Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Good Bluray player for my Setup.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   Brandon Carpenter

Brandon Carpenter

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted June 25 2014 - 10:04 PM

Howdy forum,

Looking to add a Bluray player to my setup and I wasn't sure what to get. I've seen some good reviews for the BDP-S790 but i'm not entirely sure if it's worth the $.

I'm using the Yamaha RX-A710 Receiver and the sound is great. But will a more expensive BR device offer better picture and audio quality compared to a $40 BR device? Or would I just be paying for the extra features.. I honestly don't need all the added features just the ability to watch blurays.

Although, if the BDP-S790  does offer a noticeably better picture/audio quality than I might just grab that one.

Thanks for the help,

Brandon. 

EDIT: I also welcome any recommendations ya'll might have for a BR player. Willing to spend around $200 for one if it's worth the dough.

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke

Screenwriter

• 1,254 posts
  • LocationWoodend Victoria Australia

Posted June 25 2014 - 10:42 PM

Whatever you get (and I'm a firm believer in the Oppo quality) just make it has multi-region BR playback so that the entire world can be your oyster ....

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,049 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 25 2014 - 10:57 PM

Most players will give you identical image and sound quality via HDMI, some players have superior analog audio outs, some have multi region capabilities or can be modded to enable multi region, some players have been known to have noise reduction switched on even when you set it to off, for example some Samsung blu ray players and this means grain reduction is being applied at all times, if you go for something like a Panasonic you will usually find it's cheap and reliable and does the job well.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 15,758 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted June 25 2014 - 11:27 PM

If you plan on replacing a DVD player, with a BD player to "play all"(even CD), get...1. One that does anamorphic correctly for DVD (not all can)2. Secondary audio output. Audio only, over HDMI, sucks.

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,332 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 12:33 AM

Brandon,

Welcome to the forum.  I think you'll find this place to be your new home.

I second the opinion of Panasonic.  Though I am an Oppo owner now, I have

previously owned Panasonics and they all preform beautifully.

Once you buy your player, keep us posted on what you are viewing and what

you think of the Blu-ray titles.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   vidiot33

vidiot33

Stunt Coordinator

• 140 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 05:01 AM

I've been doing home theater for 30+ years, and my take on blue ray players is that on newer movies, most players will look very similar. If you play a lot of older movies, then a more expensive player will look (and possibly sound) noticeably better. I also own both a Cambridge Audio and a Panasonic player, and both look and sound excellent with well mastered material. If you're into CD's, SACD's or DVDA's, you may want a more advanced player such as Oppo or Cambridge..

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   Brandon Carpenter

Brandon Carpenter

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 07:12 AM

Thank you all for your replies.For those recommending a Panasonic bluray player, do ya'll have a specific bluray player in mind that is around $200?Also I'm really only interested in playing blurays any nothing else.Note: I've. Noticed the sony bluray player I mention before has "super bit mapping", how important is that in a bluray player?Thanks again.

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,332 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 07:14 AM

Brandon,

http://www.amazon.co... blu-ray player

Take your pick.

Read the reviews.  They are always the best way to gauge the product.

You don't need 3D (unless you plan to upgrade)

Ronald J Epstein

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,049 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 26 2014 - 08:16 AM

Note: I've. Noticed the sony bluray player I mention before has "super bit mapping", how important is that in a bluray player?Thanks again.

Here you go.

http://www.sonyinsid...cer-technology/

I own a PS3, an Oppo and a Panasonic player, it's the placebo effect when people see differences in image quality between blu ray players or they have not calibrated each input on their displays independently to compare, there is no difference unless one of the players has some processing switched on or is faulty, HDTV Test found the same thing, there is no difference for image quality.

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   Brandon Carpenter

Brandon Carpenter

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 10:43 AM

Looks like I have all the information I need to make my decision, thanks for the help everyone!

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 42,332 posts

Posted June 26 2014 - 10:45 AM

Brandon you are welcome. Glad you joined us here. Once you get your player head over to the software discussion area.

Ronald J Epstein

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,270 posts

Posted June 28 2014 - 11:25 AM

"Most players will give you identical image and sound quality via HDMI."

With Blu-ray films, when there are no upscaling etc this is true. But I'm sure that there are some differences when it comes to DVD upscaling. Probably not huge differences among the quality brands in the similar price range, but still.

I would make sure that these are supported if you want to watch DVD and BD releases all over the world:

- Region free (both DVD and BD)

- Native PAL and native NTSC support (meaning, that I assume that some players can only have "PAL to NTSC" or "NTSC or PAL" conversion).

- Native 50Hz or 60Hz support for 1080i/50 and 1080i/60.

( ~ 100V- 240V, 50/60Hz AC power supply if you want e.g. US player and live in Europe )

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,049 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted June 28 2014 - 11:31 AM

"Most players will give you identical image and sound quality via HDMI."

With Blu-ray films, when there are no upscaling etc this is true. But I'm sure that there are some differences when it comes to DVD upscaling. Probably not huge differences among the quality brands in the similar price range, but still.

For upscaling i think Oppo are the best.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users