What's new

Looking for a new setup, must ship reasonably to Canada, ~$500 (1 Viewer)

picklehammer

Auditioning
Real Name
Tyler
Hi all,I am looking for something that satisfies the following criteria:-5.1 speaker system and receiver-Has 3+ composite inputs, I have a lot of older video game systems and a record player (I have the phono preamp already)-Supports HDMI in/out and 1080p-Blueray and DVD player that is a separate piece-Must be a site that ships to Canada (lots of good deals on Denon receivers on Newegg but none of them ship here) and at an affordable rateThese might be nice but are not required:-Wifi connectivity to computers for playing music or video-Front composite input for playing ipods using a composite to 1/8" stereo adaptor-VGA inputThese are not needed by any means, though would be acceptable if packaging them in is somehow still cheaper:-3d support-7.1My space has room for small or large speakers and space is not a concern - front left, front right, back left, and back right can be big. Center should ideally not be gigantic and fit in an average TV stand shelf. Sub can be any size.I have the following that will be hooked up to it:-Video games (SEGA Genesis, SEGA Dreamcast, Nintendo Entertainment System, Original XBOX - not all need to be hooked up at once, but it'd be nice to get a few in there)-Record player and preamp-Potentially a CD player and/or cassette deck-Phillips 42" LCD with HDMI in or LG 42" LED with HDMI in (we have one and are getting the other soon for free, just gotta sort out which goes where in the house)I have browsed around and I'm not interested in the Onkyo pack because it seems to have a fairly high rate of failure. I am open to the idea of refurbished units, buying HTiBs, buying separate speaker packs and receiver and player and such, etc. I like the Denon receivers I've seen but don't know how to get a good deal here in Canada.I would be open to the idea of a HTiB as long as it has a dedicated receiver that has lots of inputs and does 5.1, HDMI, and 1080p. I do not have a DVD player other than my game consoles and I do not have a blueray player.Thanks! My fiancee and I just moved into a new place and I'd love to be able to listen on something other than crappy built in tv speakers.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
You might have to either up your budget, or change your requirements....

Starting with 500 -- tried to find the speakers first...

5.1 speaker system:
Monoprice 9774 - $278.58

http://reviews.cnet.com/surround-speaker-systems/monoprice-9774/4505-7868_7-35512507.html

Looks like that was too good to be true - as the speakers were discontinued...they were a clone of the energy take 5 classics - Energy
being a Canadian company, I think you should be able to find them...

These will run you 378.00...

http://reviews.cnet.com/surround-speaker-systems/energy-take-classic-5/4505-7868_7-33310963.html

Cheapest system I could recommend would be that one - which would leave you 122 left...and with your requirements of:

[*]Blueray and DVD player that is a separate piece
[*] A receiver that has 3+ composite inputs
[/list]
Don't really see how you can get both a receiver and a blue ray player with only 122.....you may get close on finding a receiver for that, but not a receiver and a blue ray player..

If your budget can't change and your requirements remain the same - you may have to look into getting used gear..

sean1976

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean H
pipemare said:
Hi all,I am looking for something that satisfies the following criteria:-5.1 speaker system and receiver-Has 3+ composite inputs, I have a lot of older video game systems and a record player (I have the phono preamp already)-Supports HDMI in/out and 1080p-Blueray and DVD player that is a separate piece-Must be a site that ships to Canada (lots of good deals on Denon receivers on Newegg but none of them ship here) and at an affordable rateThese might be nice but are not required:-Wifi connectivity to computers for playing music or video-Front composite input for playing ipods using a composite to 1/8" stereo adaptor-VGA inputThese are not needed by any means, though would be acceptable if packaging them in is somehow still cheaper:-3d support-7.1My space has room for small or large speakers and space is not a concern - front left, front right, back left, and back right can be big. Center should ideally not be gigantic and fit in an average TV stand shelf. Sub can be any size.I have the following that will be hooked up to it:-Video games (SEGA Genesis, SEGA Dreamcast, Nintendo Entertainment System, Original XBOX - not all need to be hooked up at once, but it'd be nice to get a few in there)-Record player and preamp-Potentially a CD player and/or cassette deck-Phillips 42" LCD with HDMI in or LG 42" LED with HDMI in (we have one and are getting the other soon for free, just gotta sort out which goes where in the house)I have browsed around and I'm not interested in the Onkyo pack because it seems to have a fairly high rate of failure. I am open to the idea of refurbished units, buying HTiBs, buying separate speaker packs and receiver and player and such, etc. I like the Denon receivers I've seen but don't know how to get a good deal here in Canada.I would be open to the idea of a HTiB as long as it has a dedicated receiver that has lots of inputs and does 5.1, HDMI, and 1080p. I do not have a DVD player other than my game consoles and I do not have a blueray player.Thanks! My fiancee and I just moved into a new place and I'd love to be able to listen on something other than crappy built in tv speakers.
How about this promo - Fluance AVHTB 5.0 speaker setup - 250 with free shipping, and with their special promotion add a Harmon Kardon 5.1 Receiver for 99.00 ( 300 dollars off ) bringing you to 350 plus tax - this will still leave you 120 or so for a blue ray player. http://fluance.com/Contests_Promotions.eng.html
It should be noted though that the receiver doesn't have TrueHD or DTS - MA codecs, or 1080 upscaling. This might be a concern for your older legacy gaming systems - in that it won't look as good as a newer receiver. In addition, although it's 5.1, it's only 30 watts per channel, which kind of sucks unless you have super sensitive speakers ( which you won't get with the above, or within your price range ) ...
Maybe get the 250 w/ tax for the speakers and look for a used receiver on kijiji? I just sold my Denon 1913 ( great receiver last years model ) for 350 canadian - so with some looking I'm sure you can find a new 1713 that will fit in to your left over 220.00 .. Don't know where you live in Canada - but here's one for instance near toronto, 2010 model but I had one of these and it would suit your needs well
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-electronics-Denon-AVR590-5-1-Channel-Home-Theater-Receiver-with-1080p-HDMI-W0QQAdIdZ504954298
Offer him 150 and call it a day

If you're in Ontario I've had solid dealings with AVGEAR - Here's a new receiver on clearance, Yammy 5.1 for 170 http://www.avgearshop.com/home-audio-theatre-products/home-theatre-receivers/yamaha-rx-v371-hd-receiver.html

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks