Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Cassandra Crossing / Domino Principle (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder

Shout Factory

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,258 posts

Posted October 24 2013 - 09:34 PM

61FyYdfA-5L._SX300_.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC

Screenwriter

• 1,922 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted October 25 2013 - 04:36 PM

I have the Artisan DVD of Cassandra Crossing - Shout's new BD should easily blow it out of the water. 

• ahollis likes this

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   Sumnernor

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor

• 831 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted October 26 2013 - 06:59 AM

One of my first DVDs  bought from Amazon-UK in 2001 was the Carlton  "The Cassandra Crossing". It was R2 Wide screen but was a window 4.3 with english subtiles. I highly recommend the movie. The BR will be a vast improvement in all ways.

One minor detail was the train is going from Geneva toward Basel it passed thru Visp (near Brig ) which is near the Matternhorn part of Switzerland which is far away from the route Geneva-Basel- I have found the part. From the helicopter. you see the Matterhorn and then the train going thru the station Visp going towards Brig but Basil is sort of North of Geneva not south east.

Edited by Sumnernor, October 26 2013 - 10:33 AM.

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,790 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted October 26 2013 - 08:27 AM

1976 was the year for Associated General Film . Not only did we get CASSANDRA CROSSING but also VOYAGE OF THE DAMNED and THE EAGLE HAS LANDED. I truly enjoyed each of those films in their own particular unique way. Will be getting CASSANDRA CROSSING. Zit hanks Shout.
"Get a director and a writer and leave them alone. That`s how the best pictures get made" - William "Wild Bill" Wellman

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,152 posts
  • LocationSunny Central Florida

Posted January 07 2014 - 11:04 AM

I just happened to see that THE CASSANDRA CROSSING was released on Blu-ray today. One of my favorites from long ago, I jumped at the chance back in 2001 to get this movie in disc format. Prior to that, all I'd had was a crappy VHS copy. The Artisan/Pioneer DVD was letterboxed 1.85:1 - just perfect for my old 32" SONY tube set of that era. Though the print was pretty bad, just the fact that I'd gotten a widescreen copy was a thrill.

Now the thought of a clean Blu-ray has me champing at the bit. There are no reviews posted yet, but I can't imagine it not being a big improvement.

Harry

My DVD Collection

A fugitive moves on, through anguished tunnels of time, down dim streets, into dark corners. And each new day offers fear and frustration, tastes of honey and hemlock. But if there is a hazard, there is also hope. - Closing narration to THE FUGITIVE, "Death Is The Door Prize".

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,204 posts

Posted January 07 2014 - 07:44 PM

I kinda liked CASSANDRA CROSSING but absolutely despised DOMINO PRINCIPLE. It was one of the few films for which I could not come up with a single redeeming quality (except for Gene Hackman, but even he was only mediocre, having to deal with a total crap script), and so-o-o wished I had used the three bucks or so for something more pleasurable. I suspect Shout! knew they had a loser, and so paired it with a decent movie for a fair price.

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,620 posts

Posted January 08 2014 - 06:11 AM

I kinda liked CASSANDRA CROSSING but absolutely despised DOMINO PRINCIPLE. It was one of the few films for which I could not come up with a single redeeming quality (except for Gene Hackman, but even he was only mediocre, having to deal with a total crap script), and so-o-o wished I had used the three bucks or so for something more pleasurable. I suspect Shout! knew they had a loser, and so paired it with a decent movie for a fair price.

Like ahollis, I just sort lump ALL those '75-'77 Associated General films into one big category of international-action movies with Gene Hackman, George Kennedy and Sophia Loren in them for foreign markets.  (For some reason "March or Die" sprang to mind, too.)

I was too young to see most of them anyway, so they fell into one big blur, and think Shout's treating them as the same bulk commodity.  Like the 80's titles on their Scream Factory line, only now with the ITC deal.

• ahollis likes this

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,152 posts

Posted January 08 2014 - 08:31 AM

I've never seen THE DOMINO PRINCIPLE, so it's just another disc that will probably sit unwatched maybe forever. This won't be the first two-fer that I bought for exclusively one movie.

Harry

My DVD Collection

A fugitive moves on, through anguished tunnels of time, down dim streets, into dark corners. And each new day offers fear and frustration, tastes of honey and hemlock. But if there is a hazard, there is also hope. - Closing narration to THE FUGITIVE, "Death Is The Door Prize".

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,152 posts

Posted January 09 2014 - 03:05 PM

My package arrived today with THE CASSANDRA CROSSING / THE DOMINO PRINCIPLE - and I hadn't realized that both movies were on the same disc - and that there are two discs, one Blu-ray and one DVD. When I saw the title, I just ordered it without delving into the details, so I thought the two discs were two Blu-rays, one for each movie. But this works out better, because we still have a lot of DVD players around.

And since my computer only does DVDs, I can upload a screen shot or three:

vlcsnap-2014-01-09-18h01m10s158.jpg

vlcsnap-2014-01-09-18h01m50s91.jpg

vlcsnap-2014-01-09-18h02m34s34.jpg

The Blu-ray looks even better than these, of course.

Harry

My DVD Collection

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   Worth

Worth

Screenwriter

• 1,159 posts

Posted January 10 2014 - 07:02 AM

Wait, is the image cropped, then? Cassandra Crossing is a 'scope film, but those caps look to be 16X9.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,152 posts

Posted January 10 2014 - 07:38 AM

Wait, is the image cropped, then? Cassandra Crossing is a 'scope film, but those caps look to be 16X9.

My old letterboxed Artisan DVD was 16:9 and so is the new Blu-ray and DVD. FWIW, IMDb lists it as a 1.85:1 film. (corrected)

Harry

My DVD Collection

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   ahollis

ahollis

Producer

• 5,790 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted January 10 2014 - 07:48 AM

The OAR for Cassandra Crossing is 1.85:1.

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   Worth

Worth

Screenwriter

• 1,159 posts

Posted January 10 2014 - 08:00 AM

I could have sworn this was 'scope, but I guess not.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Shout Factory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users