be dangling in mid-air before - had context and purpose, the musical program fleshed out with some 'jolly good' songs that were perfectly integrated into the plot and Angela Lansbury's 'Nobody's Problems' the icing on the proverbial cake - a poignant ballad to crystalize her reluctance as a spinster to entirely commit to Mr. Brown, although she had come to this inevitable conclusion.

Since that time, I've always preferred the extended cut and having Disney give us the 'bits' as it were, hacked together as a special feature rather than being incorporated back into the actual film - which has already been done for its anniversary theatrical release and on DVD - just makes me ill.

I've noted my displeasure over at the Mouse House but don't think it will actually amount to much. If the studio had any concern at all for its consumer base this release NEVER would have happened without a seamless branching option. Badly done is BADLY done - period!

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
The song omission that smarts me the most is "Nobody's Problems". In the original version, Eglantine's parting comments to Emelius are based around how much the children will miss him; she doesn't involve her own feelings in any direct way.

When she retreats back to the kitchen in the extended cut to sing "Nobody's Problems" we see a woman who has been a 'loner' (almost an outcast - certainly Pepperringe Eye's "oddball"). She tries to fool herself into believing - as she probably did for years before the Rawlins children arrived - that her life is better without the burdens of having to look after others, but the reality is of course so different. Finally, Eglantine has a purpose, a family.

I don't think Ms Lansbury would be pleased to know that, once again, the song is back on the cutting-room floor.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Perhaps there's time to salvage the overseas releases. It hasn't been released on Blu-ray in Europe or Australia yet.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
One very small consolation. The iTunes download that comes with the Blu-ray is for the extended 139 minute version. However this HD download doesn't benefit from the new restoration. It's the same one that has been available for a couple of years. Comparing the iTunes download to the Blu-ray, there are slight differences in framing, the download has speckles, bob and weave, as well as slightly weaker color and contrast.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
It's probably the same transfer from the 2001 and 2009 DVDs. I already bought the iTunes and VUDU just so I could have something of it in HD at the correct length. Looks like I got there just in time.
classicmovieguy said:
The song omission that smarts me the most is "Nobody's Problems". In the original version, Eglantine's parting comments to Emelius are based around how much the children will miss him; she doesn't involve her own feelings in any direct way.

When she retreats back to the kitchen in the extended cut to sing "Nobody's Problems" we see a woman who has been a 'loner' (almost an outcast - certainly Pepperringe Eye's "oddball"). She tries to fool herself into believing - as she probably did for years before the Rawlins children arrived - that her life is better without the burdens of having to look after others, but the reality is of course so different. Finally, Eglantine has a purpose, a family.
Age is one of themes in the film; hence the songs "The Old Home Guard" and "The Age of Not Believing," Mrs. Hobday's comment to Captain Greer "we may have been out of things for the last few hundred years, but we pride ourselves on the history of this community," etc. Some have suggested the film might have been a bigger hit with Julie Andrews, but while she would have had no trouble with the score, she was ten years Lansbury's junior. A younger Miss Price would have negated the poignancy of her and Mr. Browne coming together in middle age.

Likewise, "With A Flair" is Mr. Browne's whole philosophy of life, and what a way to teach the viewers how to discern the difference between "real" (in-universe, that is) magic with obvious fakery. He was once an accomplished performer (at least the poster with him and that Francesca woman suggests his career has seen much better days), but now he's living hand-to-mouth in someone else's house.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I would suggest anyone who gets the Blu-ray and wants the extended cut from iTunes redeem their code and download it ASAP. It wouldn't surprise me if iTunes replaces the file with the restored shorter version just like they did when Sword in the Stone came out on Blu-ray.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Or better yet, skip the Blu-ray and buy the iTunes version, or buy it from VUDU while you still can.

While you're at it, enjoy this article and send a message to Disney at the bottom (David Tomlinson was also in The Love Bug, why do they never mention that?).

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Mark-P said:
I would suggest anyone who gets the Blu-ray and wants the extended cut from iTunes redeem their code and download it ASAP. It wouldn't surprise me if iTunes replaces the file with the restored shorter version just like they did when Sword in the Stone came out on Blu-ray.
And there you have it. As we rolled into release day, iTunes replaced the file with the short version. :( Sorry, guys.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
MatthewA said:
They increased by one. I just bought the Enchanted Musical Edition (and a NEW copy, no less) to send a message to Mickey.
BTW - Don't you just love the menu on that version? The bed 'flying' through the various locations of the story. Absolutely delightful.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
MatthewA said:
They increased by one. I just bought the Enchanted Musical Edition (and a NEW copy, no less) to send a message to Mickey.
This is sending a message to the mouse (sorry Mickey nothing against you personally).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11O858_iYkE&list=UUBvuZCS1HSQ2j19WmCvhpVQ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks