Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Mary Poppins 50th Anniversary Blu-ray December 10th, 2013

Disney

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
460 replies to this topic

#121 of 461 OFFLINE   moviebuff75

moviebuff75

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, Indiana

Posted July 31 2013 - 02:35 AM

If Oz still has errors, then I hope the 3D version does fail.

Proud HTF Member Since: April, 2001

#122 of 461 OFFLINE   warnerbro

warnerbro

Stunt Coordinator

• 178 posts
  • LocationBurbank, California

Posted July 31 2013 - 07:48 AM

Personally, I always thought Dick Van Dyke's cockney dialect was great.  And the character he created is one I will always love.  He is a big part of my childhood.

• Mark Walker and Brian McP like this

#123 of 461 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,512 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted July 31 2013 - 08:04 AM

I have no more problem with Dick Van Dyke's accent than I do with the fact that Cherry Tree Lane is obviously an indoor set on a soundstage.  It's a fantasy set in that wonderfully unreal Fantasyland that was uniquely Disney.

"I've seen Paris, France and I've seen Paris, Paramount.  I prefer Paramount."  -- Ernst Lubitsch.

• Brian McP likes this

#124 of 461 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,078 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted July 31 2013 - 08:14 AM

I guess it's a question of how one's suspension of disbelief is formed while watching a movie, which also has a lot to do with one's background. As a child of English descent raised in Canada exposed on a near daily basis to various English accents (my parents have friends from all over the isle), I can accept the mixing of animation with live action, studio sets, etc. knowing the limitations of film at that time, but when you throw in a poorly done Cockney accent, it completely takes me out of the movie. Idiosyncratic, I guess, but a similar and somehow less jarring experience occurs when watching The Untouchables, Highlander (arguably the most ludicrous, with a Frenchman playing a Scotsman and a Scotsman playing a Spaniard), and some other films. Go figure.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#125 of 461 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,512 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted July 31 2013 - 08:27 AM

I guess it's a question of how one's suspension of disbelief is formed while watching a movie, which also has a lot to do with one's background. As a child of English descent raised in Canada exposed on a near daily basis to various English accents (my parents have friends from all over the isle), I can accept the mixing of animation with live action, studio sets, etc. knowing the limitations of film at that time, but when you throw in a poorly done Cockney accent, it completely takes me out of the movie. Idiosyncratic, I guess, but a similar and somehow less jarring experience occurs when watching The Untouchables, Highlander (arguably the most ludicrous, with a Frenchman playing a Scotsman and a Scotsman playing a Spaniard), and some other films. Go figure.

How does Audrey Hepburn's cockney accent in My Fair Lady strike your ears?   I love Audrey, but she's never been convincing to me as a Cockney, any more than Mr. Van Dyke.

#126 of 461 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 4,078 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted July 31 2013 - 08:30 AM

Fecking hate Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady. The movie is beautifully done (much like Mary Poppins), with an excellent cast apart from Ms. Hepburn, but again, it takes me out of the movie.

Edited by Stephen_J_H, July 31 2013 - 08:30 AM.

"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#127 of 461 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,469 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted July 31 2013 - 09:31 AM

I can understand.  I'm originally from Texas, and when I hear a fake twang or Southern drawl, it can take you out of the piece.  I love DVD, but man, his accent in this is something else!  But I still adore this movie!  And of course, Hollywood film history is filled with bad accents of one kind or another. 

Edited by JohnMor, July 31 2013 - 03:16 PM.

#128 of 461 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,577 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted July 31 2013 - 10:00 AM

I also would have preferred if Dick had just used his normal American accent. I think at that time before the real advent of "perfect accent" acting, when only actors like Brando were truly braving those waters, very few people would have noticed or cared. Especially us kids, but then again, us kids didn't notice how bad the accent was either!

(Streaming the great jazz radio station WDCB out of Chicago while reading this thread today and they played McCoy Tyner's rendition of "Chim Chim Cher-ee," a very welcome coincidence).

#129 of 461 OFFLINE   Everett Stallings

Everett Stallings

Second Unit

• 393 posts
  • LocationWilmington,De

Posted July 31 2013 - 10:17 AM

I have some very grave news about Bambi.

Was that "Bambi Meets Godzilla" ?.

Former projectionist @ all downtown theatres in Balto. City.Which are all closed. frown.gif

#130 of 461 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,575 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted July 31 2013 - 11:24 AM

Man, I haven't seen this movie in probably 30 years. Looking forward to it.

Interesting to note how great the top 4 moneymakers of that year were (from earlier in the thread: PoppinsSound of MusicMy Fair LadyGoldfinger).

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#131 of 461 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,869 posts

Posted July 31 2013 - 12:34 PM

Nice memory, but next time how about a friendly neighborhood SPOILER WARNING? Unilkely as it may seem, it's possible some folks reading this thread may never have seen the movie.

The HTF policy on this should always be to never assume everyone has seen everything and to always include a SPOILER warning. Rant over.

Think I'm uniquely qualified on that point, as I remember seeing the movie in the theaters with an audience that either had never seen it, or had developed amnesia in the last 7-10 years, and the ending wasn't a spoiler--
Now, the end-credits reveal of the actor playing Mr. Dawes Sr., or that

Spoiler
THAT knocked us for a loop without any warning.  You'd think we would've seen them  coming .  :)

Edited by Ejanss, July 31 2013 - 12:38 PM.

#132 of 461 OFFLINE   Dee Zee

Dee Zee

Stunt Coordinator

• 175 posts
  • LocationFalls Church VA, USA

Posted July 31 2013 - 05:34 PM

I was a 13 year old boy into rock and roll when I saw this in Chicago. I loved it and my sister and I played the soundtrack incessantly at home. The soundtrack album was issued on CD in 1989 and a 2 CD Special Edition Came out in 2004.

I have the 40th DVD which I recently watched with my 4 year granddaughter. She liked it but the DVD didn't look so good on my 60inch screen. So looking forward to this release as well as The Sword and the Stone coming soon.

#133 of 461 OFFLINE   classicmovieguy

classicmovieguy

Screenwriter

• 1,892 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted July 31 2013 - 09:31 PM

The only "Poppins" soundtrack on CD that I have is this one... not sure if it's the 1989 edition but I bought it around 1993-94 if memory serves...

img6301.jpg

Plus I picked up this CD a couple of years ago as a "cut-out"... It was part of a short-lived series of vintage Disney reissues...

img630.jpg

"When I get a little money, I buy movies.  If there is some left over I'll attend to utilities and groceries".

My DVD and Blu-ray collection - http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/

#134 of 461 OFFLINE   warnerbro

warnerbro

Stunt Coordinator

• 178 posts
  • LocationBurbank, California

Posted August 01 2013 - 10:21 AM

I think that's what makes MARY POPPINS so endearing:  it's the beautiful fantasy world that is I want to visit over and over again.  It's the way I'd love the world to be.  It's one long beautiful painting accompanied by haunting music.

• BBbrowd likes this

#135 of 461 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,575 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted August 01 2013 - 10:33 AM

Louis Prima sings Mary Poppins?!?!?!

The Greatest! :D

"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

#136 of 461 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,869 posts

Posted August 01 2013 - 10:56 AM

Just as long as Julie Andrews doesn't sing "I Wanna Be Like You".   :lol: 

#137 of 461 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,228 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted August 01 2013 - 11:14 AM

That album is a pisser.  It is exactly what you think it would be.  It fails to disappoint.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#138 of 461 OFFLINE   Jonathan Burk

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit

• 453 posts
  • LocationCastaic, CA

Posted August 01 2013 - 12:11 PM

This should bring back some memories for all you fellow members of the "original Disney VHS" club:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=eKToXPEFn7k

• Suzanne.S and classicmovieguy like this

#139 of 461 OFFLINE   Gary Seven

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah

• 1,468 posts
  • LocationLake Worth, Florida

Posted August 01 2013 - 12:14 PM

This is the album I had as a kid...

2617778.jpg

Look forward to the Blu Ray

• Brian McP likes this

#140 of 461 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,305 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted August 01 2013 - 01:22 PM

POPULAR

Personally I'd love to see a movie where every character has the Van Dyke Cockney Accent™. ;)

Edited by Brandon Conway, August 01 2013 - 01:22 PM.

• Brian McP, warnerbro and John Maher_289910 like this

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Disney

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users