Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Shirley Temple Collection

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 of 15 OFFLINE   Wer4God2

Wer4God2

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted April 04 2013 - 04:37 PM

Hi,

I'm new this forum, so bear with me please.   I just bought, via Amazon, Shirley Temple Collection on DVD.  It was to replace the VHS collection my mother left to  me when she passed away.  As I sorted through the videos I notice that Poor Little Rich Girl was not a part of the DVD collection.  I'm shocked!  My mother introduced me to Shirley Temple and we would sit and watch her shows almost every night before retiring to bed.  Does anyone out there know of where I can get this one on DVD?  I donated my VHS collection to a granddaughter of a coworker of my husband, so she can continue on enjoying one of America's Sweethearts:  Mrs. Shirley Temple Black.  Thank you

#2 of 15 OFFLINE   Escapay

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator

• 239 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Time and Space

Posted April 04 2013 - 04:57 PM

Hi Sue.

I'm assuming the collection you're talking about is the "Little Darling" collection released last year?  The collection simply gathers the six collections originally released between 2005 and 2008, which encompass 18 of her films.  As a result, it does not include the following six films, which Fox never released to DVD:

Managed Money (1934)

Change of Heart (1934)
Now I'll Tell (1934)
Our Little Girl (1935)
Poor Little Rich Girl (1936)
Ali Baba Goes to Town (1937)

As you can see, Poor Little Rich Girl is included among the six titles.  Hope that helps. :)

Perhaps Fox will see it fit to release these titles in their burn-on-demand "Cinema Archive" series.

#3 of 15 OFFLINE   LouA

LouA

Supporting Actor

• 596 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted April 04 2013 - 05:10 PM

I don't know why Poor Little  Rich Girl wasn't included in the collection you purchased. It doesn't seem to be available on DVD in the USA .If you go back to Amazon, and go to Amazon UK  there is a DVD version of that movie avaiable from England In the PAL format  , but then you need an all region DVD player to play it.You can find one online for about $100.00  I don't know if you want to go to that expense but I figured I'd let you know about that option. Hope this helps .

#4 of 15 OFFLINE   Miguel M Santos

Miguel M Santos

Stunt Coordinator

• 204 posts

Posted April 04 2013 - 06:20 PM

I don't know why Poor Little  Rich Girl wasn't included in the collection you purchased. It doesn't seem to be available on DVD in the USA .If you go back to Amazon, and go to Amazon UK  there is a DVD version of that movie avaiable from England In the PAL format  , but then you need an all region DVD player to play it.You can find one online for about $100.00  I don't know if you want to go to that expense but I figured I'd let you know about that option. Hope this helps .

I am not sure where you got the $100.00, but Amazon.co.uk currently sells the PAL DVD either for £12.99 (about $20) or £6.77 (around $10.00), depending on the edition (both by Fox) plus postage to the US.

#5 of 15 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,635 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted April 04 2013 - 06:23 PM

The film does show up occasionally on TCM and FMC, but the
DVD-r that I made is not a great transfer. That may be why Fox never put it out on DVD. It is full of dirt and damage.

#6 of 15 OFFLINE   David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,675 posts

Posted April 04 2013 - 06:29 PM

I am not sure where you got the $100.00, but Amazon.co.uk currently sells the PAL DVD either for £12.99 (about $20) or £6.77 (around $10.00), depending on the edition (both by Fox) plus postage to the US.

I think the $100 figure referred to a multi-region player, not the film.   Although players with hackable codes can be purchased for about half that figure.

#7 of 15 OFFLINE   JoHud

JoHud

Screenwriter

• 2,728 posts

Posted April 04 2013 - 07:30 PM

I've only been able to find colorized versions of Poor Little Rich Girl.  Do any of those retailers sell it in B&W?  I don't mind if it's a lackluster transfer as long as it's not colorized.

#8 of 15 OFFLINE   JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes

Screenwriter

• 2,015 posts

Posted April 05 2013 - 07:58 AM

I've only been able to find colorized versions of Poor Little Rich Girl.  Do any of those retailers sell it in B&W?  I don't mind if it's a lackluster transfer as long as it's not colorized.

My guess is that your best bet is to buy the old VHS and convert it to DVD.  Poor Little Rich Girl is one of Shirley's best films and it's a shame it's not available.  My guesses as to why would be either rights complications with the story (Mary Pickford made a film called Poor Little Rich Girl) or with the music.  Nevertheless, during the Fox poll, I kept requesting that they release Poor Little Rich Girl on blu ray.  It really deserves something.

#9 of 15 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,051 posts

Posted April 05 2013 - 02:03 PM

I believe Wdrake.com has the official set of her films at a decent price and yes, they are licensed and official...http://www.wdrake.co....aspx?id=337827

Poor Little Rich Girl...http://www.google.co...iw=1333&bih=665

#10 of 15 OFFLINE   LouA

LouA

Supporting Actor

• 596 posts
  • LocationNew jersey

Posted April 05 2013 - 03:42 PM

The $100.00 would be to buy an all region DVD player rto play the PAL sytem disc which won;t pplay in US NTSC palyers.

#11 of 15 OFFLINE   Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor

• 872 posts

Posted April 05 2013 - 10:20 PM

Poor Little Rich Girl and Our Little Girl have both been released in the UK.

Change of Heart has been released as part of 20th Century Fox's MOD series.

Now I'll Tell appears to be the only feature still unreleased somewhere in the world (I believe Managed Money was a short and Temple didn't appear in Ali Baba Goes to Town that I'm aware of although Fox has released this also in the US).

#12 of 15 OFFLINE   alistairKerr

alistairKerr

Stunt Coordinator

• 87 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted April 08 2013 - 12:57 AM

Poor Little Rich Girl and Our Little Girl have both been released in the UK.

Change of Heart has been released as part of 20th Century Fox's MOD series.

Now I'll Tell appears to be the only feature still unreleased somewhere in the world (I believe Managed Money was a short and Temple didn't appear in Ali Baba Goes to Town that I'm aware of although Fox has released this also in the US).

I think that the reason Shirley Temple is mentioned in connection with "Ali Baba Goes To Town" is that she appears with other Fox stars as part of the "film premiere" sequence at the finale of this film. It looks like newsreel footage to me,

Alistair

#13 of 15 OFFLINE   Nick Eden

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator

• 190 posts

Posted April 11 2013 - 05:09 AM

Got the UK release of Poor Little Rich Girl. Unfortunately, it is the awful colorised version and that version only. Such a shame.

#14 of 15 OFFLINE   WadeM

WadeM

Supporting Actor

• 906 posts

Posted April 11 2013 - 01:01 PM

This used to be available in numerous editions on Amazon, none of which were official. It's beyond me that one of Shirley's biggest films hasn't been properly released in Region 1.

#15 of 15 OFFLINE   rmw650

rmw650

Screenwriter

• 1,051 posts

Posted July 25 2014 - 01:08 AM

Just curious, which of Shirley Temple's films are still not available on DVD or VHS?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users