Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Netflix Picture Quality

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#61 of 75 bigshot

bigshot

Screenwriter

• 1,017 posts

Posted July 05 2014 - 11:44 PM

By the way, Dolby Digital Plus is able to deliver up to 15 discrete channels at 10 times the bitrate per channel than regular dolby. Many streaming services use this and it is MUCH better than the Dolby Digital you find on old DVDs.

#62 of 75 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,637 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted July 07 2014 - 08:50 AM

I'm keen to try this out. Please cite 1-3 specific examples which I compare to hear this difference!

"Sam, you are the biggest nutter we have here."

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#63 of 75 bigshot

bigshot

Screenwriter

• 1,017 posts

Posted July 09 2014 - 06:35 PM

First you have to have equipment that can decode it connected by HDMI. (I use Roku 3 and a Yamaha AV receiver that is DD+ capable. Older equipment won't be able to play it.) Go to the global audio settings for Roku and select surround sound. Then go to a major modern movie on Netflix streaming and pulldown the sound and subtitles menu until you find one that has DobyDigital+ 5:1 listed as an option. There are a lot of them.

http://investor.dolb...eleaseid=518214

#64 of 75 bigshot

bigshot

Screenwriter

• 1,017 posts

Posted July 09 2014 - 06:39 PM

Netflix sometimes refers to DD+ as "HD Sound", They have had it for the past several years.

#65 of 75 DaveF

DaveF

• 13,177 posts
  • LocationOne Loudoun, Ashburn, VA

Posted July 14 2014 - 04:15 PM

http://arstechnica.c...ercent-in-june/

Netflix pays Verizon money. Performance drops another 17%.

Well played, Verizon. Well played.

clapping_joker_batman_dark_knight.gif

• Sam Posten likes this

#66 of 75 Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,029 posts

Posted July 15 2014 - 08:52 PM

I realize the video in many cases is good but I totally hate Dolby Digital and I will avoid a blu-ray title if the only audio track is Dolby Digital and no lossless is offered.  Did I mention I totally hate Dolby Digital, rofl.

Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#67 of 75 renoldscott

renoldscott

Auditioning

• 2 posts
  • LocationUSA, New York City

Posted July 17 2014 - 02:02 AM

Dunno, I try to keep it to a minimum but it was deserved in this case.

I have learnt new thing from this topic. Thanks for share...

#68 of 75 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,637 posts

Posted July 17 2014 - 11:16 AM

Level three drops the blamehammer, once again, on Verizon:
http://blog.level3.c...ntal-mea-culpa/

Blog: Navesink.net - My Flickr Stream - Dolby Atmos Discussion Thread - Updates at Twitter - Join the HTF Flickr Pool

#69 of 75 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,637 posts

Posted July 17 2014 - 11:18 AM

First you have to have equipment that can decode it connected by HDMI. (I use Roku 3 and a Yamaha AV receiver that is DD+ capable. Older equipment won't be able to play it.) Go to the global audio settings for Roku and select surround sound. Then go to a major modern movie on Netflix streaming and pulldown the sound and subtitles menu until you find one that has DobyDigital+ 5:1 listed as an option. There are a lot of them.

http://investor.dolb...eleaseid=518214

Once again please give an EXACT EXAMPLE I can go to today to hear a Dolby Digital Plus track on a stream that is measurably better, or heck even subjectively better, than the identical track from a DVD or BluRay. Pick your favorite one!

#70 of 75 RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,150 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted July 17 2014 - 11:32 AM

Back to the main topic - Netflix has improved in PQ lately. I only see the crappy PQ at first, then it goes away and looks fine. Might have something to do with Comcast now offering 105 mbps. I don't have that speed but my usual 50mbps is now 70 to 80.

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#71 of 75 Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,029 posts

Posted July 19 2014 - 08:39 PM

What is the price for HD and Ultra HD from Netflix?  And what is the impression of the UHD quality from netflix so far?

Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#72 of 75 Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 15,637 posts

Posted July 21 2014 - 09:55 AM

Verizon: Nuh-uh! No you dint!
http://publicpolicy....esia-on-peering

#73 of 75 Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann

Supporting Actor

• 530 posts

Posted July 21 2014 - 10:06 AM

The more I read about streaming, observe my friends' sub standard Netflix etc. downloads and hear them gripe about expensive internet monthly fees, the more I'm glad that BDs aren't extinct...yet.

#74 of 75 Worth

Worth

Screenwriter

• 1,053 posts

Posted July 21 2014 - 10:55 AM

I find there's plenty of room for both. Netflix works very well for me - it's HD quality equals or surpasses broadcast HD, falling just below blu-ray. And at $8 per month, plus an additional $10 for unlimited internet, I get access to more movies than I could possibly watch for the price of a single disc.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

#75 of 75 Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,171 posts

Posted July 21 2014 - 11:01 AM

Back to the main topic - Netflix has improved in PQ lately. I only see the crappy PQ at first, then it goes away and looks fine. Might have something to do with Comcast now offering 105 mbps. I don't have that speed but my usual 50mbps is now 70 to 80.

I've noticed that with Netflix recently - just moved into Time Warner Cable territory and the last couple times I streamed from Netflix, it bounced around a few times at 480p and even lower (according to the info display on my player), but stabilized at 1080p by five minutes in, and once it hooked up at that level, stayed that way for the rest. Honestly I wish the player would just take an extra minute to buffer or something than have it start at low quality and go through a series of incremental improvements, but I try not to get too worked up over it (emphasis on "try").

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users