460 replies to this topic

#1 of 461 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,952 posts

Posted July 29 2013 - 06:53 AM

Google ChromeScreenSnapz001.jpg

(Ad as appears in Home Media Magazine)

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

• Mark Walker and lukejosephchung like this

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 461 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,418 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted July 29 2013 - 06:57 AM

Yes!

Long-awaited, and I'm sure it will be one of the most analyzed transfers of all time.

It is certainly one of the greatest Disney films of all time.

Three cheers for the Sherman Brothers!

Thanks, Ron!

• Randy Korstick and Suzanne.S like this

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#3 of 461 OFFLINE   Escapay

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator

• 239 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Time and Space

Posted July 29 2013 - 07:02 AM

YAY!  This is one of my favorite Disney films of all time!  I'm buying this day-one for sure!

• Suzanne.S likes this

#4 of 461 OFFLINE   Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby

Supporting Actor

• 870 posts
  • LocationKent "The Garden of England", UK

Posted July 29 2013 - 07:13 AM

My favourite childhood film. A great Christmas present - thanks Disney.

#5 of 461 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

HTF Premium Member

• 3,201 posts

Posted July 29 2013 - 07:18 AM

One of my fave childhood films as well. Lots of memories for me, and I do believe this was the first movie that ever made me cry. :)

Please, please, PLEASE Disney, do this gem justice!!

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

#6 of 461 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,420 posts

Posted July 29 2013 - 07:34 AM

The sing-along bonus is now "Mary-Oke".  Yuk yuk.  :lol:

We weren't fooled for a second, and knew this would be coming out in tandem with Tom Hanks, we all just didn't know we'd hear about it so soon.

#7 of 461 OFFLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,214 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted July 29 2013 - 08:08 AM

I love the retro font used on this edition. I am hoping for the best on the HD audio. Also crossing my fingers they stick to the 1.66:1 aspect ratio.  

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 LG BD550 Region Free 
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#8 of 461 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,898 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted July 29 2013 - 08:16 AM

I'm in for this one provided the reviews are good.

#9 of 461 OFFLINE   Ejanss

Ejanss

Screenwriter

• 1,420 posts

Posted July 29 2013 - 08:31 AM

One of my fave childhood films as well. Lots of memories for me, and I do believe this was the first movie that ever made me cry. :)

Lemme guess:  Mr. Banks on his way to being dishonorably de-banked?   :)

Spoiler

(Proof that arranger Irwin Kostal, as in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Charlotte's Web, could turn a good Sherman Bros. song into a Great one.)

#10 of 461 OFFLINE   dpippel

dpippel

HTF Premium Member

• 3,201 posts

Posted July 29 2013 - 08:44 AM

Nope. I was 6 when I saw this during it's theatrical release, and actually teared-up at the close when Mary flew off and Bert said "Goodbye Mary Poppins. Don't stay away too long." I just didn't want the story to end. ;)

Edited by dpippel, July 29 2013 - 08:46 AM.

Careful man, there's a beverage here!

#11 of 461 OFFLINE   bryan4999

bryan4999

Second Unit

• 475 posts

Posted July 29 2013 - 08:48 AM

I am thrilled but trying not to get my hopes up too high. I have very high expectations for this and the higher the expectation the harder the fall if it's not perfect. And in this case practically perfect is not perfect enough! :)

#12 of 461 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,378 posts

Posted July 29 2013 - 09:13 AM

I wonder if they're going to digitally re-compose any of the animated process shots-- hoping to avoid any translucent squirrels scampering around Bert's feet...

#13 of 461 ONLINE   trajan

trajan

Supporting Actor

• 745 posts

Posted July 29 2013 - 09:22 AM

I wonder if they're going to digitally re-compose any of the animated process shots-- hoping to avoid any translucent squirrels scampering around Bert's feet...

No not another STAR WARS!

#14 of 461 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,276 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted July 29 2013 - 09:47 AM

POPULAR

Why panic before anyone sees the release?  Seems such a waste of time.  There was no question when this was coming - canny marketing tie in with Saving Mr. Banks.  We're doing our bit, too, here in LA with a Kritzerland show (we do these once a month at The Federal in North Hollywood - the first Sunday of every month, we're about to celebrate three years!) and the November show is a Sherman Brothers show (our first Encore show - we did one two years ago).  Richard Sherman will be there and will sing something and we always have five great singers and one great guest star.  So, if you're in LA come on down and meet Richard and listen to all the Sherman Brothers' classics.

• Suzanne.S, Steve...O, Rob_Ray and 2 others like this

#15 of 461 OFFLINE   John Morgan

John Morgan

Supporting Actor

• 681 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted July 29 2013 - 10:38 AM

Although I am not the panicky type, there are instances when things can be fixed or changed at the last minute due to letters, emails, and yes, the internet. Films like the Hitchcock Blu-ray set, the Universal monsters set (DRACULA, in particular), The aspect ratio for SHANE have had improvements and changes made prior to release due to fan’s comments. I know most of these came about because of certain sequences from the restored versions showing up on YouTube beforehand, but at least some attempt was made to fix certain things.

My main worry is the MARY POPPINS soundtrack. I think the last version was good, but the previous version had that ghastly DISNEY HOME THEATER sound or some moniker like that and the reverb added was just horrible. It sounded like they rerecorded it in a large master bathroom. 

Of course, most problems we just can’t predict until we see the final results. There are infinite possibilities of doing something wrong. I am sure MARY POPPINS will be a challenge to the Blu-ray authoring and cleanup as there are so many analog effect shots of almost every type in this great classic. But I have high hopes and expectations.

Oh, and one more thing, was the Intermission in Mary Poppins for only foreign versions or did it play in the USA with an Intermission?

#16 of 461 OFFLINE   haineshisway

haineshisway

Screenwriter

• 2,276 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted July 29 2013 - 11:56 AM

It never had an intermission in the US.

#17 of 461 OFFLINE   Professor Echo

Professor Echo

Screenwriter

• 1,528 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted July 29 2013 - 12:10 PM

Nope. I was 6 when I saw this during it's theatrical release, and actually teared-up at the close when Mary flew off and Bert said "Goodbye Mary Poppins. Don't stay away too long." I just didn't want the story to end. ;)

Nice memory, but next time how about a friendly neighborhood SPOILER WARNING? Unilkely as it may seem, it's possible some folks reading this thread may never have seen the movie.

The HTF policy on this should always be to never assume everyone has seen everything and to always include a SPOILER warning. Rant over.

• Steve...O likes this

#18 of 461 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 9,898 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted July 29 2013 - 12:13 PM

POPULAR

If we're going to start spoiler tagging discussion of 50 year old films, we might as well not even bother discussing them.

• Suzanne.S, hndrsnsbks and fsu1974 like this

#19 of 461 OFFLINE   lukejosephchung

lukejosephchung

Screenwriter

• 1,201 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco, CA., USA

Posted July 29 2013 - 12:14 PM

I knew this would come out in time for the holidays in the US when Disney announced a similar street date in the Middle East for this...it's gonna be such fun to watch in HD...

Edited by lukejosephchung, July 29 2013 - 12:15 PM.

#20 of 461 OFFLINE   Escapay

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator

• 239 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Time and Space

Posted July 29 2013 - 12:38 PM

Oh, and one more thing, was the Intermission in Mary Poppins for only foreign versions or did it play in the USA with an Intermission?

Bruce already answered for the US.  On the 2004 documentary "A Musical Journey with Richard Sherman," he mentioned that some theatres (he surmises London) played with an intermission, taking place after "Stay Awake."  They even included a shot of the intermission card:

MaryPoppinsIntermission.JPG

Does anyone know if foreign versions also included an overture and exit music?  The main title music is sometimes billed as the Overture on some soundtracks, but I haven't come across any exit music.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Disney

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users