What's new

Question about compatible file formats for most BD players (1 Viewer)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
All of my BD players are also data players which will play virtually anything. I have no experience with ordinary BD players, if there is such a thing.

I'm walking into a situation blind where I would like to play an HD file but I am not sure of the model of the player I will be stuck with. Unfortunately as I am traveling I am not in a situation where I can author a proper BD disc in time. I was told I cannot interface with my laptop. All the information I could get is that there is a Blu-ray player set up for my use. I am going in with an MPEG-2 DVD that will play as a backup but would prefer to project my presentation in HD using a DVD 5 with a data file burned onto it. Is an MKV data file most likely to be compatible with a majority of BD players? I figured x264 mp4 and MKV, all at 1080, are my best bets.

I'd appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Carabimero said:
All of my BD players are also data players which will play virtually anything. I have no experience with ordinary BD players, if there is such a thing.

I'm walking into a situation blind where I would like to play an HD file but I am not sure of the model of the player I will be stuck with. Unfortunately as I am traveling I am not in a situation where I can author a proper BD disc in time. I was told I cannot interface with my laptop. All the information I could get is that there is a Blu-ray player set up for my use. I am going in with an MPEG-2 DVD that will play as a backup but would prefer to project my presentation in HD using a DVD 5 with a data file burned onto it. Is an MKV data file most likely to be compatible with a majority of BD players? I figured x264 mp4 and MKV, all at 1080, are my best bets.

I'd appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.
My LG Plasma TV and the LG Blu-ray player I had for it both had USB ports that would play pretty much everything, including the MP4 and MKV formats you mentioned.

I noticed that my girlfriend's PS3 would play x264 MP4 files just fine, but would be very temperamental about MKVs. Maybe if you have time to do it, make a disc with the file as an MP4, and the other as an MKV, just to cover yourself? I would think either of those two formats will play in most players.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Thanks. I have 3 discs prepared. I have an MKV at 1080, an x264 mp4 at 1080, and a properly authored MPEG-2 DVD if all else fails. My presentation would be ten times better in BD of course, as would my chances to get hired.

I just thought if there was some trick I could do to make it universally compatible, now was the time to ask.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I like to believe if my presentation is good enough, a few lines of resolution won't matter, but when they told me how big the screen was it will be projected on to, I nearly wet myself.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Carabimero said:
Thanks. I have 3 discs prepared. I have an MKV at 1080, an x264 mp4 at 1080, and a properly authored MPEG-2 DVD if all else fails. My presentation would be ten times better in BD of course, as would my chances to get hired.

I just thought if there was some trick I could do to make it universally compatible, now was the time to ask.
I think between the MKV and the MP4, that's about as close to universal as you can get.

Good luck with the presentation!

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I just hope I have a few minutes before crunch time to check compatibility, and it's not one of those deals where when I walk in, everyone is seated and waiting for the movie. If so, I guess I'll go with the MPEG-2 DVD. I'd hate to give the first impression that the disc I stuck in didn't work....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks