Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

1776 playing in Santa Monica tomorrow

Sony Pictures

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#41 of 131 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,188 posts
  • LocationWest Hollywood, CA

Posted July 03 2013 - 11:15 PM

The screening was a great success - a large portion of the crowd were first time viewers as well! I don't think I ever remember the picture playing that well in a theater, and Peter was in fine form at the Q&A. It was the perfect way to start the holiday.

The American Cinematheque has made this into an annual tradition, so I'm giving you die-hards a years notice this time, Maybe we can even figure out something special to do if a bunch of people wanted to come in from out of town...

Until next year or Sony decides to let Grover Crisp's work commence...

Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#42 of 131 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,835 posts

Posted July 03 2013 - 11:18 PM

Happy to hear the screening was successful.I will have to make plans in advance to get outto Santa Monica next year. Very much want to meetPeter.Thanks, Moe, for the report.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#43 of 131 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,188 posts

Posted July 03 2013 - 11:19 PM

My pleasure Ron! We'd sure love to have the #1 East Coast fan there ;)

#44 of 131 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,198 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted July 04 2013 - 04:33 AM

I watched the DVD last night and thoroughly enjoyed it (like always). I did see the theatrical release (once) and can't remember if the movie was that brown in theaters as it is on the DVD. I thought I recalled Martha's dress in "He Plays the Violin" to be yellow rather than ivory, but I certainly could be wrong.

Anyway, the DVD is very sharp and upconverts nicely, but a Blu-ray would just hit the spot. PLEASE, Sony!

#45 of 131 OFFLINE   Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff

Screenwriter

• 2,081 posts

Posted July 04 2013 - 07:26 AM

"I wonder how long it's been since this had 3 showings in one evening on TV?"

It's also on Antenna TV, so that makes 4 showings -- but not really, because the Antenna version will be pan and scan and interrupted by commercials.

Edited by Joe Lugoff, July 04 2013 - 07:27 AM.

#46 of 131 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,264 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted July 04 2013 - 01:00 PM

I had my own viewing last night at my house...but neither Moe nor Peter Hunt showed up at my door!  :biggrin:

Just grand.  The best thing about this film is that it makes available--in a very accessible way to the audience--a great demonstration as to why the founding fathers got it right and so many of today's elected officials (at all levels of government) consistently get wrong.  Lyman Hall sums it all up quite nicely in his brief conversation with John Adams before changing Georgia's vote in favor of independence.  He quotes Edmund Burke's writings:

Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.

Today, it seems most elected officials believe that by bowing to the opinions of their constituents will ensure them re-election instead of doing what is actually best for them.  No polls.  No pandering.  Deliberation and tough decision-making are what's needed.  And that agonizing compromise to ensure that the Declaration passed Congress is something I can hardly imagine happening in today's Congress. 

A side note:  I had the treat a few years ago of seeing a stage production of 1776 in Troy, New York (at Russell Sage college) by the NYS Theater Institute.  I saw it a couple of times, in fact, as it was directed by none other than Ron Holgate--who played Richard Henry Lee in the film (and won a Tony for the role on Broadway)!  Holgate is a local boy who continues his work in the theater.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#47 of 131 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted July 04 2013 - 01:52 PM

I started it up last night in high definition on Vudu, but got interrupted.  I will finish it up this evening.  It's a very nice transfer of the director's cut (that is also available in HD from the iTunes Store.)

#48 of 131 ONLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,389 posts

Posted July 04 2013 - 08:18 PM

Until next year or Sony decides to let Grover Crisp's work commence... 

Hi Moe,

Thanks for all your updates in this thread.  Just to clarify, earlier posts in this thread made reference to a planned new commentary and to the intent to put everything back into the film, but the above suggests that Sony has not greenlit this project yet. So is it a case where Sony has given a tentative go ahead but not scheduled yet or is the entire project itself still under review?

Knowing the quality of work that Mr. Crisp and his team produces, it would be a shame to let this opportunity slip away.  Mr. Daniels is probably closer to 90 than 80 at this point and while he is still a vibrant working actor, these things are best done sooner rather than later. 

Thanks.

Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#49 of 131 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,188 posts

Posted July 04 2013 - 08:48 PM

The project was planned and begun, then cancelled due to Sonys change in strategy.There is no current forward motion

#50 of 131 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,264 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted July 04 2013 - 09:11 PM

“Don't put off until tomorrow that which you can do today.”

--Benjamin Franklin

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#51 of 131 OFFLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,798 posts

Posted July 04 2013 - 10:28 PM

If they do ever resume this project, are the Howard DaSilva TV introductions (which he did in character) available as a possible extra?

#52 of 131 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,188 posts

Posted July 05 2013 - 12:03 AM

Just getting the new cut and commentary together will be a pretty big deal, I don't know how much extra we'd get beyond that. 

#53 of 131 ONLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,389 posts

Posted July 05 2013 - 09:27 PM

Thanks, Moe.  That's discouraging to read (lack of forward motion).  I had hoped that the letter/e-mail campaign that Ron championed in another thread would have shown sufficient consumer demand to warrant moving ahead.

“Don't put off until tomorrow that which you can do today.”

--Benjamin Franklin

Amen. 

Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#54 of 131 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,188 posts

Posted July 06 2013 - 12:45 AM

I have a feeling the threshold for interest is vastly high.Doesn't mean we should stop writing and encouraging others to do same

#55 of 131 ONLINE   Charles Smith

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member

• 4,430 posts
  • LocationNor'east

Posted July 06 2013 - 04:56 AM

The letters mailed to Sony were unceremoniously returned, unopened.

#56 of 131 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,835 posts

Posted July 06 2013 - 06:53 AM

The letters mailed to Sony were unceremoniously returned, unopened. 

Correct....and thank you, Charles for being one of the many

members that helped.

Letters were written to Sony.  We had the correct address

and distributed them to our membership.  All of us had our

letters returned, unopened.

From what I am hearing, Sony (the company) is not interested

in supporting the effort to release this film as it should be.  I have

a feeling if we can't get the studio to change its mind one way

or another, it's going to be handed over to Twilight Time and 

released as a standard edition Blu-ray.

Just my thoughts.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#57 of 131 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,188 posts

Posted July 06 2013 - 09:21 AM

Right. I doubt Sony will release, but they still have to authorize Grover to do the work that would then be released through a license. That's where shows of support can help. Perhaps that means starting a Facebook petition, perhaps that means calls, if I had a great idea I'd share it here.That is what we are working towards, Sony in house reconstruction and then a license to a distributor. Of course we would love nothing more than to see the great work that Grover will do get released in house that just doesn't seem possible in the current climate.

#58 of 131 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,264 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted July 06 2013 - 09:32 AM

If you can determine a proper outlet for our fanaticism to make the point in the most effective way, just please let us know. 

#59 of 131 OFFLINE   JohnMor

JohnMor

Producer

• 3,618 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted July 06 2013 - 12:16 PM

Correct....and thank you, Charles for being one of the many

members that helped.

Letters were written to Sony.  We had the correct address

and distributed them to our membership.  All of us had our

letters returned, unopened.

Now that is just poor business practices.  You certainly don't have to heed what the public writes to you, but to not even care to open the letters?!

From what I am hearing, Sony (the company) is not interested

in supporting the effort to release this film as it should be.  I have

a feeling if we can't get the studio to change its mind one way

or another, it's going to be handed over to Twilight Time and 

released as a standard edition Blu-ray.

Just my thoughts.

Does that mean a blu ray of the dvd version?  If so, I'd be quite happy with that (as opposed to nothing, I mean.) 

#60 of 131 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,188 posts

Posted July 06 2013 - 12:22 PM

Twilight Time has no interest in releasing a Blu with only the DVD cut. They are wise and know that fans demand the "kitchen sink" version alongside it.This is what Peter Hunt wants, this is what Grover Crisp wants, and if nobody else is willing to release it, we know Twilight Time will do so, and we are so grateful to know this option exists.But Sony has to let Grover do his work before any of this happens.I think if someone with Facebook savvy starts a petition page, they can't return that unopened...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users