-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Sony off to a blazing start -- Over $1M sold in first 24hrs.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 Kevin Collins

Kevin Collins

Kevin Collins

• 1,953 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted November 18 2013 - 04:36 PM

Sony announced that the PS4 system sold through over 1M units in the first 24hours after it became available on 11/15/13. 

This actually makes the PS4 the fastest selling console in history.  The previous best seller was the Sega Dreamcast with 225, 132 consoles sold in the first 24 hours. 

Since the PS4 launched in 29 countries, it will likely keep the record as the XBox One will only be sold in 13 countries.

TechInsights estimates that the COG's for a PS4 are $296 and they sell it for $399.  At over $100 profit a console (not including games and accessories), that's a good chunk of change.

Amazing that previous game consoles sold at a loss for years, depending entirely on accessory and game sales to make up for the loss.

Who was one of those 1M PS4's?

Kevin Collins
To View My HD Collection Click Here

#2 of 5 Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,120 posts

Posted November 18 2013 - 05:52 PM

I bought one and I'm very happy with it so far.

In regards to the cost of parts, I believe most electronics (ahem, Apple) are sold at an even higher profit margin.  Nintendo is selling the Wii U at a minor loss (due to increased cost of including the tablet) but makes a profit once 1 game is sold with the hardware.  Not sure about Microsoft and the Xbox One.

#3 of 5 Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Producer

• 5,574 posts

Posted November 18 2013 - 06:30 PM

I picked up mine on Friday. The store where I got mine had pretty good demand.The salesman getting my order together mentioned that someone went into the stock set aside for preorders and was going to start selling them to walk-ins and had to be set straight. So far I've been satisfied with it.

"You bring a horse for me?" "Looks like......looks like we're shy of one horse." "No.......You brought two too many."

#4 of 5 mattCR

mattCR

Lead Actor

• 9,998 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted November 18 2013 - 06:57 PM

Title is wrong; they didn't sell $1M worth, they sold $1M units.

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#5 of 5 Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley

Lead Actor

• 8,120 posts

Posted November 19 2013 - 03:05 PM

You mean 1 million units, not $1 million units.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users