What's new

Marantz MM7055 - Anyone using it with 4 ohm speakers? (1 Viewer)

jeffpell

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff Pell
I'm just curious if anyone is having any success with 4 ohm speakers using a Marantz mm7055 power amplifier. The manafacter claims that it will blow eventually. Is that just at extremely high levels?

I'm currently running a marantz sr7007 with monitor audio RX8s which run at 4 ohms, GXC150 which runs at 8 ohms, and RX1s which run at 6 ohms.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Most of the time, the issue with 4ohm is nothing more than misunderstanding gain...vs volume control. Technically not the same thing.Taking out class D amps(for home use), because they inherently are just plain unstable below 6...Any amplifier that does not list a 4ohm wattage rating basically is telling you..."I can only produce X amount of power". That amount of power has different levels of gain required to produce it.Ie...a given 100 watt amp at 8 means...At 4 it produces 100 at roughly 50% gain.At 6 it produces 100 at roughly 75% gain.At 8 it produces 100 at roughly 100% gain.At 16 it could produce 100 if it had 200% gain.Yes, there are 16ohm speakers(Zu Audio being one brand with a range of 12-18ohm)Therein lies the problem. People asking too much from the amplifier. With many amp/AVR makers, "you used 4ohm speakers" is just a warranty deny excuse.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks