Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Edge of Tomorrow Reviews/Discussion

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#61 of 69 Mark Booth

Mark Booth

Supporting Actor

• 785 posts

Posted June 23 2014 - 07:11 AM

I honestly believe that Tom Cruise royally screwed up his audience appeal by jumping up and down on the chair during the Oprah Winfrey show.  I bet, if he could go back in time and have a do-over, he'd skip that particular "scene".

Personally, I think he's a terrific actor and what he does with his private life is his business and has ZERO affect on how I perceive him in a role on screen.

'Edge of Tomorrow' isn't just one of 2014's best movies, it's one of the best Sci-Fi/Action/Drama/Comedy movies I've seen in the last 30 years!  Everyone that is skipping it because of Tom Cruise (or any other reason) is only shorting themselves.

Mark

• Tim Glover and Tino like this

#62 of 69 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,426 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted June 23 2014 - 07:54 AM

I honestly believe that Tom Cruise royally screwed up his audience appeal by jumping up and down on the chair during the Oprah Winfrey show.

I agree but I think he's so insulated from the real world that he doesn't even know it was a bad move. I think another 'problem' of his in the US is that he's a Scientologist (since it's the only religion that you can publicly mock with no repercussions).

#63 of 69 Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss

Screenwriter

• 2,534 posts

Posted June 23 2014 - 08:03 AM

I honestly believe that Tom Cruise royally screwed up his audience appeal by jumping up and down on the chair during the Oprah Winfrey show.  I bet, if he could go back in time and have a do-over, he'd skip that particular "scene".

Personally, I think he's a terrific actor and what he does with his private life is his business and has ZERO affect on how I perceive him in a role on screen.

'Edge of Tomorrow' isn't just one of 2014's best movies, it's one of the best Sci-Fi/Action/Drama/Comedy movies I've seen in the last 30 years!  Everyone that is skipping it because of Tom Cruise (or any other reason) is only shorting themselves.

Mark

I agree but I think he's so insulated from the real world that he doesn't even know it was a bad move. I think another 'problem' of his in the US is that he's a Scientologist (since it's the only religion that you can publicly mock with no repercussions).

Agreed. I also think his awkward interview with Matt Lauer didn't help.

I love Tom Cruise movies. His faith is his faith - may not make sense to me, but what does that matter. I think he's a terrific actor with a marvelous resume of films and Edge of Tomorrow was absolutely entertaining, certainly one of his better movies of the last ten years. I've loved almost everything he's done, to varying degrees (I am a huge fan of Jack Reacher, the movie, not so much the novels.)

I get how some people can be turned off by a movie if there is a person in it they don't care for. However, I don't believe there are movies that I would avoid because of an actor. Even folk like Steven Seagal, who I used to enjoy but now don't care for at all, if he did a movie that looked interesting, I wouldn't avoid it.

Still, to each their own. I sincerely hope the international box office for Edge turn this into a hit, even a modest one financially, so Cruise can keep making this kind of entertaining movie.

• Tim Glover and TravisR like this
"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science" – Edwin Hubble
My DVD Collection

#64 of 69 Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,616 posts

Posted June 23 2014 - 01:17 PM

I think all these actors are weirdos :) And I really don't want to know all they do or believe in. Denial is not just a river in Egypt. :)

I think Cruise is among the best actors of all time. Rarely is he in a disaster. Didn't care for Jack Reacher but that list is VERY short. 

I agree with Mark Booth in that EoT is one of the great sci-fi action films...I eagerly await the Blu-ray release. BTW I also loved Oblivion. 

#65 of 69 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,556 posts

Posted June 24 2014 - 11:28 PM

It makes me laugh that people would judge a guy and determine that he was unwatchable in a movie due to letting passion get in the way of reason. So he jumped up on a chair and acted a bit nutty. Big deal. People writing him off as an actor because of that are bigger sad sacks than he ever was for what he did out of emotion. Like nobody has ever done something stupid in their life that they immediately regretted, but if you are a public figure suddenly you become a pariah for being human. It's ridiculous.

Charlie Sheen acts like an insane douche bag, manages to turn his stupidity into a positive and ends up landing on his feet in "Anger Management". Cruise jumps on a chair proclaiming "love" and his career is crippled? There is something seriously wrong with that picture. It just shows that the judgement of a lot of people is seriously impaired. It's a good thing I couldn't care less that he jumped on a chair and acted like a buffoon. If I had, I would have missed two good films, Brad Bird's Mission Impossible and this one, just because Tom Cruise was in them.

Edit: To tell the truth, I didn't think "Oblivion" was all that bad either; although, I didn't see that in the theater. I watched it on Blu-ray.

"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#66 of 69 Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,152 posts

Posted June 25 2014 - 01:05 PM

I think Tom Cruise has been made to sit in the box office equivalent of the "time out corner" long enough. Compared to Mel Gibson, Roman Polanski and many others, his mistakes were pretty tame. I think it was the Matt Lauer interview more than the couch jumping, or maybe the Katie Holmes relationship/marriage as a whole. Sure, there was an age difference, but that's not exactly unique for Hollywood or just about anywhere else.

I think it came down to this - at least half of Cruise's audience was women, and in a very inelegant way, he made comments (based on his religious beliefs) that came across as attacking a pretty well liked woman for having had postpartum depression. He came across as a bully, kicking someone who was already down. I think what he was trying to say was different from what actually came out of his mouth, but damage done.

So then combine that with, he's getting married again, and isn't his religion nutty, and wife-to-be mentions that she used to have a poster of him in her bedroom when she was a kid, and I think all of those things swirled around in the media until there was a general "ick" feeling surrounding him.

I also don't know if it's helped or hurt that lately he's been making far more action pictures than he ever did. I enjoyed both Oblivion and Edge Of Tomorrow, but their trailers made them seem so generic and not worth rushing out to see. I'm glad I saw those movies in spite of their dull trailers.

#67 of 69 Brian Dobbs

Brian Dobbs

Supporting Actor

• 765 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted July 02 2014 - 09:00 AM

Edge Of Tomorrow

8/10

#68 of 69 Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter

• 1,252 posts

Posted July 10 2014 - 08:15 AM

I really liked Edge of Tomorrow. I agree, it was one of the better Sci-Fi/Action/Drama/Comedy movies I have seen in a very long time!!!

8-9/10. Hands down.

• Tim Glover likes this
My DVD Collection

#69 of 69 Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,197 posts

Posted July 18 2014 - 06:36 AM

I didn't have much interest in this movie but I'm glad I listened to the word of mouth here and the reviews because I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Maybe it's a little convenient at the end that

Spoiler
but I can let it slide for the sake of upping the stakes.

Yeah, I think they had to do that.  If Cage could always "reset", then there's no real tension - he had to lose that power if the events were to have any meaning.

I finally got around to seeing this yesterday and liked it a lot.  It's been a meh year IMO, but the two movies I saw this week - "Edge" and "Apes" - have helped redeem it.

"Edge" is my favorite of the bunch so far.  Clever, smart and fun, it told its narrative in a fairly logical way and didn't spoonfeed the audience.  It dropped hints and clues but didn't shove tons of exposition down our throats much of the time, which I appreciated - I don't think the story ever really ground to a halt so Morris the Explainer could appear.  That's no mean feat given the complexity of the story.

It was fun to see Cruise alter his usual "true blue hero" template and play a coward for once.  Of course, this changes as the movie progresses, but I like the way it makes him out to be such a weasel at the start.

Of course, it comes with some plot holes - those become inevitable in a story of this sort - and I wasn't wild about the finale, but overall, I thought it was a smart, exciting and consistently compelling flick.  Too bad it didn't find more of an audience...

• Tim Glover likes this
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users