Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Cotton Comes To Harlem (1970) Available for Preorder

Kino

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,528 posts

Posted June 27 2014 - 09:23 AM

cotton-comes-to-harlem-movie-poster-1970-1020194569.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,913 posts

Posted June 27 2014 - 10:03 AM

I love this movie!  For once it will be released OAR instead of the fullscreen version now out on DVD.

Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain

Supporting Actor

• 703 posts
  • LocationGlendale, California

Posted June 27 2014 - 10:58 AM

When this film came out on DVD previously, it restored the original United Artists logo (with the "Entertainment from Transamerica Corporation" bylne).

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,528 posts

Posted June 27 2014 - 01:11 PM

Posted Image

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo

Supporting Actor

• 760 posts

Posted June 27 2014 - 04:28 PM

This was the first film I saw at the DeMille Theater on Broadway (referenced over in the Aspect Ratio Documentation thread). It was opening day, June 10, 1970 and two friends and I cut school for the afternoon (High School of Performing Arts two blocks away) to see the very first show with a packed house. Vincent Canby, the New York Times reviewer, was at that screening also and reviewed the film the next day (this was before advance screenings for critics became the norm). It's funny to read his baffled response as he wonders why the audience was so "confused" as to cheer the villain. :lol:

Here's the quote from Canby's review:

When I saw it at the first showing at the DeMille, it was apparent that the largely black audience was often as confused as I, not only by the plot but also by the point of view. Throughout most of the film, their sympathies were with the movie's villain, played with lovely, stylish cool by Lockhart, even to the extent that they snickered when St. Jacques upbraided the preacher for conning his own people. "You could have been a Marcus Garvey or a Malcolm," says the cop, but the audience, as far as I could tell, was simply disappointed that crime did not pay.

And here's the link:

http://www.nytimes.c...FB066838B669EDE

#6 of 15 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,635 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 27 2014 - 04:54 PM

Judy Pace, what a beautiful woman.  J.D. Cannon in blackface. :rolleyes:   Loved every moment of it especially the ending with Redd Foxx.  

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,930 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted June 27 2014 - 04:59 PM

Judy Pace, what a beautiful woman. J.D. Cannon in blackface. :rolleyes: Loved every moment of it especially the ending with Redd Foxx.

Well I fell in love with Judy Pace before I did with Pam Gier.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#8 of 15 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,635 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 27 2014 - 05:04 PM

Well I fell in love with Judy Pace before I did with Pam Gier.

Yeah, Judy first caught my eye in The Thomas Crown Affair.  Then she really showed off her terrific body in Cotton. :D

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,930 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted June 27 2014 - 05:16 PM

Yeah, Judy first caught my eye in The Thomas Crown Affair. Then she really showed off her terrific body in Cotton. :D

Your Clicking my memory on this just lead me to pre-order the title. Of course it was through the HTF link
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#10 of 15 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,635 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted June 27 2014 - 05:19 PM

Your Clicking my memory on this just lead me to pre-order the title. Of course it was through the HTF link

Hey, I was in high school during my first viewing of that film during it's theatrical run.  That's something you don't forget as a hot blooded teenage male. :)

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   Everett Stallings

Everett Stallings

Second Unit

• 400 posts
  • LocationWilmington,De

Posted June 28 2014 - 03:58 PM

I love this movie!  For once it will be released OAR instead of the fullscreen version now out on DVD.

Five On The Black Hand Side might be coming soon if this one does good.

Former projectionist @ all downtown theatres in Balto. City.Which are all closed. frown.gif

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,799 posts

Posted September 22 2014 - 09:41 PM

Transfer on this was VERY good.  The opening credit sequence was loaded with process shots, but once the actual movie starts it looked outstanding.  Great detail and color in nearly every scene.

"You could have been a Marcus Garvey or a Malcolm," says the cop, but the audience, as far as I could tell, was simply disappointed that crime did not pay.

But crime DID pay.  Red Foxx lived the high life after running off with all the money conned out of the poor folks in Harlem and the mafia secured its standing in the community after making a donation in the place of Foxx's absconding of the dough.

Also, St Jacques never said that line, it was Cambridge earlier in the move.  Lockhart simply repeated that line to St Jacques in a desperate bid to convince him to lay off.

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo

Supporting Actor

• 760 posts

Posted September 23 2014 - 08:59 AM

Transfer on this was VERY good.  The opening credit sequence was loaded with process shots, but once the actual movie starts it looked outstanding.  Great detail and color in nearly every scene.

But crime DID pay.  Red Foxx lived the high life after running off with all the money conned out of the poor folks in Harlem and the mafia secured its standing in the community after making a donation in the place of Foxx's absconding of the dough.

Also, St Jacques never said that line, it was Cambridge earlier in the move.  Lockhart simply repeated that line to St Jacques in a desperate bid to convince him to lay off.

Tell that to Vincent Canby. I was quoting his review.

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,799 posts

Posted September 23 2014 - 09:06 AM

Tell that to Vincent Canby. I was quoting his review.

Yeah I know, just felt like commenting on that. :)

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,153 posts

Posted September 23 2014 - 01:45 PM

Boy, if you don't jump right away on these Kino titles, they sure skyrocket in price. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users