Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Panasonic AE8000 Projector - upscaling

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   RolandL

RolandL

Screenwriter

• 2,396 posts
  • LocationCromwell, CT

Posted September 30 2013 - 11:01 AM

So far, I have only watched Bu-ray discs on my Panansonic AE8000 front projector. But last night, I was at a Redbox kiosk and it did not have a Blu-ray disk of Ironman 3. So I picked up the DVD expecting it to look kind of soft blown up to a 138 inches wide image. To my surprise it looked really good! Not HD but pretty close. 

Roland Lataille
Cinerama web site

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,916 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted September 30 2013 - 11:06 AM

Glad to hear.  Have been waiting to see what the next model offers (9000?) in the way of improvement

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,068 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted September 30 2013 - 04:55 PM

DVD was an amazing leap for the time and only got better.  I watch anamorphic DVDs with no complaints at 120 inches.  I can tell obviously but many guests wouldn't.

It's devastatingly better than broadcast HD!

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,455 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted September 30 2013 - 07:33 PM

DVD was an amazing leap for the time and only got better. I watch anamorphic DVDs with no complaints at 120 inches. I can tell obviously but many guests wouldn't.

It's devastatingly better than broadcast HD!

And people call me snide...

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 17,068 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted October 01 2013 - 04:51 AM

I'm not sure I follow you, I am agreeing with your OP.  I think DVD was wonderfully over engineered and holds up well (when upscaled) against its successor.  My broadcast HD channels are MUCH softer than DVD.  Sometimes distractingly so.

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

映画ファン

• 5,027 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted October 01 2013 - 05:01 AM

I don't buy DVD anymore so i can only say that up to at least 2006, with just a few exceptions, DVD's were riddled with edge enhancement, this looks poor on a projection sized screen and even on a 60 inch screen the processed look is bad.

I suspect that DVD's made today and for the last few years probably have much less sharpening applied because they will be created from the HD masters used for the blu ray and thus new ones released today probably look very good on large screens.

HD broadcasts here in the UK are pretty good, i wouldn't call them soft, i'd call them natural, unsharpened, i like that look.

Edited by FoxyMulder, October 01 2013 - 05:09 AM.

:Fun Movie Quotes:

"A good body with a dull brain is as cheap as life itself"   

"Maybe it's a sheep dog... let's keep going" 

"Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some form of super carrot"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   rsmithjr

rsmithjr

Supporting Actor

• 859 posts
  • LocationPalo Alto, CA

Posted October 01 2013 - 05:40 AM

I was never very impressed with DVD.  The picture was a step up from LD, but the sound was often not as good. 

It is unfortunate so that so much energy went into DVD with so many titles likely to never see the blu light.

Blu-ray is fantastic and I am excited about 4K blu. 

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 14,455 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted October 01 2013 - 07:38 AM

I'm not sure I follow you, I am agreeing with your OP. I think DVD was wonderfully over engineered and holds up well (when upscaled) against its successor. My broadcast HD channels are MUCH softer than DVD. Sometimes distractingly so.

In my house, DVD is nowhere near HD broadcast. Not to trumpet Directv, again, but of all the pay services...they are closest to OTA.

I was watching the Colts game yesterday(101.7 miles from the antenna farm) and no way would DVD be that clear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users