-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Photo Storage and Display

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 Northgun

Northgun

Stunt Coordinator

• 197 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 06 2014 - 07:47 AM

How do you store and display your photos? Do you just use albums? If you sell your photos, do you have a catalog system? What other things do you do with your photos?

#2 of 9 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,392 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 06 2014 - 12:03 PM

I do not sell any photos, but I use Smugmug for online display (see the link in my signature). I will also use Photoshop Elements to create slideshows with music to put on Blu-Ray discs to display on our 67-inch TV -- I need to learn how to do this in Lightroom yet. The iPad (or any other tablet) works well as a portable device to show friends/family photos, too (Smugmug has apps for both the iPad/iPhone and Android). Finally, I use a couple of online labs -- Meridian Pro and Mpix -- to order enlarged prints that we display on the walls in our home. Most prints I order are either 20x16, 30x20, or 36x24. I recently did a metallic print of the photo below from Meridian Pro that turned out pretty well.

451A7082-L.jpg

• Sam Posten likes this

#3 of 9 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,062 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 06 2014 - 12:25 PM

Beautiful, Scott. 

I could see why you'd want that hanging on your wall.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#4 of 9 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,968 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted April 06 2014 - 07:24 PM

Weekly Time Machine to an external drive that isn't connected unless it is actively backing up. This covers my OS and Apps and iTunes Library. Next time I find a 3TB drive cheap enough I will buy another one and run backup and take the copy to NJ for off site storage, but generally I can return the OS and Apps from cloud backups. The only thing that would be a bitch to get back is my media and even that I could get 90% back from iCloud and Amazon. I have too many songs to physically add em all to the iCloud music thing so I've had to turn that off. Hoping they bump it from 25000 to 50000 songs soon, that would cover me, for now.

My photos are stored on an 8TB thunderbolt raid. It its not connected unless I am actively editing pictures.
After each major photo import I use CCC to mirror this drive to a cheap backup drive.
I have a second mirror I keep in NJ.
I have my 'finals' all uploaded to Flickr.
I have my yearly selects made into books given as gifts to family.
I make a yearly backup of RAWs and Finals to Bluray I keep in a safe

It would kill me to lose any photos, so far this system has worked.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#5 of 9 Michael_K_Sr

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter

• 1,337 posts
  • LocationChicago 'burbs

Posted April 06 2014 - 08:01 PM

Sam, what 8TB drive have you found (for your CCC mirror) that is considered cheap?

I still have my entire Aperture library on the internal drive, although I'll be moving that to a Thunderbolt RAID sometime this year. After each import, I use CCC to clone the drive to an external disk and that drive is immediately taken offsite. I also have my machines backing up to Crashplan for cloud backup.

I generally don't sell my images, but at the end of the year I'll make books and calendars for family and friends.

#6 of 9 Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,392 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 07 2014 - 04:52 AM

While I use Smugmug for online display of my photos (the topic of this thread), I do not consider it a backup solution. I store my photos, both the RAW files and processed JPEGs, on an external hard drive. I store most of my other data on this drive, too. I then backup all my data to a 2nd attached external drive, plus I have a 3rd portable external drive that I leave unattached except when I perform another backup. Finally, like Michael, I use Crashplan as my offsite backup system. I figure that with 3 local copies plus one offsite copy of all my data, I should be covered.

#7 of 9 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,968 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted April 07 2014 - 07:47 AM

Think you misread, I have an expensive 8GB raid and use cheap _3_ TB drives for backups.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#8 of 9 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,817 posts

Posted April 09 2014 - 09:52 AM

Yeah, I'm considering a RAID solution again as well as my near-line external HDD fills up (for archiving/backups) while the primary photo/media store HDD on my old PC is on its last leg.

Been looking at WD's Red HDDs for this.

And upgrading to the Nikon D800 will force the issue in no time... :o  even though I still plan to shoot mostly in 1.2x crop for 25MP files, instead of 36MP, and maybe often enough in DX crop for 15MP as well -- will have to see...

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#9 of 9 Northgun

Northgun

Stunt Coordinator

• 197 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 15 2014 - 08:48 AM

These are some interesting ideas for storage. Im currently using a couple of external hard drives to store most my photos. For display I created albums using large scrap books so that I can put 8x10s and 8x12s in the pages. It leaves me room to put a name under the photo along with the photo number that corresponds with the digital file so I can easily find it for reprint if someone tells me that want that photo. I also have a website where I display some photos and have sold quite a few through the website as well. The first place I ever displayed photos on the internet was on deviantart. I still use it today, just not as often as I used to. Other than that, I have a few photos displayed in frames or done on canvas that my wife picked out around the house.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users