Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Blame It On Rio (1984). Imagine Michelle Johnson and Demi Moore on Blu.

Fox MGM

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 of 27 OFFLINE   Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad

Supporting Actor

• 545 posts
  • LocationMerritt Island, Florida

Posted March 22 2014 - 11:43 PM

Well if anyone is in the mood for a movie providing plenty of ridiculous romantic hijinks (including some nudity),  good acting by Michael Caine (playing Matthew Hollis)  and Joseph Bologna (playing Victor Lyons, my favorite character in this film) and some breathtaking scenes of Rio de Janerio, then this movie is for you.   Now imagine all the above being presented in glorious HD on a blu-ray. 

BlameItOnRio_1984.jpg

Especially the two female leads, gorgeous (but lacking a bit in acting talent) Michelle Johnson and....wait for it..... Demi Moore in one of her first movie roles.  Oh and did I mention that both show up topless in several scenes (Michelle Johnson more so that Demi Moore) and even one brief full frontal by Michelle.  

Oh the girls are pretty enough but equally captivating is the overall plot and the acting of the two male leads.  As a bonus we get a decent supporting role from Valerie Harper as Matthew's wife who initially kicks him over the side by going on a separate vacation.  Honestly though, not smart tearing your husband's heart out, then watching him go on vacation to a locale where gorgeous women abound as we get to see in several beach scenes.

And that basically sums up Blame It On Rio.   A ridiculous but definitely fun movie from the 80s.   

Blame It On Rio has seen a DVD release which while not a bad transfer just doesn't do this film (with its exotic locale, Rio) justice.  Unfortunately though still no Blu-ray release which I find rather surprising being that this movie was one of the more well-known flicks from 1984.

Its also available on Amazon Instant Video with a HD offering (though I won't vouch for the HD quality, I've had at least one Amazon HD offering which was lacking in the HD department).

IMDB Entry for Blame It On Rio.

YouTube clip from Blame It On Rio.

Wiki Entry for Blame It On Rio.

20th Century Fox originally held the rights, I believe that MGM now holds the rights.  Might be a Twilight Time candidate.

#2 of 27 ONLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,611 posts

Posted March 23 2014 - 12:24 AM

What twenty-something year-old with a VCR in 1984 didn't know about

Blame it on Rio?

It was the "go-to" film if you wanted to see some great nudity.

I'm go for a Blu-ray release. 

• Brian McP and cannon1 like this

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#3 of 27 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,914 posts

Posted March 23 2014 - 04:44 AM

I saw this film when it first came out and Demi Moore was pretty well unknown. Michelle Johnson was the one who caught my eye and held my attention. I thought it was a moderately amusing comedy but nothing special apart from Miss Johnson's youthful muliebrity. 

I didn't buy the DVD so I've only seen the film once. I would buy a good-quality Blu-ray disc. Is there any reason to assume one is coming?

#4 of 27 OFFLINE   Cinescott

Cinescott

Supporting Actor

• 839 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted March 23 2014 - 05:29 AM

I had a major crush on Michelle Johnson when this movie came out (what 20 year old male wouldn't?). So yes, I would get this Blu-ray in a heartbeat.

Funny how the tables turn and I would now be Michael Caine's age rather than Michelle's at the time. Gives viewing a different perspective.

Edit: I had no idea this movie was directed by Stanley Dolan, who also directed Singin' in the Rain, On the Town, Seven Brides for seven Brothers, etc., etc. You learn something new every day.

"There are two types of people in the world, my friend. Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

#5 of 27 OFFLINE   Bob Cashill

Bob Cashill

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted March 23 2014 - 05:45 AM

Donen. :) Sidney Dolan did my taxes. Donen and his longtime partner Elaine May are trying to get a new movie off the ground.

#6 of 27 OFFLINE   Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad

Supporting Actor

• 545 posts

Posted March 23 2014 - 09:20 AM

I had a major crush on Michelle Johnson when this movie came out (what 20 year old male wouldn't?). So yes, I would get this Blu-ray in a heartbeat.

Funny how the tables turn and I would now be Michael Caine's age rather than Michelle's at the time. Gives viewing a different perspective.

Edit: I had no idea this movie was directed by Stanley Dolan, who also directed Singin' in the Rain, On the Town, Seven Brides for seven Brothers, etc., etc. You learn something new every day.

Brad here.  I can definitely relate as I was a early 20-something just out of the USMC and in my freshman year at Kent when this movie came out.  Funny too how I can relate to Michael Caine's character as I moved into my early 30s.  Not to be conceited but I had a few, well several actually, teen crushes to deal with in those days (I was engaged/married to my first girlfriend/wife back then).  Guess being a US military cadet/officer with boyish looks (as I was told frequently) had its ups.  And its downs as I had to turn away each one (doing a better job than Michael Caine did).

But enough of this .   I'll bring this one up to Nick Redman's attention (if you're reading this Nick, they you know we'd love a Twilight Time blu release of Blame It On Rio).  I do continue to wonder why no blu release yet or why MGM never released this in blu themselves. 

I am tempted to buy (I hate to rent) the HD version on Amazon and see how well they did the HD transfer.  Like I mentioned before, I've already had one HD Amazon instant that wasn't so HD (Way Way Out, 1966) though better than any previous release.  But I've also had one which wasn't bad, though the movie itself was a real snoozer (Sleeping Beauty 2012 and I don't mean the Disney version).

• Cinescott likes this

#7 of 27 OFFLINE   Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,455 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted March 23 2014 - 10:52 AM

I'm in for this one as well!

#8 of 27 OFFLINE   Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad

Supporting Actor

• 545 posts

Posted March 23 2014 - 11:37 AM

OK, I just posted a request for Blame It on Rio on Twilight Time's FB page.  Lets see what Nick Redman says.

• Brian McP and Cinescott like this

#9 of 27 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,160 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted March 23 2014 - 11:55 AM

I watched this for the first time a month or so ago and thought it was quite bad outside of you know what.  With that said, if ANY studio can get Caine to talk about the picture then I'll buy two copies.  :)

#10 of 27 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,906 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted March 23 2014 - 12:16 PM

I wonder if she'd give Michael Caine a second look today. 

Coincidence, just watched The Big Bus (1976) this morning, what a hoot!, and thought about BioR.  Joseph Bolongna (what a name!) drives the bus.  Such a likable actor.  

Put me down for a blu ray upgrade.  Should be gorgeous in all respects. 

Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#11 of 27 OFFLINE   vidiot33

vidiot33

Stunt Coordinator

• 111 posts

Posted March 23 2014 - 05:27 PM

I actually enjoyed this movie (and not just the T@A). I thought it was clever, funny and engaging - a real sleeper

#12 of 27 OFFLINE   Brian McP

Brian McP

Second Unit

• 411 posts

Posted March 23 2014 - 07:30 PM

This movie was in turbo mode on my first vcr in 1984 (believe me, it was indeed the 'go to movie' for many in the early years of video - even here in Australia) and yes, a great cast and director -- but I have to say, I saw it many times and never found it that funny -- these days, many people would find it more than a little creepy (as they would another movie from the year before "Class"), but that's my opinion.

It is interesting to note that Michelle Johnson, in recent years, ended up marrying a guy who was 20 years younger than herself....I wonder if this guy.....never mind.

But, yes -- the fanbase for this movie is certainly there and certainly a worthy candidate for a special edition bluray.

#13 of 27 OFFLINE   larryKR

larryKR

Stunt Coordinator

• 92 posts

Posted March 23 2014 - 08:17 PM

Blame It On Rio (1984) is a remake of a French film from the seventies that I only saw once and can't remember the name of. What I do remember is that the French film was considerably better than the remake.

• schan1269 likes this

#14 of 27 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,486 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted March 23 2014 - 10:51 PM

This movie is a snore. Of course, I'm partial to Swedish, French and Spanish. And yes, I know my taste is out there. I'm waiting for an American remake of Q starring Scarlett, Jennifer, Amy and Rachel...

#15 of 27 OFFLINE   bruceames

bruceames

Second Unit

• 456 posts

Posted March 24 2014 - 02:29 PM

The topless scenes and a young Demi Moore do sound very appealing (I haven't seen this movie for some reason), but having two  fathers  fall for each others daughters, rates a little too high on the creepiness scale for me.

#16 of 27 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,486 posts

Posted March 24 2014 - 03:34 PM

The topless scenes and a young Demi Moore do sound very appealing (I haven't seen this movie for some reason), but having two fathers fall for each others daughters, rates a little too high on the creepiness scale for me.

Only one daddy/daughter...

Guess you won't like Adore either...

#17 of 27 OFFLINE   bruceames

bruceames

Second Unit

• 456 posts

Posted March 24 2014 - 04:07 PM

Only one daddy/daughter... Guess you won't like Adore either...

Probably not.  Guess we all have our limits on what we feel comfortable watching (unless you're not supposed to feel comfortable watching it, but that's a different type of movie).

#18 of 27 OFFLINE   Louis Letizia

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor

• 820 posts

Posted March 24 2014 - 05:30 PM

The French film this was based on was One Wild Moment from director Claude Berri and starring Victor Lanoux of Cousin, Cousine fame. TriviA of the day here, Joseph Bologna starred in 2 1984 films based on French films ( the other was The Woman in Red based on Pardon Mon Affaire). But, he also played roles in the remakes that were originally played by French actor Lanoux in the originals . Ironically he didn't star in the remake of Lanouxs most famous role in Cousin Cousine, that went to Ted Danson in the remake.
Blame it on Rio seems destined for Shout Factory where it would make a great double feature with Summer Lovers, another sex comedy filmed in an exotic locale.
Blame it on Rio is nicely crafted fluff. Valerie Harper was great in one of her few big screen roles. Demi Moore was nearly non existent and bombed with both this and No Small Affair in 1984.
Bologna had a cute movie called Mixed Company that will probably wind up on one of Shouts 4 film packs. Still waiting for Paramounts Bluaray double feature of Airplane!/The Big Bus

#19 of 27 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,486 posts

Posted March 24 2014 - 05:53 PM

Speaking of which, where is Summer Lovers on Blu?

#20 of 27 OFFLINE   Brian McP

Brian McP

Second Unit

• 411 posts

Posted March 24 2014 - 09:03 PM

"Summer Lovers".....another 'go to movie' of my youth (and early home video, from 1982) Great locations that would certainly look spectacular on bluray and the movie has a great soundtrack, but like "Blame It On Rio" and a lot of those comedies from the early 80s, they haven't aged too well.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Fox, MGM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users