Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Sgt. Bilko

Paramount

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   maskedmala

maskedmala

Stunt Coordinator

• 165 posts

Posted April 23 2013 - 10:05 AM

I really can't believe that one of the most popular/succesful sitcom of all time, Sgt. Bilko (aka The Phil Silvers Show) is still stalled, at one season of a four seasons run, after all these years ( July 27, 2010). Somebody at CBS, please Wake up!!

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Sky Captain

Sky Captain

Second Unit

• 288 posts

Posted April 23 2013 - 10:58 AM

Maybe they realize that the audience for said show is quite old, and they don't buy DVD's in enough quantities to justify putting out more season sets? That could be it.

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker

• 3,183 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted April 23 2013 - 11:15 AM

I was hoping this was about the Steve Martin film :/
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   maskedmala

maskedmala

Stunt Coordinator

• 165 posts

Posted April 23 2013 - 11:21 AM

Sky Captain, I don't think your explanation's good. OK, maybe CBS is too stubborn to license Sgt Bilko to other DVD company but don't tell me that The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis (I like this show but it's not as well known as Sgt Bilko) will generate more money

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,097 posts

Posted April 24 2013 - 10:36 AM

Sky Captain, I don't think your explanation's good. OK, maybe CBS is too stubborn to license Sgt Bilko to other DVD company but don't tell me that The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis (I like this show but it's not as well known as Sgt Bilko) will generate more money

Absolutely, CBS seems to have lost interest in releasing classic sitcoms.  The best thing that could happen would be for them to start licensing them to other companies.

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,255 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted April 24 2013 - 02:20 PM

Absolutely, CBS seems to have lost interest in releasing classic sitcoms.  The best thing that could happen would be for them to start licensing them to other companies.

A friend of mine in England said that The British Phil Silvers Appreciation Society had contacted CBS HE about licensing Phil Silvers and apparently nothing ever came of it. 

CBS is one of the world's worst (in my opinion anyway) when it comes to their back catalog of classic TV. I'm still awaiting The Beverly Hillbillies Seasons 4-9, the rest of Barnaby Jones and Petticoat Junction.

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,150 posts

Posted April 25 2013 - 07:29 PM

I just hope CBS HE wakes up and starts releasing some of their classic TV shows, especially ones like Bilko and more L&S and the like.

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,097 posts

Posted April 26 2013 - 08:49 AM

POPULAR

Maybe they realize that the audience for said show is quite old, and they don't buy DVD's in enough quantities to justify putting out more season sets? That could be it.

Bonanza? Gunsmoke? Hello?  Despite your effort to troll into another thread, the real issue seems to be that CBS feels that drama oriented shows (especially, but not exclusively, westerns) sell better than sitcoms, except those featuring Lucy.  I am not really sure why that is as it seems to me that sitcoms hold up better to repeat viewings than do dramas, but it seems to be the pattern of their classic releases.

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray

Screenwriter

• 1,599 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted April 26 2013 - 09:13 AM

Bonanza? Gunsmoke? Hello?  Despite your effort to troll into another thread, the real issue seems to be that CBS feels that drama oriented shows (especially, but not exclusively, westerns) sell better than sitcoms, except those featuring Lucy.  I am not really sure why that is as it seems to me that sitcoms hold up better to repeat viewings than do dramas, but it seems to be the pattern of their classic releases.

I agree.  I don't revisit dramas nearly as often as I do comedies.  Most of the B&W dramatic shows I am purchasing, such as Dr. Kildare, Gunsmoke, Peter Gunn and even Alfred Hitchcock Presents I am watching for the first time, as I was too young to appreciate them back when they originally aired.  I was too busy watching Lucy.

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Ron1973

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

• 1,255 posts
  • LocationSE Missouri

Posted April 26 2013 - 12:02 PM

I like viewing Bonanza (especially the so-called "lost" episodes) from time to time as well as Gunsmoke. They all seem too formulaic to me. I'd much rather have a sitcom!!!

Find me on Facebook

My blog

Jethro, how come there's no ice in Californy? ~ Uncle Jed

Don't look at me, I didn't take it! ~ Jethro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users