What's new

All Is Lost (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Robert Redford gives a great performance in this one man movie about a man, his sailboat and a string of terrible events. Expect an Oscar nominationThere is very little dialog but lots of visual flair in this very unique film. I saw with a friend who just got his sailing certification and he said the film is very accurate in its portrayal of sailing and how to cope with dire circumstances. I give it *** out of ****

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
It seems some people are beating the hell out of the "logic" in this film much like some are doing with GRAVITY. It's funny but both movies share a lot in common with just one being in space and the other out at sea.

I thought it was one of the year's best movies. I thought it was just an emotionally devastating picture that manages to have a lot of tension but also some really depressing moments. With that said, it's also quite inspirational. The cinematography, direction and music score were all flawless. As for Redford, this is certainly a wonderful performance and especially since he gets perhaps two lines of dialogue. This here is basically a silent movie so without the lines we're just basically seeing the character's emotions and fears from Redford's eyes. If there's not an Oscar-nomination I'd be shocked.

Tino, I'm interested in your opinion (as well as others as they see the film) on the ending:

It seems people are having mixed thoughts on what happens at the end. Some are making it out that Redford survives but others are seeing him "swimming to the top" as a reference to him dying and being "saved" ala a religious way. I know GRAVITY had people also debating what happens but here I really went with the dying. I think the film was so painfully brutal in watching this man die no matter what he did that it was only "fitting," in a very sad way, that he dies.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Michael Elliott said:
It seems some people are beating the hell out of the "logic" in this film much like some are doing with GRAVITY. It's funny but both movies share a lot in common with just one being in space and the other out at sea. I thought it was one of the year's best movies. I thought it was just an emotionally devastating picture that manages to have a lot of tension but also some really depressing moments. With that said, it's also quite inspirational. The cinematography, direction and music score were all flawless. As for Redford, this is certainly a wonderful performance and especially since he gets perhaps two lines of dialogue. This here is basically a silent movie so without the lines we're just basically seeing the character's emotions and fears from Redford's eyes. If there's not an Oscar-nomination I'd be shocked. Tino, I'm interested in your opinion (as well as others as they see the film) on the ending:
It seems people are having mixed thoughts on what happens at the end. Some are making it out that Redford survives but others are seeing him "swimming to the top" as a reference to him dying and being "saved" ala a religious way. I know GRAVITY had people also debating what happens but here I really went with the dying. I think the film was so painfully brutal in watching this man die no matter what he did that it was only "fitting," in a very sad way, that he dies.
Michael
I don't think he dies at the end as there is nothing IMO to suggest that other than viewers imaginations as was the case with Gravity. Sometimes what happens on screen is what actually happens. ;)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Apparently the director says
he dies
which might be where some of the talk started.

Everything went against him so it just seemed that even the fire went against him. He didn't have the energy to scream so I'm not sure he would have the energy to sink so far in the ocean to then be able to swim up.

With that said, the majority of the people leaving the theater today seemed to agree with you.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Do you have s link to the director saying that?

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Michael Elliott said:
It seems some people are beating the hell out of the "logic" in this film much like some are doing with GRAVITY. It's funny but both movies share a lot in common with just one being in space and the other out at sea.

I thought it was one of the year's best movies. I thought it was just an emotionally devastating picture that manages to have a lot of tension but also some really depressing moments. With that said, it's also quite inspirational. The cinematography, direction and music score were all flawless. As for Redford, this is certainly a wonderful performance and especially since he gets perhaps two lines of dialogue. This here is basically a silent movie so without the lines we're just basically seeing the character's emotions and fears from Redford's eyes. If there's not an Oscar-nomination I'd be shocked.

Tino, I'm interested in your opinion (as well as others as they see the film) on the ending:

Having just seen the film last night I would say that he doesn't die, as there is nothing else in the film to suggest he is religious, or has experienced any hallucinations prior to this. The film has been so utterly grounded in reality that having either an angelic hand reach out for him or the character experiencing visions doesn't fit with the rest of the picture. The interviews I've read with the director and star have been vague as to the ending, and that the film is about the journey.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I came here to ask the same thing that Michael asked.

I took the ending at face value -- he was saved by a person. The next day, I spoke to my sister who had also seen it the day before. When she questioned what I thought happened in the end, I related it simply as if "what else?" After I said it, I immediately realized the other interpretation of dying and going to heaven.

I find it hard to believe J.C. Chandor meant it to be ambiguous. In hindsight, the fade to white likely meant he died. Perhaps he thought it was clear. But I don't care -- I am a huge pessimist, but I still want to go with my initial reaction. :P

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Thanks for the link John. There were a couple good quotes in there from Redford.

I can't say I'm a religious nut "looking" to find a meaning in the film. It's funny but people always talk about not wanting to leave a movie depressed and that after the "abuse" someone takes, we need to take comfort in leaving the theater happy that they lived. I must say that my initial reaction was that he died because I really walked out of the theater depressed. Once I got to my car I then started thinking that perhaps he really did live and that the director wanted to send people home happy. Either way, I think the film works extremely well. From the opening bit of dialogue it seemed to set everything up that he died. Reading it in that link I and hearing what Redford had to say, it seems the "trying" and "not giving up" were the most important things and to me that's certainly where the inspiration of the movie came from.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I just saw this film and enjoyed it very much. Very similar to Gravity.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Wayne_j said:
I just saw this film and enjoyed it very much. Very similar to Gravity.
Never thought of it that way but youre right.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I just saw this and thought it was an amazing film. Robert Redford in a nearly silent role, but the show of emotions of his character reveal much about him over the course of the film. I predict an Oscar nomination for best actor in his future. Can't wait to get this on Blu-Ray....hopefully with audio commentary by Redford.
Grade-A

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Michael Elliott said:

Michael, I'm sure he is rescued due to the huge fire/distressalertingnearby ship. That is what I take from it anyway.However the other option is intriguing, as you do see a brightwhitelight when his hand reaches up to end the film.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I just noticed this had an estimated production budget of a meager $9 million, and as of the past week has made only about $5 mil.
Truly saddening. Redford is one of the greatest actors of our time. He isn't seen much in cinema these days( he hasn't made many films since Legal Eagles)in a fantastic role that is both an adventure story, and an introspective character study.....and it bombs!

I truly hope he gets a best actor Oscar so more people discover this quiet gem of a film.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Yeah this one here just didn't catch on and it really didn't get to expand much since the numbers were so low. This is why I get so pissed off when people bitch about remakes, sequels or "bad" movies. There are many great ones out there and people just don't go to them.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Bryan^H said:
I just noticed this had an estimated production budget of a meager $9 million, and as of the past week has made only about $5 mil.
Truly saddening. Redford is one of the greatest actors of our time. He isn't seen much in cinema these days( he hasn't made many films since Legal Eagles)in a fantastic role that is both an adventure story, and an introspective character study.....and it bombs!

I truly hope he gets a best actor Oscar so more people discover this quiet gem of a film.
Part of the problem is that it didn't play in very many theaters. It never played close to my local. Its BD release date is 02-11-18, which will be my opportunity to view it

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It will probably get one last push into theaters once the Oscar noms are announced. And Redford will get nominated. Count on it.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
SAG members didn't nominate him. That his own peers wouldn't recognize Redford's superb acting is baffling.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Its lack if appeal in the big markets kept it from going any wider. Not sure if the Oscar nomination is going to add too much business. Again, this just isn't the type of film that's going to appeal to many. Redford was in another good film tho year that didn't do too well. At work there was a "best of...." Thing done at work and I can't tell you how many people put GROWN UPS 2 as their favorite movie of the year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks