What's new

Paramount's "Elementary" DVD only No Blu Ray (1 Viewer)

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
They did this with their last good show "The Good Wife" No BR !! This is a excellent looking show that deserves a BR
This is just those money hungry Viacom bums :)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I won't be buying the DVD. I would consider upgrading my iTunes digital HD downloads of the series to blu-ray.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Not only is it only on DVD, but it's interlaced. Maybe that doesn't make a big difference, but it seems silly these days.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
JohnRice said:
Not only is it only on DVD, but it's interlaced. Maybe that doesn't make a big difference, but it seems silly these days.
A lot of DVDs of late are coming out 480i. Blame analog sunset and the BDA for requiring scalers to no longer work on P signals.Sent from my LG-P769 using HTF mobile app

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
JohnRice said:
For many American tv shows that are still "interlaced" on the dvd versions, it is sometimes a hard telecine with a 3:2 pulldown that is relatively easy to deal with. A simple inverse telecine (IVTC) will remove the "interlacing" in an almost lossless manner.

Hard telecine is a completely different story with interlaced animation dvds that are completely botched up. (Some cannot be de-telecined at all).

In more subtle cases, the most annoying "interlacing" I ever came across is in progressive video sources, which has "interlacing" in the transitions from one scene to the next. (This can be seen in the first episode of Stargate SG-1).

moovtune

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
"Rookie Blue" was DVD only this season also, after two seasons of Blu-Ray releases. Needless to say, having bought the first two seasons, I passed on this one. What are the studios thinking these days?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
moovtune said:
"Rookie Blue" was DVD only this season also, after two seasons of Blu-Ray releases. Needless to say, having bought the first two seasons, I passed on this one. What are the studios thinking these days?
The same question could have been asked back in 2009-2011, where several tv shows were discontinued on bluray after releasing a season or two on bluray. Shows like:

- Lie To Me
- Burn Notice
- Stargate Universe
- CSI
- White Collar
- NCIS: Los Angeles
- Damages
- Rescue Me
- etc ...

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
That is very disappointing about Elementary. Two other series I would have loved to see on Blu-ray are Leverage and The Mentalist. I am really surprised especially in the case of The Mentalist that there is no Blu-ray release. At least Person of Interest (currently my favorite series) gets a Blu-ray release -- and I've bought both seasons, which I would not have done if it were only on DVD.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
It is about TV on dvd and blu ray,might be why it was moved here.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
For the first time ever, I opted to get a show in iTunes HD rather than settle for the DVD version of Elementary. The price had a bit to do with it. For some reason it was going for $25 a few weeks back.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I can't figure out why Syfy puts out all their stuff on DVD only. Maybe they don't want us to see how shitty their special effects are on 1080p.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I've already beaten this horse to death on this forum but when it comes to television....

No Blu-Ray, No Sale.

How does it make sense (from the consumer's perspective) to purchase a lower quality presentation of a program one was able to watch for free in an over the air HD broadcast? It simply does not.

Dear Paramount,

I won't be purchasing this show in a DVD format, but next week I will be spending my money on a Bd release of Hannibal.

- Walter.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Walter Kittel said:
I've already beaten this horse to death on this forum but when it comes to television....

No Blu-Ray, No Sale.

How does it make sense (from the consumer's perspective) to purchase a lower quality presentation of a program one was able to watch for free in an over the air HD broadcast? It simply does not.

Dear Paramount,

I won't be purchasing this show in a DVD format, but next week I will be spending my money on a Bd release of Hannibal.

- Walter.
Right on!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Puzzling. I can't figure why sales can't justify the release of both dvd, and Blu-Ray or both in one set. Newer tv series seem to sell great no matter what format. I'm still waiting for long running series like 'The Office' to have the first handful of seasons to be released on Blu-Ray. At least 'The Big Bang Theory' has all the seasons available on Blu.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Walter Kittel said:

No Blu-Ray, No Sale.
Over the last six/nine months or so, I have slowly been moving to this stance when it comes to current tv shows.

Though my reasons for doing this has less to do with the technical aspects of dvd vs. bluray, and more to do with limiting my patterns of "compulsively buying" tv season sets. This makes my buying decisions a lot easier, due to not many tv shows being released on bluray. Also for many current tv shows being released on bluray, I either have very little to no interest in the particular shows or I have seen every episode several times already.

At this point I have too many tv show season dvd sets which have been collecting dust, and where I have either not finished watching them or have not started watching them at all.

Over the last year or so of restricting my current tv season set purchases to bluray-only, it has largely dropped my purchases to around 3 or 4 bluray sets per annum. (From last year's seasons, I picked up Person of Interest season 1, Nikita season 2, Fringe season 4, and Cinemax "Strike Back" season 1. This year's seasons, so far I have only purchased the Netflix "House of Cards" season 1. I don't know if I'm going to pick up any of this year's other bluray tv season sets).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks