What's new

Sony off to a blazing start -- Over $1M sold in first 24hrs. (1 Viewer)

Kevin Collins

Former owner, from the first state with COVID-19
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins
Sony announced that the PS4 system sold through over 1M units in the first 24hours after it became available on 11/15/13.

This actually makes the PS4 the fastest selling console in history. The previous best seller was the Sega Dreamcast with 225, 132 consoles sold in the first 24 hours.

Since the PS4 launched in 29 countries, it will likely keep the record as the XBox One will only be sold in 13 countries.

TechInsights estimates that the COG's for a PS4 are $296 and they sell it for $399. At over $100 profit a console (not including games and accessories), that's a good chunk of change.

Amazing that previous game consoles sold at a loss for years, depending entirely on accessory and game sales to make up for the loss.

Who was one of those 1M PS4's?

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I bought one and I'm very happy with it so far.

In regards to the cost of parts, I believe most electronics (ahem, Apple) are sold at an even higher profit margin. Nintendo is selling the Wii U at a minor loss (due to increased cost of including the tablet) but makes a profit once 1 game is sold with the hardware. Not sure about Microsoft and the Xbox One.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I picked up mine on Friday. The store where I got mine had pretty good demand.The salesman getting my order together mentioned that someone went into the stock set aside for preorders and was going to start selling them to walk-ins and had to be set straight. So far I've been satisfied with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks