What's new

Sgt. Bilko (1 Viewer)

maskedmala

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Maurice
I really can't believe that one of the most popular/succesful sitcom of all time, Sgt. Bilko (aka The Phil Silvers Show) is still stalled, at one season of a four seasons run, after all these years ( July 27, 2010). Somebody at CBS, please Wake up!!

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
Maybe they realize that the audience for said show is quite old, and they don't buy DVD's in enough quantities to justify putting out more season sets? That could be it.

maskedmala

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Maurice
Sky Captain, I don't think your explanation's good. OK, maybe CBS is too stubborn to license Sgt Bilko to other DVD company but don't tell me that The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis (I like this show but it's not as well known as Sgt Bilko) will generate more money

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
maskedmala said:
Sky Captain, I don't think your explanation's good. OK, maybe CBS is too stubborn to license Sgt Bilko to other DVD company but don't tell me that The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis (I like this show but it's not as well known as Sgt Bilko) will generate more money
Absolutely, CBS seems to have lost interest in releasing classic sitcoms. The best thing that could happen would be for them to start licensing them to other companies.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
JoeDoakes said:
Absolutely, CBS seems to have lost interest in releasing classic sitcoms. The best thing that could happen would be for them to start licensing them to other companies.
A friend of mine in England said that The British Phil Silvers Appreciation Society had contacted CBS HE about licensing Phil Silvers and apparently nothing ever came of it.

CBS is one of the world's worst (in my opinion anyway) when it comes to their back catalog of classic TV. I'm still awaiting The Beverly Hillbillies Seasons 4-9, the rest of Barnaby Jones and Petticoat Junction.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Sky Captain said:
Maybe they realize that the audience for said show is quite old, and they don't buy DVD's in enough quantities to justify putting out more season sets? That could be it.
Bonanza? Gunsmoke? Hello? Despite your effort to troll into another thread, the real issue seems to be that CBS feels that drama oriented shows (especially, but not exclusively, westerns) sell better than sitcoms, except those featuring Lucy. I am not really sure why that is as it seems to me that sitcoms hold up better to repeat viewings than do dramas, but it seems to be the pattern of their classic releases.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
JoeDoakes said:
Bonanza? Gunsmoke? Hello? Despite your effort to troll into another thread, the real issue seems to be that CBS feels that drama oriented shows (especially, but not exclusively, westerns) sell better than sitcoms, except those featuring Lucy. I am not really sure why that is as it seems to me that sitcoms hold up better to repeat viewings than do dramas, but it seems to be the pattern of their classic releases.
I agree. I don't revisit dramas nearly as often as I do comedies. Most of the B&W dramatic shows I am purchasing, such as Dr. Kildare, Gunsmoke, Peter Gunn and even Alfred Hitchcock Presents I am watching for the first time, as I was too young to appreciate them back when they originally aired. I was too busy watching Lucy.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
JoeDoakes said:
I like viewing Bonanza (especially the so-called "lost" episodes) from time to time as well as Gunsmoke. They all seem too formulaic to me. I'd much rather have a sitcom!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks