What's new

Blame It On Rio (1984). Imagine Michelle Johnson and Demi Moore on Blu. (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Louis Letizia said:
Blame it on Rio is nicely crafted fluff. Valerie Harper was great in one of her few big screen roles. Demi Moore was nearly non existent and bombed with both this and No Small Affair in 1984.
I must admit that if, at that time, you had asked me who would become a big star: Michelle Johnson or Demi Moore, I wouldn't have said Demi Moore. Shows how much I know about career prospects in the movies!

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Louis Letizia said:
Blame it on Rio is nicely crafted fluff. Valerie Harper was great in one of her few big screen roles. Demi Moore was nearly non existent and bombed with both this and No Small Affair in 1984.
Bologna had a cute movie called Mixed Company that will probably wind up on one of Shouts 4 film packs. Still waiting for Paramounts Bluaray double feature of Airplane!/The Big Bus
I wouldn't say that Demi Moore bombed in her supporting role. IMHO she outperformed Michelle Johnson when it came to quality of acting. But of course we got to see a lot more of Michelle. It was in Ghost that Demi really began to shine.

She was definitely overshadowed though by Joe Bologna and Michael Caine though.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Brian McP said:
"Summer Lovers".....another 'go to movie' of my youth (and early home video, from 1982) Great locations that would certainly look spectacular on bluray and the movie has a great soundtrack, but like "Blame It On Rio" and a lot of those comedies from the early 80s, they haven't aged too well.
Brad here. I just put up the Summer Lovers thread. Feel free to comment.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
The actress was 17 when the movie was filmed including her nude scenes. I don't know, it really did seem as if Caine was uneasy with EVERYTHING in the movie. I don't think it was a "performance" but him just knowing he was doing this with a 17-year-old girl.

I think most people would have taken this subject and made it a drama. The fact that it was a comedy means it could only come from the 1980's.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Michael Elliott said:
The actress was 17 when the movie was filmed including her nude scenes. I don't know, it really did seem as if Caine was uneasy with EVERYTHING in the movie. I don't think it was a "performance" but him just knowing he was doing this with a 17-year-old girl.

I think most people would have taken this subject and made it a drama. The fact that it was a comedy means it could only come from the 1980's.
So I've read. That does kinda explains Michael Caine's underlying unease in his acting for this movie. Of course that is what the director might have been shooting for. I think the term "dirty old man" comes to mind. Anyway I keep looking and hoping for a Blu release.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Knowing that it came from Stanley Donen who produced and directed one of the best, most entertaining dramatic comedies ("dramadies" just doesn't seem an important enough term for this magnificent film) of all time with Two for the Road, Blame It on Rio was a tremendous disappointment to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks