What's new

Pink hue on tv with receiver (1 Viewer)

AlphaPie

Agent
Real Name
Lucax
A google search says my receiver is dying or I have some sort of handshake issue. I bought my receiver 48 hours ago. Turned it on and there was a heavy pink tint on tv. Checked all plugins and all was good there. Had to turn off and back on receiver to get a clear picture. Sure hope my $500 receiver can last longer and 3 days... Any thoughts?Running ps3 to denon 1913 to toshiba tv via hdmi

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Did you unhook and unplug everything from the wall?

If not, yep you have handshake issues. The OM for the 1913 should say that everything is to be unhooked and unplugged from the wall prior to connecting any HDMI/analog/digital audio.

AlphaPie

Agent
Real Name
Lucax
schan1269 said:
Did you unhook and unplug everything from the wall? If not, yep you have handshake issues. The OM for the 1913 should say that everything is to be unhooked and unplugged from the wall prior to connecting any HDMI/analog/digital audio.
I don't recall. I know the receiver was unplugged from the wall when I plugged everything else in to it. If I do unhook everything from the wall, will I lose the calibration and settings I have on my receiver now? This is a common issue and wouldn't be resolved by exchanging this receiver with a new one?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
HDCP
Handshake

Welcome to HDMI. When you add in ANY new HDMI device. You have to re-establish handshake. Period.

Everybody who doesn't follow "turn everything off, unplug everything from the wall, connect everything back together, then plug it in the wall...then turn it all on" has problems with HDCP.

pazzy_1978

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
Very usefull info indeed, so to get proper handshake "synced" you need to unplug everything ??? even from electricity source ?

tuffluck

Auditioning
Real Name
Evan
Sorry to revive an old post, but I am having the same problem. I have a Panny ST60, Denon 1713, Time Warner Motorola DCX3400, and Sony 5100. The only time I get a pink screen is when I turn on the unit about once every 3-4 days to watch Cable. I've never gotten the pink screen through the BD player. I've switched inputs for the Motorola on the Denon and a few days later get the pink screen again. Usually when I cycle off the AVR or the cable box only, the problem doesn't go away. If I shut off the TV only, when turned back on it is not pink. If I shut everything off, when turned back on it is not pink. This made me believe the TV is the culprit. The problem is so intermittent it's hard to troubleshoot.

I read this post and unplugged everything from the wall and plugged it all back in. I had previously (since before the last pink screen) unplugged some cables from the surge protector to reroute wiring, but can't be certain that the Motorola, Denon, and Panny were all unplugged simultaneously to correct any handshake issues. I didn't reseat any HDMI connections though after unplugging from the wall; should I?

I'm wondering if there is a way to expedite the troubleshooting process since tomorrow is technically the last day I can get an exchange on the TV (assuming the TV is actually the problem). Thanks for any help.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Pink hue, if just a cable box, is typically because the TV isn't liking the native resolution from the cable box...

Remedies(either...or both)

Turn off native resolution(so it picks "something" and sticks to it)
Set your resolutions on only the P(480P, 720P and 1080P...de-select 480i and 1080i)

tuffluck

Auditioning
Real Name
Evan
schan1269 said:
Pink hue, if just a cable box, is typically because the TV isn't liking the native resolution from the cable box...

Remedies(either...or both)

Turn off native resolution(so it picks "something" and sticks to it)
Set your resolutions on only the P(480P, 720P and 1080P...de-select 480i and 1080i)
Just checked and the cable had 1080i selected and 480i for 4:3. I changed it to 720p and 480p respectively, though the fact that *something* other than "native" was set, it seems to me this may not be the culprit?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, cable and telephone line are both inferior to satellite and OTA. Ergo...TV today like a robust signal. So feeding a TV an inferior "i" to produce 1080P...creates weirdness.

tuffluck

Auditioning
Real Name
Evan
schan1269 said:
Well broadcast is either...480i720P1080iIf your TV isn't liking the "i", you have to set the cable box to 480P and/or 720P.
I had it connected to another TV this way and never had the purple screen. For that matter the ARR is also new, so I'm really not sure how to figure out which is at fault in the system.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks