Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Captain Phillips quick review

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 of 30 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,063 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted October 05 2013 - 08:03 PM

A solid but not perfect effort. Still thus movie pins you to your seat, grabs you by the throat and doesn't let go. Some really great menacing performances

Solid A
  • Tino likes this
trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#2 of 30 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,263 posts

Posted October 07 2013 - 07:14 AM

Does it use the standard Greengrass shakycam?  I'd like to see it but I can't watch his Bourne movies due to the non-stop handheld camerawork!

Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#3 of 30 OFFLINE   mattCR

mattCR

Executive Producer

• 10,063 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted October 07 2013 - 07:25 AM

There is quite a bit of shakycam.  But not so much that I found it off putting. 

trakt.tv

Ask Me about HTPC! (Threads in HTPC / PMs always responded to)

This signature is povided by MediaBrowser 3 Trakt Plugin: Media Browser 3

#4 of 30 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,338 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted October 07 2013 - 09:09 AM

Thanks for the warning. I guess it's more the first person POV shots that really get me nauseous but I'll be sitting in the back of theater to stave off potential motion sickness. :)

#5 of 30 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,486 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted October 07 2013 - 09:26 AM

I'm on the fence because of A Hijacking.

Anybody seen both?

#6 of 30 OFFLINE   Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,822 posts

Posted October 07 2013 - 10:39 AM

I thought Captain Phillips was okay.  Good performances, although Hanks' accent drops out after the first twenty minutes.

Lots and lots of Greengrass shakey cam, to the point of making my friend at the screening nauseous at times.

Interesting story, but nothing earth shattering in the way it was made.

#7 of 30 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,263 posts

Posted October 07 2013 - 05:01 PM

I thought Captain Phillips was okay.  Good performances, although Hanks' accent drops out after the first twenty minutes.

Lots and lots of Greengrass shakey cam, to the point of making my friend at the screening nauseous at times.

Interesting story, but nothing earth shattering in the way it was made.

This is what I needed - thanks!  Looks like I'll wait for the Blu-ray to see it... :wacko:

Colin Jacobson

#8 of 30 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,636 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted October 11 2013 - 11:02 AM

I thought it was terrific and one of the years best. Suspenseful and exciting from start to finish with great performances from Hanks and the actors portraying the Somali pirates.

Wasn't distracted at all by the camerawork as I was too involved in what was happening to notice.

***1/2 * out of ****
  • Patrick_S likes this
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#9 of 30 OFFLINE   Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Producer

• 3,043 posts

Posted October 11 2013 - 02:50 PM

I agree with everything you wrote Tino and will add that it was well worth a trip to the theater.

#10 of 30 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,085 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 11 2013 - 03:06 PM

Yup, a very good film.  Also, I didn't think Hanks lost his accent as somebody mentioned earlier.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#11 of 30 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,263 posts

Posted October 13 2013 - 06:01 AM

I thought it was terrific and one of the years best. Suspenseful and exciting from start to finish with great performances from Hanks and the actors portraying the Somali pirates.

Wasn't distracted at all by the camerawork as I was too involved in what was happening to notice.

***1/2 * out of ****

For some of us, it's not a matter of aesthetics as it is nausea - I can't watch movies with super-shakycam because they literally make me sick!  I went to the second "Bourne" flick and "United 93" theatrically - neither sat well with my stomach, so unless Greengrass gives up on shakycam, I can't see his movies on the big-screen.  Doesn't make sense to pay $10 to watch something that I can't actually watch without intense discomfort...

Colin Jacobson

#12 of 30 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,636 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted October 13 2013 - 08:26 AM

For some of us, it's not a matter of aesthetics as it is nausea - I can't watch movies with super-shakycam because they literally make me sick!  I went to the second "Bourne" flick and "United 93" theatrically - neither sat well with my stomach, so unless Greengrass gives up on shakycam, I can't see his movies on the big-screen.  Doesn't make sense to pay $10 to watch something that I can't actually watch without intense discomfort...

I hear you Colin. "Shaky" cam doesn't bother me unless it's out of control and the only film that did that to me was Tony Scott's Man On Fire.

This film didn't seem anywhere near that and I would say it is the least shaky of all his films to me.
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#13 of 30 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,263 posts

Posted October 13 2013 - 10:15 AM

I hear you Colin. "Shaky" cam doesn't bother me unless it's out of control and the only film that did that to me was Tony Scott's Man On Fire.

This film didn't seem anywhere near that and I would say it is the least shaky of all his films to me.

Interesting - other comments made it sound like typical Greengrass camerawork.

Don't know what to believe, but I'll avoid the theatrical screening to be safe!

Colin Jacobson

#14 of 30 OFFLINE   Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,996 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia

Posted October 13 2013 - 12:39 PM

Captain Phillips was very well done. Hanks delivers a truly exceptional performance, hopefully reminding folks that he remains one of the best actors in the world.

The patented Greengrass cam didn't really bother me, but it hasn't in the past. He continues bring an immediacy to his films, and always examines his stories from unexpected angles.
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#15 of 30 OFFLINE   Dave Upton

Dave Upton

Owner

• 912 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted October 14 2013 - 05:51 AM

I thoroughly enjoyed this film, and was also struck by the apprehension of shaky cam prior to seeing it. Thankfully - most scenes are relatively stable, but there is a fair amount of it throughout the film. 

In terms of sheer suspense and character development, this was fantastic. The pirates and Hanks all truly embodied their characters perfectly.

4/5

#16 of 30 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,895 posts

Posted October 14 2013 - 01:06 PM

I also thought this film had some solid angles from a storytelling perspective to keep the flow of the film going with a brisk pace, while keeping the tension on high alert as Captain Phillips and his crew try to fend off Somalian boat pirates off the coast of Africa in 2009.  Tom Hanks delivers yet another fine performance as Capt. Phillips, trying to keep his men alive while sailing through treacherous waters with a boat moving lots of containers of "stuff".

Director Greengrass handles the characterizations on both sides deftly, the Somalian boat pirates and the crew on the ship.  While there is some shaky cam, when it's used, it's used to drive home the chaotic nature of certain scenes to amp up the drama and urgercy.  But I did not feel all that sea-sick from any of the shaky cam footage.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#17 of 30 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,539 posts

Posted October 16 2013 - 05:21 AM

My interest in seeing the movie is severely undercut by its apparent disconnect with reality:

http://nypost.com/20...illips-heroism/

#18 of 30 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 25,085 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted October 16 2013 - 08:53 AM

My interest in seeing the movie is severely undercut by its apparent disconnect with reality:

http://nypost.com/20...illips-heroism/

I don't care about what really happened, I care about being entertained which this film did for me.  These films about real events should always be taken with a grain of salt as I usually do more research for the real facts after viewing the film.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#19 of 30 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,486 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted October 16 2013 - 09:06 AM

Like I said before, and is still the reason I haven't seen this...

A Hijacking is a much more real movie(and its praise promotes that) even though it is totally made up.

Since Cpt. Phillips went after a "news story" and is taking liberties...it is getting blasted.

A Hijacking doesn't have that problem.

Because of that difference. Cpt. Phillips plays out based on what it wants our reactions to be. A Hijacking couldn't care less "about us", the only concern is the story.

Edit:

According to a couple of reviewers...A Hijacking has gone on to become required viewing for first time personnel aboard ocean freighters.

• gruagach likes this

#20 of 30 OFFLINE   Patrick_S

Patrick_S

Producer

• 3,043 posts

Posted October 16 2013 - 09:20 AM

With movies based on a true story I alway figure the truth is somewhere between what we see on the screen and news stories like the one linked.

I also look at news stories lie one linked with a skeptical eye. After all the people in the news story have 50 million reasons to tell "their" side of the story.

Anyways My view is like Robert's, I care about being entertained and this movie did that for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users