What's new

Denon 1803 headache (1 Viewer)

David Van Onselen

Auditioning
Hi guy,

I have just bought an 1803 Denon and am starting to feel I wasted my money. I don't have much budget so I only have 2 speakers on it at the moment and RCAs connecting my DSTV (set top satellite tv receiver) and then RCAs to the tv. The sound is muffled and the volume is oscillating as if it thinks it has more speakers and is trying to give surround sound. I have run the setup and switched off the other speakers but it makes no difference. I surround is set to stereo. I don't know what else to do. Also with the muffled sound - I can't get the selector to give me the bass and treble settings. Went according to the manual - the settings simply aren't there. I then tried the "reset" facility - holding the "surround back" and "tone defeat" buttons when switching on. Made no difference either. Where am I going wrong?

David Van Onselen

Auditioning
I'm using a single RCA from the "monitor out" connection on the AVR to the "video in" on the television. Sorry if I wasn't clear - I know what I want to say but sometimes it comes out a bit backward

David Van Onselen

Auditioning
The satellite decoder is connected to the AVR via three RCA leads - video out and audio outs on the decoder run to VCR1 inputs on the AVR

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I assume the STB(satellite box) has a digital output.Have you tried it?I would also assume the prior owner had it setup for digital inputs. If so, "unset it".You could also try the 6 channel MCH to see if it solves this oscillation. What speakers are you using?

David Van Onselen

Auditioning
I'm using a set of Sony bookshelf speakers. The only other option for connecting the STB is an HDMI cable which is of no use on the AVR as it's an older model without HDMI inputs

Will try the MCH option and see what happens

Any idea why I don't get the bass and treble menu?

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
I'm not sure that I would run video into that AVR since it's a bit older and doesn't do HDMI. However, it does do both optical and digital coax for input. If it were me I would run the STB video up to the TV via HDMI or component video and the audio to the AVR via the above digital options. That's assuming that the STB has a digital audio out option, but most of now should. I think this would really make your life easier.

Have you tried putting the AVR into Stereo mode? I'm not sure all the different sound options you have but usually you can pick a stereo option. If you have the factory remote it's right next to the direct button.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks