What's new

Cotton Comes To Harlem (1970) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

cotton-comes-to-harlem-movie-poster-1970-1020194569.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
This was the first film I saw at the DeMille Theater on Broadway (referenced over in the Aspect Ratio Documentation thread). It was opening day, June 10, 1970 and two friends and I cut school for the afternoon (High School of Performing Arts two blocks away) to see the very first show with a packed house. Vincent Canby, the New York Times reviewer, was at that screening also and reviewed the film the next day (this was before advance screenings for critics became the norm). It's funny to read his baffled response as he wonders why the audience was so "confused" as to cheer the villain. :lol:

Here's the quote from Canby's review:
When I saw it at the first showing at the DeMille, it was apparent that the largely black audience was often as confused as I, not only by the plot but also by the point of view. Throughout most of the film, their sympathies were with the movie's villain, played with lovely, stylish cool by Lockhart, even to the extent that they snickered when St. Jacques upbraided the preacher for conning his own people. "You could have been a Marcus Garvey or a Malcolm," says the cop, but the audience, as far as I could tell, was simply disappointed that crime did not pay.
And here's the link:
http://www.nytimes.com/movie/review?res=9C0CEFD61439E63BBC4952DFB066838B669EDE

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Robert Crawford said:
Judy Pace, what a beautiful woman. J.D. Cannon in blackface. :rolleyes: Loved every moment of it especially the ending with Redd Foxx.
Well I fell in love with Judy Pace before I did with Pam Gier.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
ahollis said:
Well I fell in love with Judy Pace before I did with Pam Gier.
Yeah, Judy first caught my eye in The Thomas Crown Affair. Then she really showed off her terrific body in Cotton. :D

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Robert Crawford said:
Yeah, Judy first caught my eye in The Thomas Crown Affair. Then she really showed off her terrific body in Cotton. :D
Your Clicking my memory on this just lead me to pre-order the title. Of course it was through the HTF link

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
ahollis said:
Your Clicking my memory on this just lead me to pre-order the title. Of course it was through the HTF link
Hey, I was in high school during my first viewing of that film during it's theatrical run. That's something you don't forget as a hot blooded teenage male. :)

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
Charles Ellis said:
I love this movie! For once it will be released OAR instead of the fullscreen version now out on DVD.
Five On The Black Hand Side might be coming soon if this one does good.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Transfer on this was VERY good. The opening credit sequence was loaded with process shots, but once the actual movie starts it looked outstanding. Great detail and color in nearly every scene.
Vic Pardo said:
"You could have been a Marcus Garvey or a Malcolm," says the cop, but the audience, as far as I could tell, was simply disappointed that crime did not pay.
But crime DID pay. Red Foxx lived the high life after running off with all the money conned out of the poor folks in Harlem and the mafia secured its standing in the community after making a donation in the place of Foxx's absconding of the dough.

Also, St Jacques never said that line, it was Cambridge earlier in the move. Lockhart simply repeated that line to St Jacques in a desperate bid to convince him to lay off.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
JoHud said:
Transfer on this was VERY good. The opening credit sequence was loaded with process shots, but once the actual movie starts it looked outstanding. Great detail and color in nearly every scene.

But crime DID pay. Red Foxx lived the high life after running off with all the money conned out of the poor folks in Harlem and the mafia secured its standing in the community after making a donation in the place of Foxx's absconding of the dough.

Also, St Jacques never said that line, it was Cambridge earlier in the move. Lockhart simply repeated that line to St Jacques in a desperate bid to convince him to lay off.
Tell that to Vincent Canby. I was quoting his review.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks