Paramount

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 OFFLINE   Peter Neski

Peter Neski

Supporting Actor

• 892 posts

Posted May 30 2013 - 10:42 AM

They did this with their last good show "The Good Wife"  No BR !!   This is a excellent looking show that deserves a BR

This is just those money hungry Viacom bums :)

#2 of 18 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,515 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted May 30 2013 - 11:16 AM

I won't be buying the DVD.  I would consider upgrading my iTunes digital HD downloads of the series to blu-ray.

#3 of 18 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,266 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted May 30 2013 - 12:16 PM

Yes, a great disappointment to be sure.

#4 of 18 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,570 posts

Posted September 18 2013 - 05:57 PM

Not only is it only on DVD, but it's interlaced.  Maybe that doesn't make a big difference, but it seems silly these days.

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#5 of 18 OFFLINE   schan1269

schan1269

HTF Expert

• 13,881 posts
  • LocationChicago-ish/NW Indiana

Posted September 18 2013 - 06:06 PM

Not only is it only on DVD, but it's interlaced. Maybe that doesn't make a big difference, but it seems silly these days.

A lot of DVDs of late are coming out 480i. Blame analog sunset and the BDA for requiring scalers to no longer work on P signals.

Sent from my LG-P769 using HTF mobile app

#6 of 18 OFFLINE   jcroy

jcroy

Supporting Actor

• 954 posts

Posted September 18 2013 - 07:26 PM

Not only is it only on DVD, but it's interlaced.  Maybe that doesn't make a big difference, but it seems silly these days.

For many American tv shows that are still "interlaced" on the dvd versions, it is sometimes a hard telecine with a 3:2 pulldown that is relatively easy to  deal with.  A simple inverse telecine (IVTC) will remove the "interlacing" in an almost lossless manner.

Hard telecine is a completely different story with interlaced animation dvds that are completely botched up.  (Some cannot be de-telecined at all).

In more subtle cases, the most annoying "interlacing" I ever came across is in progressive video sources, which has "interlacing" in the transitions from one scene to the next.  (This can be seen in the first episode of Stargate SG-1).

Edited by jcroy, September 18 2013 - 07:27 PM.

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   moovtune

moovtune

Stunt Coordinator

• 116 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted September 19 2013 - 09:56 AM

"Rookie Blue" was DVD only this season also, after two seasons of Blu-Ray releases. Needless to say, having bought the first two seasons, I passed on this one. What are the studios thinking these days?

#8 of 18 OFFLINE   jcroy

jcroy

Supporting Actor

• 954 posts

Posted September 19 2013 - 10:15 AM

"Rookie Blue" was DVD only this season also, after two seasons of Blu-Ray releases. Needless to say, having bought the first two seasons, I passed on this one. What are the studios thinking these days?

The same question could have been asked back in 2009-2011, where several tv shows were discontinued on bluray after releasing a season or two on bluray.  Shows like:

- Lie To Me

- Burn Notice

- Stargate Universe

- CSI

- White Collar

- NCIS: Los Angeles

- Damages

- Rescue Me

- etc ...

#9 of 18 OFFLINE   PaulaJ

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor

• 586 posts

Posted September 19 2013 - 11:10 AM

That is very disappointing about Elementary. Two other series I would have loved to see on Blu-ray are Leverage and The Mentalist. I am really surprised especially in the case of The Mentalist that there is no Blu-ray release.  At least Person of Interest (currently my favorite series) gets a Blu-ray release -- and I've bought both seasons, which I would not have done if it were only on DVD.

PaulaJ

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

captveg

• 7,204 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted September 19 2013 - 01:55 PM

Shouldn't this be on the TV DVD/BD board?

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#11 of 18 OFFLINE   Peter Neski

Peter Neski

Supporting Actor

• 892 posts

Posted September 19 2013 - 02:05 PM

well this is about BR not dvd  ,if one wants only dvd    it is available

#12 of 18 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,146 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted September 19 2013 - 07:28 PM

It is about TV on dvd and blu ray,might be why it was moved here.

facebook.com/whotony

#13 of 18 ONLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,506 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted September 20 2013 - 08:32 AM

For the first time ever, I opted to get a show in iTunes HD rather than settle for the DVD version of Elementary. The price had a bit to do with it. For some reason it was going for $25 a few weeks back.

One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,378 posts

Posted September 20 2013 - 08:37 AM

I can't figure out why Syfy puts out all their stuff on DVD only. Maybe they don't want us to see how shitty their special effects are on 1080p.

#15 of 18 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,743 posts

Posted September 20 2013 - 08:52 AM

I've already beaten this horse to death on this forum but when it comes to television....

No Blu-Ray, No Sale.

How does it make sense (from the consumer's perspective) to purchase a lower quality presentation of a program one was able to watch for free in an over the air HD broadcast?  It simply does not.  

Dear Paramount,

I won't be purchasing this show in a DVD format, but next week I will be spending my money on a Bd release of Hannibal.

- Walter.

Edited by Walter Kittel, September 20 2013 - 08:54 AM.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#16 of 18 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,649 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted September 20 2013 - 08:55 AM

I've already beaten this horse to death on this forum but when it comes to television....

No Blu-Ray, No Sale.

How does it make sense (from the consumer's perspective) to purchase a lower quality presentation of a program one was able to watch for free in an over the air HD broadcast?  It simply does not.  

Dear Paramount,

I won't be purchasing this show in a DVD format, but next week I will be spending my money on a Bd release of Hannibal.

- Walter.

Right on! 

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#17 of 18 OFFLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,649 posts

Posted September 20 2013 - 09:33 AM

Puzzling.  I can't figure why sales can't justify the release of both dvd, and Blu-Ray or both in one set.  Newer tv series seem to sell great no matter what format.   I'm still waiting for long running series like 'The Office' to have the first handful of seasons to be released on Blu-Ray.  At least 'The Big Bang Theory' has all the seasons available on Blu.

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#18 of 18 OFFLINE   jcroy

jcroy

Supporting Actor

• 954 posts

Posted September 28 2013 - 10:22 AM

No Blu-Ray, No Sale.

Over the last six/nine months or so, I have slowly been moving to this stance when it comes to current tv shows.

Though my reasons for doing this has less to do with the technical aspects of dvd vs. bluray, and more to do with limiting my patterns of "compulsively buying" tv season sets.  This makes my buying decisions a lot easier, due to not many tv shows being released on bluray.  Also for many current tv shows being released on bluray, I either have very little to no interest in the particular shows or I have seen every episode several times already.

At this point I have too many tv show season dvd sets which have been collecting dust, and where I have either not finished watching them or have not started watching them at all.

Over the last year or so of restricting my current tv season set purchases to bluray-only, it has largely dropped my purchases to around 3 or 4 bluray sets per annum.  (From last year's seasons, I picked up Person of Interest season 1, Nikita season 2, Fringe season 4, and Cinemax "Strike Back" season 1.  This year's seasons, so far I have only purchased the Netflix "House of Cards" season 1.  I don't know if I'm going to pick up any of this year's other bluray tv season sets).

Edited by jcroy, September 28 2013 - 10:27 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Paramount

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users