What's new

Mary Poppins 50th Anniversary Blu-ray December 10th, 2013 (1 Viewer)

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i really like this movie, but i didnt realize it was that popular with so many others.

it would not surprise me to find out that a lot of people have not seen this movie, though - depending on their age.

i have seen it several times, but i dont think i saw it when it originally came out ?

a possible suggestion ? this was a thread started by an owner to let us know that the movie was being released on blu-ray.

so a person who has not seen the movie, might still want to come over to read about what everyone else thinks about the release.

maybe even a separate forum "talk about movies and tv shows" where the purpose is to discuss the actual show.

i spend most of my time over on "tv shows" forum. i started a thread about leave it to beaver. i think anyone going on to that thread is gonna assume that there will be talk about the actual show.

on the other hand, if a new litb was released, and that was the title of the thread, i think it would be best not to discuss specifics about the show, but rather about the release ?

just my 2 cents.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
jimmyjet said:
i really like this movie, but i didnt realize it was that popular with so many others.
Awards and Nominations for Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins on Rotten Tomatoes

From Wikipedia:
Reception
Mary Poppins was the #1 moneymaker of 1965, earning a net profit of $28.5 million.[19][20]The Sound of Music was #2 with $20 million; Goldfinger was #3 at $19.7 million; and My Fair Lady was #4 at $19 million. The film also received universal acclaim by film critics, and holds a 100% "Certified Fresh" rating on Rotten Tomatoes.[19]
The film was re-released theatrically in 1973 and earned an estimated $9 million in North American rentals.[21]
Critic Drew Casper summarized the impact of Mary Poppins in 2011: "Disney was the leader, his musical fantasies mixing animation and truly marvelous f/x with real-life action for children and the child in the adult. Mary Poppins (1964) was his plum. ... the story was elemental, even trite. But utmost sophistication (the chimney pot sequence crisply cut by Oscared "Cotton" Warburton) and high-level invention (a tea party on the ceiling, a staircase of black smoke to the city's top) characterized its handling."[22]

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
jimmyjet said:

it would not surprise me to find out that a lot of people have not seen this movie, though - depending on their age.

i have seen it several times, but i dont think i saw it when it originally came out ?

a possible suggestion ? this was a thread started by an owner to let us know that the movie was being released on blu-ray.

so a person who has not seen the movie, might still want to come over to read about what everyone else thinks about the release.

maybe even a separate forum "talk about movies and tv shows" where the purpose is to discuss the actual show.

i spend most of my time over on "tv shows" forum. i started a thread about leave it to beaver. i think anyone going on to that thread is gonna assume that there will be talk about the actual show.

on the other hand, if a new litb was released, and that was the title of the thread, i think it would be best not to discuss specifics about the show, but rather about the release ?

just my 2 cents.
A movie with an accumulated half-century of seeping into pop culture and the public consciousness as a multi-Oscar winner and having been remade into a highly successful Broadway stage musical is inevitably going to be discussed in THIS thread ad infinatum...anybody who clicks onto it and complains about spoilers has been living under a rock for decades, frankly!!! :P

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Gutierrez
haineshisway said:
Does that look like 1.66 to anyone? Just asking.
I tested with the Mary cap, and cropped out everything but the actual image. It measured 1.75:1, which would be consistent with Disney press books from the 1960's and 1970's. The poster of that list didn't have information for the 1964 original run, but acquired a pressbook for the 1973 re-release, which also used the 1.75:1 ratio.

MaryPoppinsCropped.jpg

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
To "Lukejosephchung," and everyone else who seems to anonymously reign superior to those of us who request a small bit of common courtesy in this forum, thank you for reinforcing the impression that HTF is getting increasingly ruder and abrasive. Not unexpected for an online forum, but sad just the same. After sampling several forums for the past 10 years, I figured HTF would be my last stop, but immature, uncivil behavior now seems to have penetrated this one as well and it's only been growing despite the admirable moderation. So please feel free to spoil every movie ever made and add to the frat boys club so many here seem to enjoy.

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i havent changed my opinion on spoilers, but i am not gonna say any more on that topic.

i guess we all have various reasons why a show appeals to us. but i tend to like movies and tv shows that have a good message behind it. i think that is the most important thing for me.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Love this film!. I typically watch it around Thanksgiving along with My Fair Lady and The Sound of Music. This is the last of the three to come to Blu, but the MFL needs to be re-done on Blu-ray.

Now if they could just get Bedknobs and Broomsticks out before Halloween. (Not a chance, I know.)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Professor Echo said:
To "Lukejosephchung," and everyone else who seems to anonymously reign superior to those of us who request a small bit of common courtesy in this forum, thank you for reinforcing the impression that HTF is getting increasingly ruder and abrasive. Not unexpected for an online forum, but sad just the same.After sampling several forums for the past 10 years, I figured HTF would be my last stop, but immature, uncivil behavior now seems to have penetrated this one as well and it's only been growing despite the admirable moderation. So please feel free to spoil every movie ever made and add to the frat boys club so many here seem to enjoy.
Who reigned superior? Some people disagreed with you on this film, and joke "spoilered" famous old movies, but no one talked down to you I don't think. At least not labelling you "immature", "uncivil" or part of a "frat boys club" ("nice" way of saying "bunch of idiots" but that would get you a warning I think) or tell you to "bow out" and that you're "not welcome here".

I think in this case, the story wasn't spoilered because it didn't seem like a "spoiler" at all. It's not like it was a big twist plot point to a mystery movie or anything. I mean, Fox spoil the twist of Planet of the Apes on the DVD cover art pretty regularly, you're getting this twisted over Mary Poppins? I think nearly every release trailer for the DVDs showed here flying off at some point...

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Sorry Prof. Echo. I can't agree with you on that one. I've been a member since the forum passed the 1000 member mark. Since we've grown in membership, of course there will be a bit more behavioral issues, but this thread isn't one of them.

You are the one namecalling here, as Russell points out. You are trying to enforce that people not discuss plot points of a 50 year old movie. Clearly the thought of ANY spoiler for ANY movie of ANY age does not appeal to you. I am afraid I may have to suggest that movie forums in general are not the right place for you. Because guess what we do here?

Discuss movies.

And while we do use spoiler tag for new/recent films, we aren't going to put spoiler tags on discussions of classic films. The whole Movie and DVD/Blu-Ray sub-forums would be one big spoiler tag.

Please don't presume to talk down to our current membership by implying that HTF was better in the old days and now it's uncivil. Having been here since the old days, I have news for you: we discussed classic movies without spoilers back then as well. So this Golden Age of HTF to which you are referring, where we were completely civil and spoiler tagged every movie discussion, simply did not exist.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
All right everyone, stop it, please.

We are not going to create and impose rules for putting spoilers into
threads.

I do understand how a member who hasn't seen a particular classic
film may be put off by seeing a spoiler....

....but I myself have openly talked about classic films with spoilers
simply because, like everyone else, I presume everyone has seen it.

As a courtesy should everyone put plot points in spoilers? Yes, good idea.
However, are we going to force everyone to do it? No.

We just don't want our members arguing over it because we do try to
maintain more civility here than most other sites do.

Everyone move on. I don't want to see this argument continue.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Time to get back on track.

Lets continue to discuss the upcoming release and not the question of when there's a need for spoilers. The former is so much more interesting than the latter.

Personally, I think it would be hard to find people who haven't seen Mary Poppins at some point in their lives. And while, of course, there are those who haven't, I would have to believe a population of members of a board dedicated to home theater with a great love of film would make that likelihood even smaller. As Luke notes, Mary Poppins is a pop culture touchstone.

So let's concentrate on the upcoming HD release of this incredibly popular beloved film.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
This thread regrettably has been mainly sidetracked into an argument on spoilers, please let's get back to "Mary Poppins".

I was hoping my time consuming 35mm scans would lead to open debate on the film itself and what we can or might expect with the new Blu-ray.

Thanks for the ratio info Albert. That's a very interesting and handy listing.

Doug.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
I agree with some of what you say, Russell, but it was a long, frustrating day and the last thing I needed was a debate and/or argument about what I thought was a simple and polite request for common courtesy. It seems symptomatic of subtle, but no less pervasive pattern on HTF where others appear to be reveling in bouts of humiliating others. I really don't want to see this increase on HTF as I have witnessed in other forums. Anyway, I do agree that I overreacted, but I am passionate about seeing movies without having major points of them revealed beforehand. It's no fun having to avoid each and every thread just because someone may potentially and cavalierly spill the beans. Really, is it so hard to type one single word? Apparently, it is.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This stops here.

No further discussion on the spoiler issue.
Professor Echo said:
It's no fun having to avoid each and every thread just because someone may potentially and cavalierly spill the beans. Really, is it so hard to type one single word? Apparently, it is.
It is more a point of people having to stop and think about each line they post about a film (in this case an incredibly popular 50 year old film) to decide whether someone might be tipped off to a plot point. As you can read above from an owner, an administrator and fellow members, this particular point of conversation is over. Continue it in this thread at your own risk.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Agree, let's all get back on track. Clean slate. I too am very curious as to what aspect ratio this Blu-ray will have - the 40th and 45th Anniversary packages were hotly-debated in this respect, and no doubt we'll have a similar dissection on the Blu-ray.

Also, those 2 DVDs, I believe, used a "Disney Home Theater" soundtrack mix which upset the purists. Hoping we'll have a choice with the Blu-ray.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Mike, I was typing and posting my post as Ron was posting his. I didn't see his post until after I posted mine. It was not done to intentionally defy him. Anyway, finished and back on topic.

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter
Real Name
Luke J. Chung
This movie has been discussed by fans and critics alike for nearly half a century...I happen to be a big fan having grown up with it since the age of 7...it thrills me no end that it's finally receiving state-of-the-art restoration treatment from Disney after a long wait for it since the debut of the blu-ray format...I have every confidence that they will treat this with the respect and reverence it is due. As for the brief spoilers dust-up...apologies if I offended anybody here at HTF as that was NEVER my intent!!! :wave-hello:

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Gutierrez
Doug Bull said:
Thanks for the ratio info Albert. That's a very interesting and handy listing.

Doug.
No problem, Doug. :)Hopefully someone at Disney Home Entertainment has seen that list, and we'll actually have some proper aspect ratios on future live-action catalogue titles (if they ever get around to releasing any more...). Then again, if aspect ratio presentation has been problematic for Mary Poppins, one of their crown jewels, I doubt they'd go to the trouble of ensuring a "little" film like Toby Tyler gets shown in 1.75:1. Still, one can hope.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
As beloved as this film is in America, my English friend who works for the BFI in the UK says it's nothing but a joke in England. He claims it's due to Van Dyke's challenged accent. That's kind of sad as I think it's a great film and quintessentially representative of the Disney mix of light and dark, something that is not as profound in their films as it used to be.

BBbrowd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Professor Echo said:
As beloved as this film is in America, my English friend who works for the BFI in the UK says it's nothing but a joke in England. He claims it's due to Van Dyke's challenged accent. That's kind of sad as I think it's a great film and quintessentially representative of the Disney mix of light and dark, something that is not as profound in their films as it used to be.
I agree, Glen. I was just saying recently that I think it's a bit sad that Dick didn't do better with the accent because otherwise he was so charming and warm in the role. I wish he was remembered more for the heart of his performance instead of the accent. He was the perfect compliment to Julie. You truly believed that he dearly loved Mary Poppins.

I can't remember who said it, but I liked this... 'Harping on Dick Van Dyke's accent in "Mary Poppins" is like taking issue with the Cowardly Lion walking upright in "The Wizard of OZ".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.