What's new

Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 6 (Blu-ray) Available For Preorder (2 Viewers)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
51PNMkY1V8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

amzn_assoc_ad_type = "product_link"; amzn_assoc_tracking_id = "homethea02-20"; amzn_assoc_marketplace = "amazon"; amzn_assoc_region = "US"; amzn_assoc_placement = "B00IURL19Y"; amzn_assoc_asins = "B00IURL19Y"; amzn_assoc_show_border = true; amzn_assoc_link_opens_in_new_window = true;

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Wow. Pretty expensive.

I usually wait until the sets drop to the $50 or less price point.

So far, only seasons 1-3 have done that (which I currently own)

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I've stayed at the $60 and below threshold and have all the one's released so far. I suspect that Amazon will get down to that point with this title as well before release. I'm sure there is no reason all won't be $50 or below at some point. That starting price of $130 doesn't help though since it requires Amazon to discount it beyond 50%.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Ah, June 3 - that's a bit earlier than we were speculating over in the TNG season 5 thread.

With TNG, Amazon's prices have always fallen to $60 or below by the time of release. Enterprise, on the other hand, hasn't always been that low.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I originally was going to get the first 3 seasons and maybe the movie version of TBOBW and call it a day. Then season 4 showed up for under $60, so I then I thought I'd get the movie of Redemption and stop with season 4. After getting season 5 for under $60, it was clear that I had been kidding myself about stopping and that I was on a trajectory to get the whole show.

However, $100 a season is too steep for me at this time.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
59.99 is my price point for TNG. At that price it's $2.30 an episode, and a "mini-marathon" of 3 episodes, which is longer than many movies, is less than 7 bucks. For a new release, that seems like a good deal. And about 70% of Star Trek episodes have replay value for me. Plus the VAM is always pretty good. Looking forward to this!

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
David_B_K said:
However, $100 a season is too steep for me at this time.
Each season of TNG and ENT on BD has come down to $59.99 either on release week or sometime in the following three or four months. I preordered mine through Amazon (all seasons aside from TNG S1) and never had a problem getting the price adjusted.

For the record, I agree with you on the price point. It's ridiculous.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
regardless of shows no mattter how rabid of a fan i am i'd like to be under $1 per 43min episode when possible... hoping these drop under $30 5-10yrs from now :)

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
The money and labor that's going into this rebuild of Next Gen is orders of magnitude greater than for any other show that I'm aware of. As you probably know, Star Trek was shot on film, but then edited and put out on video. To get to the true and often stunning HD that they have here, they've had to get the original film elements out of a salt mine in Pennsylvania, ship them to California, rebuild each episode from scratch (sometimes redoing the fx), and then give it a new sound mix, etc. Plus each set has very good documentaries, commentary tracks, etc.

And so comparing this to other shows that cost $1 an hour isn't really fair imho. And the purchase of these sets sooner rather than later might even determine whether two other very good shows, DS9 and Voyager, get rebuilt too.

I encourage those who are "on the bubble" to buy these great sets!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I have to agree that while these sets are priced higher than other season sets (even the latest Game of Thrones season can be had for $30 upon release), the work that goes into them justifies the higher price. For years, we thought they'd never get transferred to HD - even after TOS was successfully done - because of how labor intensive it was.

That it has been done so exceptionally well - with, as noted, top notch bonus materials - is nothing short of sensational.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Game of thrones is a good comparison, in a way, because although the sets are cheaper there are only 10 episodes per season, compared to 26 for Star Trek.

The current amazon price on the third season of Thrones is $40, or $4 an episode, which is actually significantly higher than the price of an episode of Next Generation when the season set gets to $60.

Plus, for me anyway, Star Trek has more replay value than Game of Thrones.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
TOS was/is as close to $1 I think at the discounted rates. so I'm happy waiting. back when I was still single I would have sprung for it... but now that I'm married... my hobbies are extremely limited =P unless I hit jackpot lolz

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
As with all the other TNG BD sets, I'll be preordering at some point and have it on release day. These have been perhaps my favorite releases since I got into Blu-ray collecting... it's not my very favorite piece of content (though it's up there), but just that they look and sound better than I ever thought was possible, they're amazing to watch. It truly does feel like seeing them again for the first time, and that's really special.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Ronald Epstein said:
Wow. Pretty expensive.

I usually wait until the sets drop to the $50 or less price point.

So far, only seasons 1-3 have done that (which I currently own)
Your wish is their command!

S1 is now $31.49 (and they've even cut the msrp from $129 to $76).

S2, S3, S4, and S5 are now all $45.99.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Josh Steinberg said:
As with all the other TNG BD sets, I'll be preordering at some point and have it on release day. These have been perhaps my favorite releases since I got into Blu-ray collecting... it's not my very favorite piece of content (though it's up there), but just that they look and sound better than I ever thought was possible, they're amazing to watch. It truly does feel like seeing them again for the first time, and that's really special.
Ronald Epstein said:
Wow.

Thanks for this. Will purchase Seasons 4 and 5 today.
Those are two of the best seasons. The sixth season, which is coming up, is also very strong. But, unfortunately, they took something of a fall the last season. The final episode "movie" All Good Things is possibly the best episode of the whole run, but before that....

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Josh Steinberg said:
Yes. The SD to HD comparisons created by Trekcore.com make a compelling case:

Lee Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lee F. Smith
I was only going to upgrade Season 3. But I enjoyed it so much that I have bought Season 4 and will buy Seasons. 5 & 6.

I hope that "All Good Things..." will be the separate movie release for Season 7 so that I can buy it and not the rest of the season.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I also don't mind $60 for a TNG season due to the much higher than usual amount of work required to release them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks