What's new

Playing Games via Sony Playstation Network, is it safe? Are hackers still attacking it? (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys,I have a question about the Playstation Network. Right now I have both a PS3 and Xbox 360. The Xbox was purchased because a friend wanted to try network game play with Forza. I'm a Gran Turismo fan, but Forza has it's pluses. We've been playing via network for a year and it's been pretty good. But I was curious about trying Gran Turismo via Playstation's Network. But my friend won't because of the hacking that occurred to Sony. If the network gaming service is free, unlike Microsoft, then is there still a danger to ones private information? I haven't tried or really looked into how it works for Sony. And I don't plan to buy or download anything. But I suppose there is certain information Sony will want before you sign onto the network. I have tried some searching on the web on the issue and I just find information on hacking a PS3 or jail breaking it. Either of which I'm not interested in. Thanks for any insights.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
December of last year, Sony reported a blank-password hack that compromised early systems (PS4) and as a result led to some hacking of PSN.

The # of users impacted was actually pretty small. But Sony reset the entire PSN, gave credits/etc. To this point today, it is as secure as we know of. Both Microsoft & Sony have had data compromised in the last two years.. so.. but still, as of right now, Sony should be fine on this front.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
To create an account, they will need your e-mail address. You create a password for the PSN but they will have your e-mail on file. You do NOT need to give them credit card info. Instead, you can buy PSN cards from Amazon or GameStop or Best Buy etc. and redeem those points to your account. You can also buy games through Amazon and get a redemption code to use on PSN.

So it is really very safe. That said, if you want to save money, cheapest way is to buy a disc-based copy of a game (not the digital PSN copy) used from GameStop or Best Buy or get the game during an Amazon or GameFly sale. Then you don't need to worry about the PSN hack stuff at all.

Real Name
Roger
I think the perspective that because a service is "free" means it's security is more lax is a misnomer. Yes, Playstation Network had a large scale database hacking occur in the April of 2011, but that could have easily been any company, including Microsoft.

Account hacking has happened on other occasions over the last couple of years to companies like Ubisoft, Nintendo, Bethesda, Codemasters and even eBay more recently. Hell, even Minecraft was hacked.

I have had both xbox and PSN subscriptions since the start of the last console generation and I have had no problems with either to this point. Even with the PSN hacking, I just cancelled my credit card, got a new one, changed my password and registered my new credit card with it and I've never had any issues with regards to fraud or identity theft arise from that incident.

Just because xbox live is a paid service doesn't make it any less likely for a hacking to occur, in fact, xbox live has had it's own smaller scale hacking issues to individuals as well, just not to the extent of the Playstation Network hacking, hence the news relating to this hasn't been as loud.

Simple fact is, any service can be hacked, if the hacking community dedicated their attention to one individual company, then their chances of succeeding are higher. If we spent our time worrying about "will my account be hacked" we would never use the service.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks everyone for the great feedback and info on signing up for Sony's network.I actually already own the game, as does my friend, so we're halfway there! It always asks me if I want to get on the network when I play it.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, in that case you just need to create a PSN account but you don't need to put in any credit card info or anything like that. If someone hacks PSN then all they would get is your email address and password for PSN. If you create a PSN-only password then that information is meaningless to hackers.

Also, XBL has 2 tiers (one free and one paid) just like PSN.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks